GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info on where to find GL1800 (specifically) parts such as shark grills, body panels etc. I was looking for the fairing shark grills for a 2008 GL1800 but I would want them in yellow NOT chrome. My mechanic tried to remove them and found that the cement they are attached with is so strong that one of them broke and had to be replaced. So my options are to try to locate the shark grills in yellow or buy chrome ones and have them painted. I would prefer them in the color yellow.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
What's a shark grill? If it's the whole grill thing in front of the radiator, those are screwed in from the back, not glued on or pop out. Those little Kury chrome flashes are taped or glued on to the OEM painted panel.

There's a seller on eBay selling the ABS body work at low prices, unpainted. Not sure about quality.

I've bought other body pieces from Honda Direct Line or Partzilla.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just wondering if they are removed can the glue also be worked off without harming the paint? Not to hijack the thread, but thought this question was very closely related .

·
Registered
685 Posts
Flatsixbasic.................I have the Kury Shark Fins that attach to the body cross piece outboard of the radiator mesh grill. I have heard those are held on with some high temp. special glue. Will WD-40 remove that glue and hopefully not mess up the paint? I just want to remove them and not have any "decoration" there at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Flatsixbasic.................I have the Kury Shark Fins that attach to the body cross piece outboard of the radiator mesh grill. I have heard those are held on with some high temp. special glue. Will WD-40 remove that glue and hopefully not mess up the paint? I just want to remove them and not have any "decoration" there at all.
Ugh, I don't know about a special strength glue. If it is like automotive trim cement, you'd better get to like the shark fins or get advise from a body shop. Let's face it - shark gills are better than ruined paint!
Sorry, but I wouldn't want to lead you wrong on that. Usually, these cheap, faux chrome plastic stick-ons use an adhesive strip, which I was assuming you were talking about. They are good adhesive, but not damaging to the paint. I could see Kuryakyn claiming they would hold up to summer heat, but still be removable. I have removed the glue on that kind of stuff, with dental floss or fishing line and a gentle glue remover or wd40 - even a silicone spray (and lots of gentle rubbing with clean rags). Even then, you may need to shine up the area that was underneath with a gentle rubbing compound.
If it's something stronger, you may want to reconsider. Perhaps there's a loose spot on one of the gills, you could lightly pry, to see? If it starts to let loose, try fishing line and see if it starts to peel away, without damage.
Again, I will warn:
Trim adhesive is used for chrome trim strips on cars. Much stronger stuff. If you want to try to remove that, you could see damage. Body shops deal with that and may give you better advise.
Hope I helped.

·
Vendor
16,591 Posts
If some are yellow, to my knowledge they were custom painted that color. I believe all start out as chrome.

As for removing them. I would hope most mechanics would know to try and remove stuff like that. There area 2 reasons that I know not to. First is what already happened. The person removing those has no way of knowing what they are held on with. Another reason is that some are installed to cover up accident damage.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If some are yellow, to my knowledge they were custom painted that color. I believe all start out as chrome.

As for removing them. I would hope most mechanics would know to try and remove stuff like that. There area 2 reasons that I know not to. First is what already happened. The person removing those has no way of knowing what they are held on with. Another reason is that some are installed to cover up accident damage.
Right. I have removed a few "stick-ons", but you really have to watch for
" warning signs". The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" can make some sense in matters like this. BUT - Sometimes the will to remove can overpower the fear of the unknown...
It often comes down to 3 things:
1. You absolutely hate the stick-on, or it ruins the look of your vehicle.
2. It is dilapidated or starting to fall off.
3. You have something else you want to put in it's place.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yep, I'm not much for chrome/bling either and thankfully the Wing I bought has been somewhat de-accessorize since it became mine (floorboards, heel/toe shifter, backrest, passenger armrests, etc). Thankfully it didn't have a trunk rack because that would certainly have had to go. But, some things are best left alone. The side luggage "bumpers" or whatever they are called would need holes repaired or obvious plugs (rubber or chrome bolts/acorn nuts). Also the "shark gills" could be removed but I've noticed at least on the left one there is a barely visible crack in the covered over OEM Illusion Red grille. Best to leave it be and most people like the look anyways, so it's easier to live with it/them.
IMG_20200504_162912792_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yep, I'm not much for chrome/bling either and thankfully the Wing I bought has been somewhat de-accessorize since it became mine (floorboards, heel/toe shifter, backrest, passenger armrests, etc). Thankfully it didn't have a trunk rack because that would certainly have had to go. But, some things are best left alone. The side luggage "bumpers" or whatever they are called would need holes repaired or obvious plugs (rubber or chrome bolts/acorn nuts). Also the "shark gills" could be removed but I've noticed at least on the left one there is a barely visible crack in the covered over OEM Illusion Red grille. Best to leave it be and most people like the look anyways, so it's easier to live with it/them. View attachment 369875
She looks fine to me 😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts