GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I have a Corbin with over 30000 miles and love it dont want anything else, it is easy to make 1000 mile days. the back rest is the best support that I know of most dont like it because it is a hard seat but that is what I like

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
I've tried a couple Corbins on the 18's. I actually like a hard seat. The problem I had with the Corbins is they set me down in a bucket. No height gain and the sides of the seat cut the tar out of my thighs almost all the time.

I also disliked the backrest. That hard thing cut the heck out of my shoulder blades. I felt like I need to be 80 lbs instead of 200lbs so my back would fit in the backrest. It was too curved for me. I still think they are the best looking seat for the 1800.

Enjoyed the Corbins on my 1500 Wings and my Valk Interstate.

I have a Hartco with about 100,000 miles on it. I had it built to my specs and "almost" Corbin hard!

Buying your first custom seat is tough. You almost have to buy and use a custom seat to know what you want in a custom seat. Did that make sense? :roll:

What makes your behind happy might vary! LOL...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have over 50,000 on my Corbin.......It takes a few thousand miles to break it in .......I also like a hard seat...and can ride all day ....... I had one on my 1100 also........My sometimes passenger HATES the Corbin so if she's going to ride with me I put on the OEM seat.....which I'm going to have redone by [email protected] bikesolutions because I dislike it.....joy

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've got close to 30K on my Corbin. My wife has disliked it from day one. I liked it for awhile but now use an AquaAire Cushion for longer rides. It's just way too hard for me to be comfortable for longer distances.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've owned three Corbin seats. One I purchased for my ST1100 and two others came with used bikes I bought.

The thing about Corbin is that it's not truly a "custom" seat. Yes you can pick colors and options and stuff, but they don't build it to your specifications. If you fit the profile Corbin uses to make their seats, you will love it. If you don't fit that profile, you will hate it. I'm more narrow of waist than most. I won't buy another Corbin.

OTOH, Hartco, Diamond, Russell and some others are made to your height and weight. Also, as far as I know, only Russell offers a money back guarantee.

I currently have a Hartco Pro Tour with the memory foam, velour and a driver backrest. I can go 800 miles without any discomfort.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Corbin heated seat for my 06 that plugs up to the OEM connections. I couldnt hardly go 400 mi with out dancing around in the OEM seat. With the Corbin seat I can ride all day and be uncomfortable. I've had the Corbin for about 5k mi now and have loved it from the start.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Red,

What are they getting for a new custom Hartco seat now?

What should a good used one set you back?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have recently bought a Corbin after wanting one for several years.

The problem I had was they sit you in a bowl and drop you down and for me that did not work. The seat I bought was from Schroeders in NC and it moves me back four inches and it is straight from front to back so it does not drop me down in it.

I have over 8K on it now and realy like it. The only draw back of this seat is it can't have a back rest installed as it gets you back farther by using the space that would be taken for a back rest. I am going to solve this problem with the purchase of a Nelson Rigg bag. When riding two up I have no problem.

It should be known that Terry said Corbin will only make this seat for him in this style. It is the same seat that he uses in his add in Wing World.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I currently have 3 Corbin seats and love all of them. As said, they are hard so you can shift around easier than the OEM seat and avoid butt pinch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have had Corbin, Mustang and Diamond seats. I love corbin seats. But (no pun intiended) they are not for everyone. They do lower you a bit 1/2 to 2 inches approx. They are hard and it takes a while to break them in. Mustang does not make a seat for the wing and I'd put it in the same class as corbin. The diamond seat I have (Same folks as hartco) is very comfortable. I got a valor seat and they are a pain in rain. I got the cover for it and it keeps the seat dry so it's a pain I can live with. I think the Diamond seats fit BIG guys nicely, and I'd buy another. I would like to try a Russel all day ... maybe next time.

FF

·
Registered
145 Posts
I received my new Corbin for my 06 about 3 weeks ago. I really like it. The seat lowered me about an inch and the front seems narrower so at stops it's easier to get both feet planted. I'm 5'8" and about 175lbs. After a 500 mile day no more sore butt and lower back. The backrest seems to fit me just right. The heaters work allot better than the stock seat. At first my wife hated it. I should stop and say that she also hated the Goldwing when I brought it home in April. The only bike she knew was Harley and the Goldwing didn't add up. Well after 20k miles she loves the Wing and after 2k she "likes" the Corbin. There is less room back there for her with the addition of the backrest. I'm confident she will grow to like the Corbin as much as she does the Wing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife bought me a corbin for my st1300. I hated it. But since it was a gift, well you know. After I had it a while I really got to like it. The hard seat theory in my opinion has a lot of merit. The heater that I initially thought was a joke, I used all the time. When people tell me they hate their corbin the first thing out of my mouth is "How long have you had it?" I don't think the GW stock seat is that bad. If any of you all want to buy me a corbin for Christmas, I promise I'll put it on. :)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I had taken a ride over to Daytona to buy a Corbin seat but first I wanted to try it. They had a demo so I could ride it for some distance. I rode to St. Augustine for lunch and couldn't wait to get that miserable thing off my bike. I didn't buy one then.

In 1994, I purchased a Corbin seat and I have to say, I don't know what they did different but that was one of the most comfortable seats I have ever ridden on. It is still on the bike(trike) and the new owner still has it on the bike with 94K on the bike. It was a good one.

Then in 2003 I purchased a used Corbin seat off the other wing board and it had the heater's in it. Again it was too hard for me to ride. I sold it. I have since not purchased another Corbin. Just TOO HARD FOR ME!

They look great but unless you like the hardness, this seat isn't for you. Each butt is different and we aren't getting any younger. May be that is the difference.

I have had 2 Diamond seats and love them. 500-800 miles a day and not a sore butt at all. Currently have an 06' and added a full set of sheepskins to the seat and so far it is working for me.

Each to their own.....ride safe!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can't stand the soft stock seats,Ive had two Corbin's on my wing and I can ride all day no sore a$$.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife and I both love the Corbin seat. We've ridden 500 miles in a day with no discomfort. I have about 24,000 on it and love the ride. I've used the back rest a couple of times and prefer the ride without it. I have a broad back and the slight built in curve just never fits right.

Mine is a stock leather cover but was customized, because Corbin made it while I waited in Hollister and they fit it to me.

I'm 5'8" and had not problem with the seat height that others have mentioned.

I don't know where you are located but if you have the luxury of going to a Corbin factory for fitting, it is definately the way to go.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Aren't you glad you asked, beallb ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you make a descision now? :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts