GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new helmet on the way, and looking for corded intercom options
On my last 3 helmets, I had an inexpensive and effective set up from Chatterbox that worked well (less than $100)
I don't see that option listed anymore

I don't think I want to go bluetooth or other non-corded option, as my wife has a J&M set up in her helmet she likes
however that set up was over 2x the Chatterbox

I am open to suggestions and Ideas...the helmet I have coming is a Shoei GT-Air full face

thanks
bryon

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
For a good setup, you're going to have to spend a few bucks unfortunately. J&M and the J&M branded Hondaline sets, as well as EDsets are about the same price wise. Show Chrome has a set for around $100 which includes the lower cord. If you look at the Hondaline sets, they include the lower cord as well. With the others, you have to spend extra to get that lower cord. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you are going in the bluetooth direction, don't cheap out.....spend the money for a decent bluetooth unit and you'll be happy in the long run. Since Cardo is coming out with some new units, you may be able to score a deal on a Packtalk Bold. Waterproof, voice commands, built in FM radio and good sound. You can always update to the JBL speakers later.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check Sierra Electronics for IMC headsets, when I got mine they where $85. Microphone boom and speakers are held in place separately with Velcro. I am very pleased with mine and there is only one cord instead of J&M’s two piece.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I've had the J&M and they had less than desirable sound for my liking. I went with the EdSets and opted for the "Thunderclap Speakers". Maaaaan what a difference. Pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Check Sierra Electronics for IMC headsets, when I got mine they where $85. Microphone boom and speakers are held in place separately with Velcro. I am very pleased with mine and there is only one cord instead of J&M’s two piece.
Many years ago my first headset was Chatterbox, I was satisfied until one of the cords went bad and it turned into a great big fiasco getting a replacement cord.
Later switched to the lowest cost J&M, they worked great for me and when a cord did go bad it was very quick and easy to get a replacement cord.
About 4 years ago I bought a brandnew helmet from Sierra Electronics and they recommended I try the $85 IMC headset, it’s been flawless and it’s the best sounding headset I’ve ever had, of course I’m not a sound freak like many folks here seem to be but I’m very happy with my IMC headset and highly recommend doing business with Sierra Electronics.

Since other folks have mentioned Bluetooth headsets I will say I do also own a Bluetooth headset that I use on my Yamaha Tenere, it works fine but I highly prefer the old fashioned corded headsets with no batteries to charge.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I use J&M. I'd also consider EdSets. Yes, they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. In my not-so-humble opinion, IMC is crap. That's why it's cheap. It might sound good to the owner but I ride with someone who uses them and all I hear is tinny sound, background noise and wind noise. We're always asking him to repeat his CB transmission. Most of the time with J&Ms it's like I'm sitting right next to the person talking.

Last year I got a couple of those EdSets 1/8" adapters so I can use earbuds instead of the helmet speaker and I really like those. They block out a lot of noise from my helmet and I get great sound with music. Still have trouble hearing transmissions from the IMC users.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips

Will have to do a bit more homework...
Looking tonight, the J&M 801 series and Edsets are pretty close in price

The thing that might tip to J&M is the fact that my wife has the J&M in her helmet, and it has been a good set up.
Thanks again
bryon

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have used J&M for many years. Both helmets have the same setup. As you mentioned your wife has them. I carry an extra cord for helmet to connector and one for connector to bike when we travel. Only once on a trip did I need one, and was glad to have the spare. J&M replaced the bad cord right away.
Having the same units in both helmets makes having a spare cord more practical.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
332 Posts
My wife and I have the 30k’s and a freewire just for myself but my wife want to hear the cb and XM though her helmet as well. So I guess I will have to get a freewire for her? Do any of you guys have this set up and how does it work for the both of you? Will it do everything that a corded system does?
Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Edsets sells some great Headsets. The 3G is their best headset but they also sell a 2G headset that is cheaper. Both come with Warranties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts