GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an article that came out of our State Capitol in NY. Seems that the shenanigans of the world continue within our Sacred Motorcycle world as well.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Auditors found that a New York group hired by the state to conduct motorcycle safety training spent $46,000 for a tricked-out pickup truck, paid for unexplained trips to Arizona and Santo Domingo, and had some instructors without driver's licenses.
State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said Tuesday that the Motorcycle Association of New York State, based in New York City, is losing the contract it first secured in 1998 in the administration of Gov. George Pataki. The audit includes accusations against some of its top officials. Findings are being sent to the state attorney general's office for possible further action.
The state's contract is worth about $6.4 million over five years. The spending by the association came during a period in which DiNapoli said the association failed to meet basic requirements of the contract including the establishment of enough training sites statewide.
The association's contract expired in February.
The spending DiNapoli questioned included:
-A Ford Lariat pickup truck that was to be used for towing motorcycles. The truck had a upgrades including premium wheels, "jewel-effect headlamps" and lots of leather and chrome, but couldn't tow motorcycles. The truck didn't fit in the association's $300-a-month parking garage so parking meters were used daily.
-A $13,000 motorcycle apparently used for one official to get to work.
-A Chrysler 300 sedan one official took to Arizona when he semiretired, at a cost of $36,221 in leases and insurance. The state Department of Motor Vehicles subsequently disallowed reimbursement for the car.
-$13,000 for six hotel rooms for a 13-night stay during the State Fair near Syracuse, without a record of who accompanied association officials or the purpose of the trip.
-$1,800 to maintain a trailer in Arizona with no record of its purpose or for who used it.
-Thousands of dollars in air fare for association officials and their relatives, some of which was eventually reimbursed to the association.
-37 motorcycles worth $47,515 that were missing, although 24 were eventually located and the others may have been dismantled for parts, according to the DMV's response.
Some of the spending has since been reimbursed, according to the audit.
Other violations of provisions of the contracted were found in a spot check of 50 of 82 instructors: 26 had no high school or equivalency diploma, four didn't have current and valid motorcycle licenses, and two didn't meet the minimum of teaching two beginning rider courses a year.
The contract provided thousands of motorcyclists with training to get licenses and to eliminate "points" for violations on their licenses.
The DMV agreed with many of the findings and is rebidding the contract.
Officials for the association couldn't immediately be reached at phone numbers in New York and in Arizona.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Bulldog.......

Good thing you didn't take your stock market money and re-invest it with the Motorcycle Association of NY !!

:wrong:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Dog,
Not too surprising considering the corrupt State we live in.

Maybe they just need a bailout:rolleyes:
Dave

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Where do i sign up to become and instructor. i need a new bike to teach

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah it sounds bad but how dare you compare this to the corruption in New jersey. NJ is number one and I will fight you tooth and nail.

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like they got there training at AIG. Your right Subcode NJ. is still nimber one.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Ironic! Look and see if "Greed" doesn't appear elsewhere.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
It's NY State..., corruption is a way of life.

I can sit out on my back deck and look across the border and actually SEE it through the mist from the Horseshoe Falls. And it's not a pretty sight... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
as s former new yorker I have seen it first hand.

people pay taxes for the mafia controlled politians to squander.. been going on for years.

periodically they throw a few bread crumbs to the people to keep them happy (paying)

in NY everything is either a tax, law or regulation.

you pay a $3. tax and get back $.25

John

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am soooo upset with my so called parents.:evil: How dare they teach me since I was knee to a grasshopper integrity, honesty, responsibility, hard work, to try to leave this world just a little better than you left it and all that B/S. If only they taught me, to by any means get what you can from people and the system as long as you can get away with, and forget about a conscience.

How do you teach children to do the right thing when the see and experience just the opposite?

OK, I am going to my happy place now.:p

·
Registered
20,956 Posts
sounds like they have plenty of cash available

maybe Bulldog could get a contract and cleanup the mess :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I tell ya what... it appears that the school down here on Long Island is part of that crap too.

A few weeks ago, I was looking into places to take the Advanced MSF course here... and found Trama's Motorcycle & Auto School is who the Motorcycle Association of New York State (MANYS) had listed for the Bronx, Nassau, And Suffolk Counties.

A quick trip to their website (http://tramas.com/) shows that the schools founder passed away in '06... and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that's when his school began their current appearance of indifference too.

After navigating through the site... I got to the link for the available class schedule. Imagine my surprise at finding the "upcoming" schedule for 2007 listed!!

Needless to say, I don't think I'll bother scheduling anything with this group.

While I admit that I'm not sure how the system trickles money from the federal, state, and local levels to MANYS, the MSF, and any subordinate or affiliated schools... but based on first impressions, I hope they aren't giving these people too much funding.

:?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I tell ya what... it appears that the school down here on Long Island is part of that crap too.

A few weeks ago, I was looking into places to take the Advanced MSF course here... and found Trama's Motorcycle & Auto School is who the Motorcycle Association of New York State (MANYS) had listed for the Bronx, Nassau, And Suffolk Counties.

A quick trip to their website (http://tramas.com/) shows that the schools founder passed away in '06... and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that's when his school began their current appearance of indifference too.

After navigating through the site... I got to the link for the available class schedule. Imagine my surprise at finding the "upcoming" schedule for 2007 listed!!

Needless to say, I don't think I'll bother scheduling anything with this group.

While I admit that I'm not sure how the system trickles money from the federal, state, and local levels to MANYS, the MSF, and any subordinate or affiliated schools... but based on first impressions, I hope they aren't giving these people too much funding.

:?
Sad to see. Mr Trama was the one who taught me how to ride over 10 yrs ago in NYC. In fact I took the ERC with his school as well a couple of yrs after getting my M added. He was a very knowledgeable, kind and patient man. I was sorry to hear of his passing. Could not vouch for his school at this point but I would hope they would keep up with his reputation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts