GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a cooling vest such as the evaporation type? These Georgia summers are brutal. Thanks, John

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have used these vests, the evap cooling just dosent work well in the south. ( I see you are from Ga.) Out west, is another story. They are great, but, the wet wont last long. The first few minutes are a real shock:22yikes: on a 100deg. day. In the south though, you wind up sitting in a puddle. Bad ju ju for the sittin parts!!:oops:

Hope this helped. ...................Don

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
These things work on evaproative cooling. The higher the humidity the less evaporation takes place. They work good out west in low humidity but down in the steamy south we are outa luck.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
we used them last year on our trip around the country...
they worked great in temps under 95 to 100...
Anything over that,, they evaporate very quickly...
We used them going through Death Valley with the temp at 120,,
And they worked for about 15 minutes and then they were dry as a bone..
Other than that, we really like them...And plan to take them with us on all
our summer trips...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
as has been said they work well in low humidity. Here in Arizona where all I need is about an hour to get out of the heat, I hydrate it leaving it quite wet and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge. Now its really cold works quite well for about an hour or an hour and a half. Of course if you have an ice chest then it really works well because you can recharge it with cold water. I don't use it a lot but when I do it really comes in handy.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if i could try one out for a day in the summer, i probably would buy one

but, i sure wouldnt spend a cent on one, without a test

i already bought enough stuff that someone --claimed-- worked well

anyone out there feel like selling one ??

M

·
0 Posts
I like this cool Wing vest. I would like to know how long it will stay cool in 80 degree temps.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used an evaporative vest last July riding from Colorado to NC and back.

Gave it a soaking at each gas stop and it worked very well (not as good in the high humidity) under a mesh jacket.

On the return trip across Kansas it hit 108 and had to stop after an hour to recharge.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
we used them last year on our trip around the country...
they worked great in temps under 95 to 100...
Anything over that,, they evaporate very quickly...
We used them going through Death Valley with the temp at 120,,
And they worked for about 15 minutes and then they were dry as a bone..
Other than that, we really like them...And plan to take them with us on all
our summer trips...
:agree:
I bought one and used it going out to Las Vegas at 115+ degrees. It was very nice, but at that heat, with ~zero humidity they don't stay wet very long. They definitely work, but you have to 'recharge' them often in temps over 100.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Scattergun there is no problem going through Death Valley in the summer. It is not that hot on the road necessarily. The last time I went through there in the summer it was only 107. Not too bad. There are adequate places to stop and get water or whatever and the distance to the next possible stopping point is not much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used these under an Aerostitch Roadcrafter on a 95 degree/85% humidity day in Michigan last summer. It worked great. Maximum cooling lasts for 2 hours followed by 2 more hours of ok cooling until the chemical melts. I carry a small cooler on my bike to swap out the coldpacks as needed.

www.coolsport.net

·
Registered
927 Posts
The wife and I have the vest from http://www.coolwingrider.com/ and have been happy with them in the 95*F + days. They do not require you to soak your shirt with water and work well in both dry & humid days. There is a member of this board named FASTMVR that was selling them along with his dad. We bought extra chemical packs and swap them out at each fuel stop. They recharge quickly if you chose to skip the extra packs. We wear them in combination with mesh jackets & pants.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Like everyone has said, the evaporative vests work great in low humidity environments -- not so great in high humidity environments. I have not used it, but found this product: http://www.climatechsafety.com/LiteAir.aspx, which claims to work by circulating air via battery-operated fans, which might be the answer for high humidity environments.

I can't seem to find the reference for it now, but the ones I got for wife and me I found at a Forest Service Supply site. They were light cotton vests filled with some kind of gel beads that swelled up when soaked in water for 10-15 minutes. They were inexpensive ($20), worked well and seemed to stay wet for 4-5 hours, even in high heat. But be sure they are completely DRY before putting them away, because they can sure STINK later if packed away wet!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts