GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend was quite warm here in the Seattle area and I notice that when the cooling fan kicked in, it was noisier than usual. Is this something I need to have a mechanic look at?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Some 07 -08s had fan blades that were close to the radiator and rubbed holes in the tubes. You can see the blades from the bottom of the faring and spin them with your hand to see if they are hitting.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
This past weekend was quite warm here in the Seattle area and I notice that when the cooling fan kicked in, it was noisier than usual. Is this something I need to have a mechanic look at?
What year? I believe the 08 had an issue with the left fan rubbing on the radiator.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Check for bug residue in the radiators. Spray hydrogen proxide on them, let it sit for a bit, and then hose them out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give the fan a spin tomorrow, if all is good then I'll hose down the radiator, hopefully its something simple. My bike is a 08.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One more thing, especially considering heat & roads - - I had a loud noise start in the fan this summer too - - I flushed with water & did all the usual stuff this good board recommended and nothing fixed it... I was really starting to worry about permanent damage to the radiator fins, but I could not find any place where fan blades were contacting radiator.... I ended up removing shelter and prying plastic pieces apart to get better access to fan/radiator- - only to find that I had picked up a little piece of asphalt which had hardened in the Fan blade trackway... just had to get a screwdriver in there and break it away (which wasn't easy), but saved alot of probable wear & tear, & a mechanics fee!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How difficult is it to removed the 'shelter'?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, this is Dee...the second part of the name. Joe is my 'husband-to-be'. I'm gonna brag a bit. I took off the meter panel this morning and cleaned out all the bugs & junk behind the speaker grills. Then I got everything back together, yahoo! So, then I decided to take out the left fairing pocket, cause that is the side where the fan noise was coming from. Lo and behold-the wiring for the voltage meter had slipped under the fan guard and the fan was cutting into the wiring. Now Joe gets to fix the wiring and tuck it in a better place than the dealer did when they installed the voltage meter. I'm likin this taking apart my bike suff:cool:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Everytime I wash my bike I use the hose to flush the area between the radiator and the fan (I have a 2002). I picked up a gravel somewhere, once upon a time, and the fan eventually ground the rock into the radiator. My radiator looked much like the one in the following photo (another fortunate rider's radiator):

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Everytime I wash my bike I use the hose to flush the area between the radiator and the fan (I have a 2002). I picked up a gravel somewhere, once upon a time, and the fan eventually ground the rock into the radiator. My radiator looked much like the one in the following photo (another fortunate rider's radiator):
wingnutzz....... Isn't that '02 getting tired by now climbing all those beautiful mountains..........:superman1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts