GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Goldwing. When the cooling fan kicks on there is a rather loud rattling sound. The fan seems to work fine and I've had no overheating issues.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? Thoughts?

Matt

·
Registered
338 Posts
...or the bushings in the fan motor are worn out. OR, there is a cracked fan blade...

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
When the fans kick on, verify which side is making noise. Then turn the engine off and inspect the fan while looking through from the front with a flash light. Look for any breaks in the plastic fan blades and outer ring. Also look for any leaves or small debris that the fan might be hitting. Check for any indications of the fan rubbing on the radiator. For me it usually helps to have a long screw driver to reach in and spin the fan by hand. If nothing is found from the front, remove the pocket above the fan. Look under the pocket. Sometimes there can be wires rubbing on the top of the fan, or a rats nest of wires putting so much pressure on the plastic around the fan that the plastic warps into the blades.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
2010 Goldwing. When the cooling fan kicks on there is a rather loud rattling sound. The fan seems to work fine and I've had no overheating issues.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? Thoughts?

Matt
Watch out, just a small rock in there can cause it to eat the radiator. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Have a sticky beak ( peek ), or take it to a shop.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Let’s hope that it’s not that missing 10mm 1/4” socket you dropped in the dark abis last service??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GLBlinded,

That's funny. It made me think back to the last air filter change I did wondering if I dropped anything during that process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. A preliminary inspection revealed a bird wedged up against the cage that is in front of the fan. Unfortunately, after removing the bird the rattling noise continues. I am wondering if the fan was damaged by the bird strike. Next step is to remove the pocket above the area to see if anything can be seen from their.

Matt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mystery has been solved. A small metal audio connector piece had gotten into the fan. It was left over from a GPS installation that was done a couple of years ago and finally worked its way into the fan. Good news is that I don't have to replace the fan or fan motor.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts