GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready for a new seat and interested in Fire and Ice from Corbin. Wondering if anyone has purchased this seat and if you are pleased with purchase. I was ready to just buy the heated seat but talked to a Corbin support person and he highly suggested the Fire and Ice.

I like being able to control front and back heat separately and also to have incremental control. I believe you loose that with the Fire and Ice.

Are you pleased with your purchase? Would you make the same choice if you were to order again? Also in what state do you live? The cooling feature is probably very useful in Arizona or Florida but perhaps not so much elsewhere. Thank you in advance.
John

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i hear the ice part is more of a gimmick. not a noticeable difference. i have the regular corbin with the stock seat controls and i love it. i can ride all day on it

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wrote to Corbin and never heard back. Asked if they were working on a better solution for the switches for thr fire and ice. I'd gladly drop the money (love Corbin seats) but the switch looks terrible and the lack of functionality is a non starter. Should have separate controls using factory for heat and they should supply a harness and switches to install for the cooling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like my fire and ice. What I notice about the cooling is it’s best to turn it on right away when I know I’m going to be hot. If I wait till I’m overheated it’s still helpful, but it’s most effective used early on. I’ve only had mine a couple months and since the plague hit I’m working from home and riding a lot less, so I need more time for a better evaluation. The switch is not attractive, but it’s not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the same heating pads are what do the cooling according to the fellow I spoke with. There are two fans for both rider and passenger. I do not live in the South and the need for cooling is not that great here. I appreciate the comments but leaning towards the non Ice. I love my 2 prior seats from Corbin and will be placing order tomorrow. I was going to wait until spring but wondering why wait when I could be enjoying now? Thanks for comments.

I wrote to Corbin and never heard back. Asked if they were working on a better solution for the switches for thr fire and ice.
I spoke with Corbin employee today and I asked if they're working on a solution for the stock switches vs Corbin/s switch and he said no. With Ice, both front and passenger have full on heat or no heat. I am disappointed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a good solution to losing my Gold Strike passenger cup holder? While I do not use it, my passenger might notice. I am getting the driver backrest and wondered if anyone has used the back of the backrest to mount a cup holder.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Those of you who have the Corbin seat, four questions please,
  1. Any issue with reach to the bars? I hear the Corbin seat moves you back so I’m worried about that.
  2. Does the backrest attach/detach easily?
  3. Does the backrest tilt forward and back or is it set in one position only?
  4. How does the heated/cooled seat connect to power? Is it just straight to the battery or does it come with any kind of plug and play harness?

·
Registered
126 Posts
1. I’m 6’1” with a 34” inseam. The only difference I noticed was my knee bend was less cramped due to being further back. I really didn’t notice the difference in reach to the bars.
4. The fire and ice attaches to some accessory terminal on the left side of the bike. I think it was right next to the battery, but don’t remember exactly. It was easy to connect and is “dead” with the bike turned off. You do need to purchase something to plug into the seat wiring harness to fool the bike into thinking the factory seat is plugged in to avoid an error. Corbin tells you what to buy. It’s around $50.
I did not get a backrest.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you have issues with hip cramps the Fire and Ice seat could exacerbate that because the seat sits you lower on the bike which raises your knees higher than on the stock seat when your feet are on the stock pegs.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm really tempted by the Fire & Ice Smuggler, but the purchase price in the UK works out at over 2,300 US dollars... just not realistic for a seat unfortunately. If I got a lottery win along the way I'd probably go for it though!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought the F&I Smuggler and really like it. The smuggler is very handy for small items, gloves, hat, etc. The switch is very big and look kinda ugly but I painted the plate black so it's not as bad. The fit wasn't very good but I adjusted things so it's close now. The ice part works as advertised. It's 10-15ºF cooler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts