GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour. I want to install a USB cord in my trunk or saddle bag so I have place to connect my memory stick with music because I have an iphone connected to the USB cord in the tank compartment to use CarPlay. The Honda cord appears to have the correct end that plugs into the radio, but the USB end does not look right. The USB cord from Wingstuff appears to have the correct USB end, but the end that connects to the radio looks different. The top photo is the Wingstuff cord and the bottom photo is the Honda cord. Any thoughts on why the ends of the cord are different?

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Honda one plugs into the USB 2 connector under the seat under the trunk and has that kind of connector FYI, they actually says it goes in the left saddlebag, but I'm sure it can probably go in the trunk somewhere too.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
471 Posts
......The top photo is the Wingstuff cord and the bottom photo is the Honda cord. Any thoughts on why the ends of the cord are different?.....
The top photo is the Honda USB cord.
The bottom photo is of the Honda 3.5mm Audio Cord, meant for plugging in your ipod, and can be selected as "Aux" with the Source button.

The USB cord can go into the left saddlebag with a bit of work, or you can install it into the trunk with very little work.
Jefro.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is a photo of the USB in the front left area of the trunk, after drilling a hole in the location where the USB for the Airbag model goes.
The drilled hole will be just above and to the side of the radio unit under the trunk.
To do this, you only need to remove the seat, then plug in the USB.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
The USB cord can be installed in the side bag, in about the length of time or takes to all these comments.

Open the bag, remove the rubber plug in the top rear of the bag. Fish the cable through the hole from the inside of the bag, pull the seat to grab the other end of the cable, and plug it in, after removing the connector cover from the radio. (Squeeze and pull). A little lube makes the grommet on the cord snap in the hole, easier.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Bottom pic looks like the cord that plugs in under the LH pocket on an 1832 so that an audio device can be used.
It can be used like to connect any portable device with an audio output (gps/phone/ipod/mps/cassette player). It's one-way, so won't let a phone be used as a phone.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Honda kit is for adding it to saddlebag (same kit works for non-tour, tour and airbag models)

Wing wing posted pics/instructions for installing it in the trunk, if you prefer (but it requires drilling a hole in bottom of the trunk)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Honda kit is for adding it to saddlebag (same kit works for non-tour, tour and airbag models)

Wing wing posted pics/instructions for installing it in the trunk, if you prefer (but it requires drilling a hole in bottom of the trunk)
There is a recessed area in the trunk to drill out for trunk installation. The airbag models come with it in the trunk, so non airbag models can installment no the same location.

Thanks to Jefro for the above info and installation instructions to install in the trunk

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is my understanding that the optional USB cable in the left saddle bag is for charging only, it does not connect to the entertainment system so you cannot play music on a USB flash drive connected to that cable. Check this out before going to all the trouble to install.
If you are using Apple car play, why not listen to music down loaded on your phone, or from a streaming app like Pandora.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bottom pic is the cable that goes into the front cubbie on the right side and attaches to the wiring harness under that, same as the usb cable that goes in the left side of the cubbie.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is my understanding that the optional USB cable in the left saddle bag is for charging only, it does not connect to the entertainment system so you cannot play music on a USB flash drive connected to that cable. Check this out before going to all the trouble to install.
If you are using Apple car play, why not listen to music down loaded on your phone, or from a streaming app like Pandora.

It will play USB or control iPod, no problem however it cannot be used to connect to CarPlay. It does act as a charging port also.

It is meant to be installed in the left saddlebag, however I put mine in the trunk (more convenient for me) there is a little excess cord under the seat but causes no issues. even mounted the little cap to store the cord.

Reactions: RickLB
1 - 14 of 14 Posts