GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all the brake pads on my 06 Goldwing today. It went much easier than I thought, but I do have one nagging concern, what is the correct lubricant to use on the pins? I used a spray on silicone lubricant since thats what I had on hand. Should I use a silicone lubricant that is heavier, from a tube? Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but I want to do this job right. Thanks for any advice.

B

·
0 Posts
My preference is a heavier graphite based lubricant, or any that will likely not wash off in the rain/road wash or garden hose washings. Silicone is fine too but a heavier grease silicone would be better than a spray liquid. IMO

·
Registered
748 Posts
The manual says to use silicone grease. I have used FORD caliper grease on my bikes for years; it does not seem to dry and harden nearly as fast as the silicon does.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Silicone spray is very temporary lubricant, for longevity use grease.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
The pins are covered by rubber boots to keep out dirt and moisture, and the rubber boot may be damaged by a regular grease, which might cause the rubber to break down. This is why silicone grease is reccomended, as it won't hurt the rubber.

If you look around in auto parts stores, you can sometimes find a special silicone based caliper grease for just this purpose.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i bought some disc brake caliper lube at autozone. it's black and nasty, has an applicator brush, contains moly, grafite, and teflon. it's thick and slick and works on all kinds of things, one can will last a life time. it's not energy conserving so if you spill some on your clutch it won't void the warrantee. bill

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
i bought some disc brake caliper lube at autozone. it's black and nasty, has an applicator brush, contains moly, grafite, and teflon. it's thick and slick and works on all kinds of things, one can will last a life time. it's not energy conserving so if you spill some on your clutch it won't void the warrantee. bill
That's the same stuff I use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts