GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm in the Gatlinburg area, I like to ride the Roaring Fork passage, about 20 miles of up/down winding back road. (New to you? Worth looking into!) However, it's pretty much custom-made to bring on the dreaded and mysterious GL low speed overheat problem. It sure did the last time I rode it on my '04 -- I had to pull over about 12 times to let it cool down.

The question is this: When the bike's too hot and you're letting it cool down, does it help or hurt to raise the r.pm. above idle, to maybe 1200 or so?

The old conventional wisdom for passenger cars (which the GL isn't, yeah, I know..) is that it helps to keep the engine speed above idle to keep the coolant circulating faster, hence cooling the engine faster. I don't know why the GL would be much different, but I wonder how anyone would be able to answer the question in any definitive manner -- beyond "what makes sense".

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If the temperature gage routinely moves often pass it’s normal spot you want to check the coolant level or make sure the reserve tank is full. If you are going to slow for long period of time it is normal for the fans to come on. You have to go fast enough for the engine to properly cool.

Donnie

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If the temperature gage routinely moves often pass it’s normal spot you want to check the coolant level or make sure the reserve tank is full. If you are going to slow for long period of time it is normal for the fans to come on. You have to go fast enough for the engine to properly cool.

Donnie

The early 1800's (01-05) were prone to this issue. In 2006, they changed up the cooling system and put in larger radiators...

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
The early 1800's (01-05) were prone to this issue. In 2006, they changed up the cooling system and put in larger radiators...
....but they ('06 and higher) could still have issues with cooling, due to air bubbles in the cooling system.

It can be a bear to cure. Proper purge and fill will cure that, as it did on my '06 way back when.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The "conventional wisdom", as it is being called here, is a very old belief that goes back to the days when engines had engine mounted mechanical fans that turned faster with higher rpm. Everything made in the last 30+ years has an electric fan.

Even in the days of mechanical fans, it was probably a self defeating exercise, because the extra cooling of the faster spinning fan would be offset by the increased heat from the higher rpm. If idle won't cool down the engine, then there is something wrong with the bike.

Any road that requires you to ride so slow that the engine will overheat isn't worth riding. Solution: Find a better road. 17 states, 18 years, and over 100K, and my 02 has never even threatened to overheat. If I hadn't read about it on the Internet years ago, I would never have even known anyone had a problem.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
When I'm in the Gatlinburg area, I like to ride the Roaring Fork passage, about 20 miles of up/down winding back road. (New to you? Worth looking into!) However, it's pretty much custom-made to bring on the dreaded and mysterious GL low speed overheat problem. It sure did the last time I rode it on my '04 -- I had to pull over about 12 times to let it cool down.

The question is this: When the bike's too hot and you're letting it cool down, does it help or hurt to raise the r.pm. above idle, to maybe 1200 or so?

The old conventional wisdom for passenger cars (which the GL isn't, yeah, I know..) is that it helps to keep the engine speed above idle to keep the coolant circulating faster, hence cooling the engine faster. I don't know why the GL would be much different, but I wonder how anyone would be able to answer the question in any definitive manner -- beyond "what makes sense".
We ran an 03 and and 08 side-by-side for about 6 years.

The 03 would always turn the fans on sooner than the 08. (presumably due to the larger cooling system) Getting caught in stop and go was the usual cause.
We always just let it/them idle if stopped and if it wasn't possible to drive at a higher speed to get temps back down.

Never had one hot enough to loose coolant, but did try to either speed up or stop when fans wanted to run.

Roaring fork looks like a hoot. Can you ride all the way around the loop?
Looks like it's one-way only?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts