GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok This is what I am working on.

2001 Gl1800A

This is my dilema.. I just purchased a Corbin seat off a 2006. It is set up to plug into the bikes harness.

My 2001 of course doesnt have the OE seat heaters.

Any ideas on solutions?

I am good at soldering and heat shrinking

Thanks

John

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
trade for mine that doesn't have the wiring harness for the 06!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wife says we need cash just lost jog so I am going to sell it looking for 850 wil get on classified today pay pal ok

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok This is what I am working on.

2001 Gl1800A

This is my dilema.. I just purchased a Corbin seat off a 2006. It is set up to plug into the bikes harness.

My 2001 of course doesnt have the OE seat heaters.

Any ideas on solutions?

I am good at soldering and heat shrinking

Thanks

John
John,

I assume that your question is how to wire up the seat heaters?

What you can do is to identify the pins that lead to the heater elements - I imagine they will be the same as the stock honda heated seats, so the shop manual will tell you - and then buy a heated grip pulsed DC controller from "Warm and Safe" (They have a website).

The controller will come with wiring info, but basically you will just connect its input via a suitable relay (fused) to ground and to battery 12v pos. and then connect the heater elements in parallel, not series, to the output of the controller and lo and behold, you will have heated seats.

In the original Honda installation, there are four heating elements, two in the front seat, one in the backseat and one in the separate back seat rest. If your Corbin is the same, you would connect al four elements in parallel.

The original Honda seat also has connections i the connector to built in thermistors, from memory, I think there are four. I imagine that your Corbin will have the identical setup if it is meant to replace a stock Honda heated seat.

If you hook up the seat with a Warm and Safe Controller as i describe, you will not need to use the thermistor connections.

Hope that helps - its should be very straightforward for you to do.

I had so much trouble with the complicated control system that Honda put on the 2006 + Wings that in the end I gave up on it. If it worked at all it would work for about twenty minutes then shut down until I stopped and restarted the bike, I spent many hours and replaced several components trying to fix it with no luck.

Eventually I disconnected the seats and grips, connected the grips to one Warm and Safe controller and the grips to a second one and al has worked perfectly ever since!

Good luck ........... Brian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts