GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I determined the hard way that my fuel sending unit is not correctly working. At 1/4 tank mark my tank is empty. I am assuming I need to replace the fuel sending unit but getting mixed information about the correct part to buy. Can anyone confirm the right unit for this model? Thanks so much!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,379 Posts
I determined the hard way that my fuel sending unit is not correctly working. At 1/4 tank mark my tank is empty. I am assuming I need to replace the fuel sending unit but getting mixed information about the correct part to buy. Can anyone confirm the right unit for this model? Thanks so much!!
There’s 2 sending units, one is on the upper part of the tank and deals mainly with the upper end of the gauge. The lower unit is attached to the pump assembly and is probably the culprit with your symptoms. They work together to cover the gauge’s range. Honda doesn’t sell the lower unit separate from the assembly. If you have the Honda service manual, you should perform the troubleshooting tests for it before spending big $$$.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s 2 sending units, one is on the upper part of the tank and deals mainly with the upper end of the gauge. The lower unit is attached to the pump assembly and is probably the culprit with your symptoms. They work together to cover the gauge’s range. Honda doesn’t sell the lower unit separate from the assembly. If you have the Honda service manual, you should perform the troubleshooting tests for it before spending big $$$.
Thanks so much for this information. Therein lies the mixed information- 2 sending units! Yes, when I fill up the gauge moves to the full mark but as the tank empties, it stops on the 1/4 tank mark.

Can you clarify what troubleshooting steps I should go through to check this?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Both my previous '03 and my current '10 would seem to stick between the last two marks when we were burning through a tank. Enough so that more than once I thought it had stuck. But everytime it has moved on down and more quickly after it has gotten past that point on the gauge.

Just thinking out loud wondering if this could be the transition point between the two sensors.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Thanks so much for this information. Therein lies the mixed information- 2 sending units! Yes, when I fill up the gauge moves to the full mark but as the tank empties, it stops on the 1/4 tank mark.

Thanks so much!
How many gallons does it hold when the gauge is at the 1/4 mark?

Maybe you're not as close to empty as you think.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,379 Posts

Thanks so much!
Go to the “Fuel Gauge/Low Level Indicator” subsection in the “Lights/Meters/Switches” section and perform the gauge tests first to eliminate the gauge or wiring. If the gauge passes, then move to the next section, “Fuel Level Sensor Inspection” and perform those tests. You will need an ohmmeter to measure the sending units/sensor’s resistances. If the resistances check good, then the lower sending unit’s arm is bent down too much. If you get to the part where you pull the pump assembly out of the tank, be very careful, the plastic frame and parts that it’s made of are brittle and easily broken.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Does that mean you actually ran it out of gas while the gauge was still showing 1/4 tank ?

You might be able to learn a little about the fuel gauge here
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/fuelsendermod.htm

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
If the pump assembly comes out, and the rheostat passes the OHM test, test it again with the pump sideways in your hand. Basically, it needs to pass an OHM test no matter what angle the fuel tank, or sending unit is sitting at.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,379 Posts
Does that mean you actually ran it out of gas while the gauge was still showing 1/4 tank ?

You might be able to learn a little about the fuel gauge here
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/fuelsendermod.htm
The best thing about that eureka boy thread, is the fact that the arm can stop it’s upward movement and the wiper not be where it should be due to an improperly formed float arm. Of course, that gauge issue was no full indication with a full tank.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
May or may not apply...
Has anyone syphoned gas from the tank? I have came across a couple GL1800's that one of the sending unit floats was bent from a hose being shoved down into the tank.
It doesn't take much to mess up the sending units.

Corventure Dave

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
May or may not apply...
Has anyone syphoned gas from the tank? I have came across a couple GL1800's that one of the sending unit floats was bent from a hose being shoved down into the tank.
It doesn't take much to mess up the sending units.

Corventure Dave
YA WHAT HE SAYS !! :serious: I WOULD REMOVE PUMP AND CHECK THE GAUGE WIRE AND SEE IF BENT SOMEONE MAYBE TRIED TO FISH SOMETHING OUT OR GET ALL THE "BAD" GAS OUT AT SOMETIME

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, the tank is empty at the 1/4 mark on the tank and the low fuel light never comes on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts