GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good News for all 2014 GL1800 owners. Finally, Honda corrected their transmission problem. Come see their latest transmission and ride their latest improvement at Wing Ding Madison, Wisconsin July 2-5.

Also, there will be Honda information on how to "correctly correct" the hot start surge on some 2006 and up GL1800s.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
What's the "hot start surge" ? don't think I ever had one of those !

·
Registered
498 Posts
What's the transmission problem? Are they going to issue a TSB & fix all of them?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Is Just Wings going to be a vendor or have a display up at Wing Ding?

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The part numbers for three of the gears on the main shaft in the transmission have changed in 2014. I don't know what the changes to them are, but my guess would be that Honda has finally decided to undercut the dogs on them. I wonder why it took them 13 years to do this.

GEAR (22T/29T) 23431-MCA-000 is replaced with 23431-MJG-A00

GEAR (32T) 23471-MCA-000 is replaced with 23471-MJG-A00

GEAR (35T) 23491-MCA-000 is replaced with 23491-MJG-A00

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That is kinda like hot flashes............:lol:

Guess the rumors of white scion mini vans are true, Honda has been spying on you. Now they undercut three gears to resolve the problem.

There goes business.............ya should have kept it a secret. There are spies everywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am thinking about buying a used GL1800 to replace by GL1500 with 148,000 miles on it. I see posts about transmission issues. How bad are these issues? What years are better?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Greg, that is good news about the tranny. Are you sure the "surge" is related to a "hot start" condition. From reading posts related to surge in the newer models, I got the impression the surge was related to a cold condition start and ride without warming-up. Maybe they took notice of Fred's and his buddy's efforts at mapping and your work at reshaping the engagement dogs. Be interesting to read the reports of what has been done.

prs

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Hot start issues can be caused after parking a hot bike, and the heat rises up from the engine and heat soaks the airbox and the intake air temp sensor in it. Then when the bike is started it gets a false high reading from the IAT sensor, which drives the mixture a bit too lean. It normally fixes itself after the sensor gets some airflow over it after a minute or two. I haven't noticed this problem much on the GL1800, but I guess it could be what they are talking about.

We have learned that Honda changed the ECM part number in 2013, and these new ECM's use a different internal communication protocol. I don't know of any changes to the internal mapping in them, but I'll look into it.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Greg, have you ordered any of these new gears to see if they are different? If they were going to undercut them, they are only cutting some of the gears, I would want all of them undercut. If these new gears are undercut, their mating gear has to be undercut as well. :shrug:
The three gears that had their part numbers change all interface with each other on the main shaft through their dogs and slots. The only gear on the main shaft that didn't change was the smallest one on the end.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
SEE....HONDA LISTENS :bow::bow::bow: LIKE MOLASSES ON A COLD WINTER NITE ;)

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Interesting stuff for sure , I wonder what is actually different on the new parts ?

Greg If you do have a booth at wingding I hope to meet you

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
So they didn't change 1st gear. Makes sense, I don't remember seeing too many first gears with messed up dogs. So has Honda opened itself up to having to replace all the older year's parts?
TD, I have always failed to see the logic in that. If a manufacturer learns of a better way to make a product, then there should be no liability to apply that change to product downstream. I wonder if Ford should recall all model T units for the "upgrades" we now have ;-)

prs

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Great in theory, and I totally agree, reality, won't happen ever. Look at BMW and final drive failures they have had.....All the GM ignition problems. It's just the way corporations work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Transmission

Can you post the Fix. Can't make it to Wing Ding

Good News for all 2014 GL1800 owners. Finally, Honda corrected their ghost shifting transmission problem. Come see their latest transmission and ride their latest improvement at Wing Ding Madison, Wisconsin July 2-5.

Also, there will be Honda information on how to "correctly correct" the hot start surge on some 2006 and up GL1800s.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also ... at Wing Ding will be a touch, feel, and hear display for common "engine" noises associated with GL1800s. For anyone who wants to, they'll be able to move the associated parts while hearing "the noise," and then be able to see what causes it. For example, the squishing noise heard, when the motor is off, and the clutch lever is pulled in, or the moan/grown heard at idle when the clutch lever is pulled in, or the slight ticking noise caused by the oil pump's chain.

ADG's (2001-05), with their clips still in place, will be on display. Anyone who is curious can remove the snap-ring, the collar, and clips for themselves. They can personally inspect its inner wear. The bearings, associated to the inner wear will be there to. Most importantly, and on display too, will be the reasons why an old style ADG should NOT be repaired with a new style ADG.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts