GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says that 3.9 quarts fills the engine with filter change. I would expect that to show on the stick to the line in the center but it barely shows on the stick. Pouring all 4 quarts in brings it up to almost the line. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey neighbor. Pour in a gallon/4qts and the level is perfect like you say. Anyway, it makes it easy to buy oil by the gallon instead of all those small bottles. Also recycle the old oil in the drain pan is easy as you pour the old oil into the gallon bottle.

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
3.9 quarts fills mine, 4 quarts would b pretty far past the full mark but thats what lots of folks say they pour in, a Honda mechanic told me he has seen lots wings way to full of oil

there are only 2 lines on the dipstick, the second line is the full mark

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
joel3078 said:
Hey neighbor. Pour in a gallon/4qts and the level is perfect like you say. Anyway, it makes it easy to buy oil by the gallon instead of all those small bottles. Also recycle the old oil in the drain pan is easy as you pour the old oil into the gallon bottle.
Almost everyone just uses a gallon= to 4 qts., as for overfilling the Honda recommended 3.9 qts. capacity, 4qts. would only equal another 3.2 ounces. At 1 gallon mine is just right on the stick. It's either that or get out a measuring cup?? T.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
taxi said:
Your suppose to check the level by screwing the stick all the way in and then take it out.
That's funny...my manual specifically states NOT to screw the dipstick in when checking oil level. :shock:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My manual says not to screw the dip stick in when checking... but its an 05 manual.. maybe some other years are different.. ?

cosmic

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The manual does say NOT to screw the dipstick in to check the oil level. Mine's an '05. The owner's manual for my '01 said the same thing. 3.9 qts. just barely shows on the lower level mark on the dipstick BTW. 4 qts. brings it to the top.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Cosmic chariot and Fireball 18: I agree you guys are right, the GW 1800 engine has been the same 1832cc's from '01 thru'07. T.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
To consistently get the corect reading on the dip stick, the engine should be run until at operating temp, placed on center stand, then the engine shut off and allowed to rest for several minutes to allow oil to drain from the galley ways. If you do all of that, except put the bike on the side stand and shut the engine down and then put it on the center stand, the reading will be lower because the left side of the sump is lower than the right. It seems as if I recall the difference between oil level at the lower line on dipstick and the oil level at the top line to be a matter of about one half pint.

prs

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Haven't changed the oil on my 05 Wing yet because I have only had it six weeks and put 2000 miles on it. Oil was changed when I bought it.

However, on my VTX 1300, I used the Mobil 1-110 filter which I believe is a little longer than stock. Therefore I used the entire four qts. (specs showed 3.9 capacity).

Is it possible you are using the smaller filter on your Wing? :?

Todd

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
DT said:
taxi said:
Your suppose to check the level by screwing the stick all the way in and then take it out.
That's funny...my manual specifically states NOT to screw the dipstick in when checking oil level. :shock:
Mine says that too. I have been pouring in the full 4 quarts for 4.5 years now with no ill effects.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Let's go Mountaineers.........

My VTX 1300C also soaks-up the whole gallon and I use the same Honda filter as spec'd for the GL1800.

prs

wvnnva said:
Haven't changed the oil on my 05 Wing yet because I have only had it six weeks and put 2000 miles on it. Oil was changed when I bought it.

However, on my VTX 1300, I used the Mobil 1-110 filter which I believe is a little longer than stock. Therefore I used the entire four qts. (specs showed 3.9 capacity).

Is it possible you are using the smaller filter on your Wing? :?

Todd

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
OK to chime in ....on my 05 manual says NOT to screw in the dipstick.

I have had the same problem....that is I add just under 4qts and it does not register at all on the stick

(and yes I let the engine warm up, put it on the center stand and wait as per the manual)

When I add all four it barely registers.

What I have found is that when placing the dipstick and it is NOT screwed in it can be at an angle...angled enough not to read properly...kind of a silly design.

Anyway.....as others suggested...I add 4 qts and don't worry about it until the next change.

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
NJREF said:
OK to chime in ....on my 05 manual says NOT to screw in the dipstick.

I have had the same problem....that is I add just under 4qts and it does not register at all on the stick

(and yes I let the engine warm up, put it on the center stand and wait as per the manual)

When I add all four it barely registers.

What I have found is that when placing the dipstick and it is NOT screwed in it can be at an angle...angled enough not to read properly...kind of a silly design.

Anyway.....as others suggested...I add 4 qts and don't worry about it until the next change.
Ditto-Add 4 Qt and be done with ot until next oil change

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK OK my fault I had a Brain Freeze,

Checked my book again (03 ABS) and it does say don't screw it in.

I turned 50 last week. I hope this is not a example of whats to come.

It does show full that way though after you change the oil (WONDER IF I TIGHTENED THAT PLUG?).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How Often Do You Check Your Oil Between Changes?

Hope this is not hijacking the thread. :oops: I notice that a couple of you mentioned that you "don't worry about it until the next change." Does that mean that you do not check your oil (on the dipstick) between changes?"

I have been wondering how often GW'rs check their oil. With myVTX, I checked it about once a week depending upon the mileage ridden. If having ridden at higher speed (such as freeway) for extended miles, or if signs of any leakage, I would check it more frequently.

Todd

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Re: How Often Do You Check Your Oil Between Changes?

wvnnva said:
Hope this is not hijacking the thread. :oops: I notice that a couple of you mentioned that you "don't worry about it until the next change." Does that mean that you do not check your oil (on the dipstick) between changes?"
Guilty as charged... My wing doesn't leak oil nor burn oil, so I trust that most of it will still be there when the time comes to change it.

I do check the level just before I drain it, just for my peace of mind, and if all is well (again), I'll drain it, refill with 4 quarts and check the level, then won't bother checking it again until the next time an oil change is due. Works for me... YMMV! :wink:

·
Vendor
2,333 Posts
The "No Screw In the Dipstick" Method has been the same for ALL Honda motorcycles for at least 25 years. (Maybe more, I ain't been foolin with em longer'n that!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts