GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Alan Leduc’s tip on the gl1800 fans and reversed it. I did a test of the fan after I flipped it. I find that there is no air coming from the center of the fan when it is running in the push direction. Is that why he trimmed the blades? Can anyone give any new tips on this. I had the ecm changed but feel that the fans are the real problem

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I believe that he trimmed the edges of the fan blades so that they would not dig into the radiators and cause a leak. Also, I would think it would be normal for no air to flow from the middle of a fan because there is nothing there to move it. Just the hub which does not move air.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am talking about were the fan bladed are. my bike would hit the red every day in NY city traffic. i had the ECM done but have not used the bike since. i have it all apart to do some custom lights now.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Procedure

Wouldn't it make sense to ride the bike in traffic to see if the Honda fix worked before doing your own fix?

I'm just thinking of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto. There has to be some reason that Honda didn't want to do the fan direction fix.

But I must admit, I don't know why.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Procedure

Deadeye-USMV said:
Wouldn't it make sense to ride the bike in traffic to see if the Honda fix worked before doing your own fix?

I'm just thinking of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto. There has to be some reason that Honda didn't want to do the fan direction fix.

But I must admit, I don't know why.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the reason. It would have cost them far more in labor hours to do a fan reversal than an ECM change. Also, I am almost certain that they are taking the old ECM's and reprogramming them so they don't lose any money on parts by swapping.

·
Registered
810 Posts
How Did You Reverse the Fans

When you said you reversed the fans, are you saying that you simply reversed the polarity or that you actually pulled the fans out and reversed their air flow.

If you just reversed the polarity, I suggest you put it back as that concept simply won't work due to the pitch of the fans.

If you reversed the blades, then you should get a good flow outbound on the radiator and feel it just outside of the bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i flipped the blade and the wires. if you hold your hand i front of the fan i can't feel any air from the blades. the right fan spins counterclockwise. i will have to connect it to the radiator to see if any air will flow out. it was alot of work to remove and them mod the spacer and shaft to flip the blade. i may just put a new spacer in and leave it alone. the dealer change the ECM but he didn't do the rest of the thing that goes along with it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MotorcycleBoy,
So far I have not heard of MH collecting the old ECMs. The one I saw appeared to be epoxy filled. Most automotive electronic modules are this way to lessen the effects of vibration and shock.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Are you sure that your fans are turning. You can see them if you look in from the front of the fairing. I flipped my fan blades, switched the wires, but ground down the plastic/metal mounting bosses on the housings instead of grinding on the motor shafts. Mine work fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didn't try the fans in the bike. i tried it with it out of the bike. i think your way would be easier than the grinding of the shaft. i didn't think that it would be that easy to gringd the mount so i went the way of the shaft. how did you grind the mount? what tool did you use? is there enough tread left after you did that?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Let me get this straight.?

I got a 04 no over heatting yet,not hot enough. I never had the fans come on yet even going 20mph for 15 miles.Does the fan blow out the side or suck into middle? I think the air comes in the big front cowl and exit the sides ,if the fan blows out what 's the problem?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Purp... You must be new to all this.

Honda designed the Cooling System backwards from all previous Wings. The Fans SUCK inward from the sides and try to BLOW out the Front of the Bike. Kinda like Pi$$n in the Wind. To make that work at all they had to build in a Fan Cut-Off that shuts off the motors at all speeds above 15 MPH, it's just too hard to push all that Hot Air forward into the incomming Air Stream. That results in problems at times with some bikes under some conditions where the Forward Speed is around 10 to 15 MPH fighting a Head Wind or under high load resulting it too little air flow to cool the radiators. Another condition can occur at speeds above 15 MPH to about 20 or 25 MPH with a Tail Wind that results in a Null Air Flow over the Radiators. Remember the Fans are Shut Off at all speeds above 15 MPH no matter how HOT the engine gets.

Some have OH problems and others don't. The BIG Problem is the Action / Re-Action between those who do and those who don't have OH problem's.

American Honda ignored Honda of Japans recomendation to install Larger Radiators at an angle with Larger Fans outboard to pull the Air through them in line with the normal Air Flow. The Result is American Honda's SB-13 that checks for known Head Casting Faults, Plugged Radiators and Adds a Resistor inline with the Temp Gauge if needed to lower it's needle position. As an afterthought they also replaced the non-programable ECM to modify the FI or Ignition control at low speeds to prolong the time it takes to OH the engine. NOTE Honda's own testing, as reported to the NHTSA, states that the ECM change only prolongs the time to an OH condition and does not prevent it. It was deemed the least expensive repair they could make to avoid rebuilding the Cooling System and replacing the Fairings to accomidate the changes on all current 1800's.

Honda may or may not incorperate the modifications layed out by the Experts in Japan in the '05 models.
We will just have to wait and see if they change it or simply drop the 1800 and replace it with a new model to get out from under all the bad press over SB-13 (Over Heat) and SB-14 (Broken Frames).

Jerry

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Let me get this straight.?

Purple Haze said:
I got a 04 no over heatting yet,not hot enough. I never had the fans come on yet even going 20mph for 15 miles.Does the fan blow out the side or suck into middle? I think the air comes in the big front cowl and exit the sides ,if the fan blows out what 's the problem?
Thats the problem. The fans pull air in from the side and blow it out the front. At certain speeds for any length of time or when you have a tail wind that matches your forward speed the result is little to no airflow across the radiators. The result is a rise in coolant temperature and possible overheating of the engine. Somehow the ECM change is supposed to over-ride the laws of thermodynamics and prevent overheating. What they really do is install a new resistor wire harness before the temperature gauge that prevents it from ever reaching the red zone.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
hitechrr said:
how did you grind the mount? what tool did you use? is there enough tread left after you did that?
I used a hi-speed sander/grinder similar to this one from HF, only with a 1/5 - 2.0 disk. I ground off about an 1/8" off each mount. There was plenty of thread left using the original bolts. I only had to use a washer as a spacer on one mount.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=90239

·
Registered
64 Posts
ECM replacement / Over heating / Frame Reweld

Hey Guys or Gals, I just got my '03 GL1800 back from my dealer. My bike has 48,500 miles on it. They found a crack and sent it back to Marysville for rewelding. They did a good job and in a very good time frame. My dealer called and said my bike was ready and the ECM upgrade was done. They did a great job; however, after riding about 300 mile I lost all power and had to call Towbusters. My bike will be delivered to my dealers tomorrow. My question is, has anyone heard of anyone having trouble with the ECM replacement? Mine sure didn't last long.
Thanks, Bobb

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good Report

Jerry,
Your explanation is excellent, and thorough. I would think that anyone selling a Wing would want to give it to the new buyer so they don't have to flounder in the dark about such issues.

I'm going to print it and save it for future reference.

So far, I have had every problem, known to man, with the GL1800, and have had all the fixes. Honda has even compensated me due to the extreme lemon experience.......

....and, I still won't change the fan flow. I bet the fans will suck no matter what direction they flow.

But, I still love this machine!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i took lucky phil's advise and cut the housing on the left side fan. that work fine also. they don't blow much air when they are off the bike but blow fine when installed. they do push thru the fan now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I sent an response to an email sent to me regarding this.

NOTE. THIS IS NOT MY TIP. In fact, I think this might actually void your warranty.

I have several pages that I created a year or so ago that summarized tips from varioius forums. The home forum tips page has a disclaimer that stipulates this.

I have left the pages for other to consider, but you should go back and research before jumping in.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I here you Big Al2000

I will sure look you up if problem arise.I had five bike with fans,and made all of them manual with a switch,but all made air flow the correct way. I only got 3700 on PH the gage don't get above 1/2 way,in any condition.I am an old Instrument Tech and I know they can trick circuits or gages,not to read full scale. I read about Hondas denial of the problem,also read the horror post of sad bikers.I still gave up a 99 I/S Valk for this machine,took a loss,but this bike is Awesome.
Thanks again AL 2000,and Best Regards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts