GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the bike on a level surface on its side stand, my wife sets her left foot on her left floorboard, grabs the handlebars, and swings her right leg over her seat, settling onto the seat. She is a petite woman and is a lightweight by anyone's standards. Dismounting is the reverse.

Our friends this weekend said this is a dangerous way for her to mount and should be done with me on the bike first, both feet on the ground holding the bike upright. Only then should my wife mount.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
do which ever is easiest for you and her. If I was you, I would hold the handlebars just in case the bike decided to roll off the sidestand. Centerstand is better and more stable.

JMHO

G

·
The way I was taught, the driver gets on first, holds the bike then when given the ok, the passenger mounts.
But the Wing is so big and stable I really don't think it much matters on level hard ground.
I was also taught that the bike should be started prior to the passenger's getting on, but it was before electric starters, and was more so the action of kick starting the motor wasn't disrupted by the 2nd's weight.
Again, on the Wing I don't think it matters.

Pat

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I always get on first, stand up holding the bike upright, only then is it ok for SO to mount. She always dis mounts first, again while I stand and hold bike up right. :D

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Do whatever it takes to get her on. I usually get one first, but thats what she wants. Says it feels better if I am there to steady the bike, but thats what she wants. I just have the last word - Yes, dear.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
both ways are ok,
but if you get on first, upright the bike, hold the front brake, while standing, she can put one hand on your shoulder for balance when she gets on.

I do wonder when I see two "large" people on a bike, how they get on, as there isn't a lot of room for the passenger, and some are not very tall.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I asked this same question when I was new to the board. I've experimented and given it a lot of thought and this is what I have to offer:

1. My kickstand is up and the bike is ready to go, all except the passenger. Front brake activated with both my feet on the ground. I lean forward just a hair.

2. I lean the bike ever so slightly to the right, and passenger steps onto the floorboard (left side) and straddles the passenger seat resting her right foot on the floorboard. I lean the bike to offset her weight. If you do this you feel almost nothing when the passenger mounts. As the passenger reaches the center of balance, center the bike straight up and down. I weigh 270-80 and my passenger weighs about 115. She could get on anyway she wants and I'd be fine but I practice this as I think it's good mojo.

3. Ask if they're all set, then off you go.

Scott

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Our friends this weekend said this is a dangerous way for her to mount and should be done with me on the bike first, both feet on the ground holding the bike upright. Only then should my wife mount.

That's the way we do it. I get on first and she gets off first. I suggest she get off facing forward by standing on the passenger board. that way she can see and plan(quickly) her landing point. that can can be important for obvious reasons.....rocks, curbs, oil, water, it's always better of course to see where you're putting your feet on dismount IMO. It might seem a little awkard at first, but give it a try.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
OK, I am with Big Law and Big Kid with one addition. When my wife is ready to mount up she puts her hand on my upper arm and doesn't put her foot on her floorboard until I shake my arm. The same when she dismounts. She sits in the seat until I shake my left arm.
Although your wife only weighs 115 when you are kidding with your friends while getting ready to to she can pull you over by trying to get on when you aren't quite ready.
Other couples have verbal systems but this one works for us. The first time you see one of the other couples dump the bike prior to taking off you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well I do it just about the same as Kid & Law except.. My wife has a 35" inseam. She can stand flat footed on the ground and place her right foot on the right passenger floor board. So that's what she does after I'm on, bike's started and front brake on. She sits, puts the other foot on and squeezes me with her knee's to signal ready to go.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
uncletheoden said:
With the bike on a level surface on its side stand, my wife sets her left foot on her left floorboard, grabs the handlebars, and swings her right leg over her seat, settling onto the seat. She is a petite woman and is a lightweight by anyone's standards. Dismounting is the reverse.

Thoughts on this? Thanks!

My wife has used this method for 3 years on our 1800.

With me on the bike holding it up and she swings her leg over , she would usually kick me or the bike..

If she had on insulated pants for cooler weather it was near impossible for her to mount the bike bike while I sat in the seat.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Nestor said:
I always tell her to put both hands on my chest, then gently lower, oh wait, wrong board .....
Don't stop now that was getting good 8) Better than listening to everyone describe how their wife gets on. :?

·
Registered
32 Posts
IR Harry said:
I just have the last word - Yes, dear.
Heh, heh... That quote reminded me of something my father always used to say, "I am truly the King in my house: I always have the last 2 words, "Yes, dear." :D

To keep this motorcycle related: I've always been told that the rider gets on to steady the bike first, then the passenger.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree with the rider on first, sidestand up, both feet flat on the ground, front brake applied passenger gets the ok and gets on or off.

This helps because I also go to the door of where we are leaving or arriving at to drop off the passenger then I go park, get gas, etc...

Did this at each stop on our 9-day trip looping through Las Vegas and several times my passenger's husband would tell her not to get used to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts