GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent post about dropping a wing has me wondering. Just what is the correct way to right a wing ?

I have mainly been on three wheels since the late 70s but you never know. Maybe I will have to use this knowledge to help a fellow rider who has his/her bike on its side.

So lets hear what method you use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Best method I've seen for righting heavy bikes is to turn your back to the bike and squat down. Grab the downside grip and passenger grab handle and stand up. If the bike is on it's right side, putting the sidestand down will prevent the embarasment of tossing it over onto the other side. (Don't ask how I know that)

Well, come to think of it, the best way is actuallly calling over to the Miami Dolphins cheerleaders and asking them to right the bike, but that opportunity rarely ever happens, so I've been forced to go with the second best method.
--
spunkythetuna

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If the wing is on its right side you put the sidestand in the down position. Regardless of which side it is on you turn the low side handlebar in toward the shelter. Then you back up to the seat, grab the handlebar with one hand and the seat grab-handle with the other hand and slowly lift. It is easier than you think. I have had to do this 4 times over the last 2 years. The last time was at a gas station when my wet boot slipped off the center-stand and the big machine keeled over onto its right side. :oops: Speaking of which, does anyone have a suggestion on how to add a little traction to the center-stand lever? I was thinking about trying something like the stuff that you would find on a skateboard. I am really surprised that it doesn't come from the factory with a texture similar to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
the method for lifting described above works well.

For traction on the centerstand I cut a small piece of self adhesive non skid material that I bought at Home Depot.It's made for outdoor steps.
It's been on there for 20,000 miles and still holding

·
Registered
271 Posts
The correct way is to get help! OK, I know you should be able to do it yourself, but only in an emergency. You're probably already shook-up. Take a minute and don't get hurt...get help.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry, Shooter. I can get it righted by myself better, faster and safer than 3 people that don't know how to do it. I'd rather do it right than have one of the non-Wingers hurt their back or something while trying to play Good Samaritan.
I agree that we should only do it in an emergency, but, to me....when it has STARTED to fall, it has then become an emergency. It's my job to "make it right", then apologize to my beautiful friend for dropping her. (Do I talk to my Wing??? You betcha! And I always thank her for being the greatest machine I've ever known.)
Just my opionion, of course...but we do all have one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Papa Gene,

You must be a lot bigger and stronger than me...I have a heck of a time just getting the Wing on it's center stand by myself.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well Shooter, it might be because of all the extra safety chrome and gadgets you put on your bike :p Joy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Centerstand

That's odd. I'm 5'10", 170 lbs and I don't have any trouble putting my Wing on the centerstand. Perhaps a procedural review is in order.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey Shooter,
I'm sure I'm bigger (way too big for my height...and I'm only 5'-9"), but doubt I'm stronger. I'm in the over-50 crowd now and have tennis elbow, to boot! (And I don't play tennis!!) But while wearing my brace, I can still pick it up or put it on the stand with ease. Doesn't take much muscle. Honda has many times given a demo of a young lady (under 100 pounds) picking up a Wing at Marysville. I think I might have more muscle than her (maybe), and I'm SURE you probably do. It doesn't have anything to do with muscle for either task. It's HOW you do it! I learned from a Gold Book I got from GWRRA back in 1989. As for the center stand, I followed the directions I read somewhere. (I don't know where and have CRS.) Push down on center stand. Holding on with the left handle grip and the left passenger handle, slowly lean Wing to right till both "legs" of the stand are on the ground. Push HARD on the stand with your foot while pulling backwards with both of your hands. It rocks right into place with very little energy required. The key is the foot, not the strength! I use this method many times at the gas station. I get a few more drops into the tank if it's sitting level. (At least I think I do.)
Next time I'm on my way to my brother's house in Cayuga, IN, I'll look you up and we can grab a burger or something. I'll try not to drop my Wing while I'm there.
:wink:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Papa Gene said:
... Holding on with the left handle grip and the left passenger handle, ...
I would like to add that you should also hold in the clutch in case the transmission is in gear... or first make sure it's in neutral.

Since I usually park mine in first gear I always hold the clutch.

Also, make sure you have good footing on the centerstand lever. If it, or the bottom of your boot/shoe is wet it can easily slip off during this maneuver. I almost dropped mine onto a curb when I went to put it onto the centerstand while washing it. Whew! ... that was close! I need to put some non-slip stuff on the lever like others on this board have.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I think part of my center stand problem is that I'm not leaning the wing enough to the right to be straight up and down...I'm afraid it'll fall over. I'll practice until I get it...With a spotter!!

I'm 5' 7" and 165 lbs. I've ridden my 2000 Valk 95,000 miles and not dropped it...OK there was that one time in West Virginia that I forgot to put down the kickstand...but as I told my wife that was an "ease down" not a drop.

I only have 500 miles on the 2004 wing and darn near dropped it at a gas station last week. Luckily kept it up, but not without looking darn ungraceful!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've picked up a Wing the wrong way when I dropped it a few years ago and sure felt it the next morning. I've got you by more than a foot in height and over 100 pounds so just yanking the thing up was do-able, but, as I said, based on my morning after soreness, not adviseable. :shock: After that I learned the proper way to do it and haven't had a problem since. 8)

A friend of my father worked in the local police garage for a number of years and used to tell a story I think is appropriate here. He said that any time a bike went down in the garage it took at least three officers to pick it up but when any of them dropped theirs on the street they could get it back up all by themselves. He attributed that to the adrenaline rush the officer would experience as a result of the embarrassment of dropping it. :D I know that's how I yanked mine back up by the handlebars. :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts