GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you northern riders who store your Wings for the winter noticed any corrosion on any part of your bike? I keep mine in a heated (55 F.) garage all winter and last spring when I got it out and checked it over there was a little corrosion around a couple bolts on the motor. Nothing serious, cleaned it up and still looks good today. Does anyone use a mat or plastic under the bike during storage to keep moisture from coming up through the concrete? I heard this helps but just wondering about it. Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mark,

I think for plastic to be effective, you would need to seal the entire garage floor. If you are like me, the greatest source of moisture is the snow and ice melting from the car that shares garage space.

How about spraying LPS 2 on the spots that rust? LPS products are available in aerosol cans at Fleet Farm.

Jim

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here in western Washington I am able to ride year around, except when white stuff is on the ground. I usually don't wash the bike from about Nov to March, and it's in the rain & slush a lot. Except for the wheel rims, I haven't noticed any corrosion. The plastic gets a wax job in Sept or October, but not again until spring. During that time, only the windshield gets frequent cleaning. I don't do anything extra to the engine or metal parts. When it is not being ridden, it is in a non-heated garage.

I

·
0 Posts
Corrosion on vehicles stored on concete floors is well known in the antique/classic car community. It isn't so much the moisture, as it is the corrosive makeup of concrete.

Concrete that is not sealed will leach out corrosive chemicals, (lime I think) and in the presense of moisture, will rust metals. The car buffs that store on concrete that is not sealed will park the vehicle on indoor/outdoor carpeting, or a sheet of visqueen.

If your car is parked in the same garage as the bike, melted snow and ice containing salt will create a salty damp atmosphere in the garage also.

We are all better off not heating our garages in the winter (maybe except to work out there for a while) because the higher temperature causes salt and other corrosive elements to corrode faster. ie heat accelerates chemical reactions.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
corrosion

Coming from the aviation community let me tell you the best product for corrosion prevention we've found is LPS3. It used to be endorsed by Boeing, it may still be. What do I know I'm retired.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My buddy keeps His Harley in a bubble like this it works excellent, a bubble for your baby

I

·
0 Posts
Re: corrosion

tom smith said:
Coming from the aviation community let me tell you the best product for corrosion prevention we've found is LPS3. It used to be endorsed by Boeing, it may still be. What do I know I'm retired.
LPS3 is a good product as are all LPS products. But there is one better in the anti corrosion field. And Tom, you may want to check this out.

It is ACF-50, made by Lear Chemical Research Corp. It is MlL spec C-81309D, II and III, BMS 3-23E.

Can't tell you where to get it, but the phone no. of Lear Chemical is 416-564-0018. Made in Canada.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont park my vehicles in the same garage as my bikes because there just isnt enough room. I think what IB Trike said about the concrete makes sense.

Going to try and get the floor sealed yet this fall before it gets cold and see if that makes a difference. Tried to get it done this summer but just had too many things going on let alone trying to get some smiles on the Wing. Anybody know whats good for sealing concrete?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only good sealer for the garage floor would be a 2 part epoxy paint, and you can sprinkle sand on it while drying to make it non slip.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
ACF-50

Magic in a can for aluminum. In the early 80's it received FAA approval for the General Aviation Fleet. An addendum to the Repair Station Certificate allowed application in the field. I've seen early 60's PA-28 airframes preserved for what appears to be and eternity. A Twin Comanche was treated in the midwest then saw the next 15 years in the salt enviroment of the Cocoa Beach area of Florida. Subsequent Annual Inspections revealed nada corrosion.

Bradford

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the info on ACF50. Hope others don't mind us aviators hitch hiking their thread. Didn't know that their were so many aviators out on there earth bound wings. Tom

·
Registered
707 Posts
24 Carat.... Not wanting to sound stupid at 04:00, but I thought a PA-28 was a Cherokee. Meby I need to take a nap...I don't get off work until 07:00. :shock:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I store mine in a garden shed out in the snow/solid ice all winter.
- good bath
- Put gas conditioner in and run it a few miles
- change the oil
- unit up on center stand
- small sizzor jack under the engine pulls the front off ground.
- pull battery ( store in cool not frozen location - - trickle charge as needed)
- tires air pressure down to around 25
- spray lower metal parts ( engine and muffler etc with tire wet silicon spray)
- count down the days till the sun shines again.
Its gonna be another long bad ass winter :x

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
corrosion

Pull the instrument panel then the steering head cover. The back two bolts on the handle bars are always badly rusted. Crude gets knocked down by the cover and settles around the back bolts. Ride safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts