GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is costly to operate a business but here in my area our dealers are charging up to $230 to install a pair of tires. This is if you buy your tires over the internet. If you buy from them the cost is some what cheaper but not enough to encourage you to buy from them because their in store prices are up to $200 more for the same tires. I am not sure what the answer is but it is a tough row to hoe. Our average shop rate here in $100 an hour which seems excessive on the side of the counter I stand on.

:wrong:

Reactions: number18

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I recently paid about $12 each, to have car tires mounted on spare rear Goldwing wheels. I took them to the facility one at a time, and first wheel was bare, but the other had the old tire still one it. I believe the second one was a bit cheaper than the first, even though it still had the old tire on it and included the disposal fee. Not sure why the difference, other than a different guy as the register. Of course it helps that my brother works there, but pretty sure it woulda been the same price for anyone.

Sounds like the places in IL are trying to discourage folks from buying tires off the internet. On the motorcycle, and usually on classic cars, I have always changed my own tires, except for run flat designed ones. You might want to invest in a Harbor Freight tire changer. They are still around $100, I believe, including the MC tire attachment. They make tire changing easy, except for run flats.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have never paid over $60 to mount a tire. Some tire places if you have one will mount them free when you buy the tire from them. For the last 20 years I take off my tires and take to a dealer or motorcycle tire shop and have them mount and balance them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had tires put on, which I purchased thru Honda Direct Line and they charged me $130.00 which I thought was a fair price. This was driving the bike in waiting by appointment for 1.5 hr. They did everything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Y'all need to look on YouTube for the video on mounting tires using 5 big tie-wraps. A couple of tire spoons and some soapy water and you will be riding on new tires in an hour or so. Very easy. I don't even use my tire change machine anymore. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to clean and inspect places I normally can't get to.

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts
I know it is costly to operate a business but here in my area our dealers are charging up to $230 to install a pair of tires. This is if you buy your tires over the internet. If you buy from them the cost is some what cheaper but not enough to encourage you to buy from them because their in store prices are up to $200 more for the same tires. I am not sure what the answer is but it is a tough row to hoe. Our average shop rate here in $100 an hour which seems excessive on the side of the counter I stand on.

Getting relatively hard nowadays to find a bike dealer or car dealer that charges under 100 bucks/hr shop rate. There’s a fair amount of overhead involved in keeping a dealership open.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,972 Posts

That shop rate is common now days. Did you ask if the shop would match your internet price for the tires. AND, the $230 may be high, but I "assume" that price includes them removing and replacing the wheels from and onto the bike. Did you ask the price if you brought in the wheels/old tires only? I do my own tire mounting and mechanics and I would not be interested in doing it commercially at the $230.00 rate. It takes me more than an hour start to finish to do a proper job of disassembly, demounting, rim cleaning, mounting, balancing, and re-assembly with care; not to mention setting up and tearing down the tire mount/demount equipment. Unless you are tough and mechanically inclined, I do not think demounting and mounting Goldwing tires is a practical option -- they are stiff and somewhat challenging for the tryo.

prs

Reactions: murf

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
$30-50 per tire is the average cost for dealers in Texas

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
It also depends on if you just bring in the wheels, or if you want the wheels removed and installed on the bike. You can usually save some money if you just bring in the wheels.

You should be able to set yourself up with the tools to mount and balance your own tires for under $300, but it will take some practice to learn how to do them. Once you do a few sets you'll start to gain a better understanding why they charge what they do. It's a fair amount of work, especially considering the time to balance, and R&R the wheels on the bike. $230 does sound a bit excessive though.

Link to tire installation photos here --> http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
$25 per wheel off the bike at my dealer. I bring in the new tires.:smile2:
Its a 10-15 minute job, Usually do it while I wait.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I'm in IL and feel your pain. Off bike i think I paid like $60/tire to get tires changed at BBK (since closed), but I do have a guy who has a professional tire changing machine and balancing machine who does it for I think $30 a pop (haven't used him in awhile). He can take the tires off since this is a side hustle and he is a motorcycle mechanic or car mechanic as his main thing, but I was wary of that, so I just brought my tires to him. I can give you his digits if you wanna give him a try

·
Registered
998 Posts
Tire change cost at motorcycle dealers has gotten too high for me. Plus I don't live near a dealer so there is another factor of time and inconvenience.

It's pretty easy to justify the cost of a tire changer if you ride a lot. Tires only last about 8000 miles for me. I bought a tire changer with a balancer from: Nomar Tire Changer Haven't used it yet. I have new tires for my Gold Wing and Street Glide waiting in the garage to install this spring.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tire change cost at motorcycle dealers has gotten too high for me. Plus I don't live near a dealer so there is another factor of time and inconvenience.

It's pretty easy to justify the cost of a tire changer if you ride a lot. Tires only last about 8000 miles for me. I bought a tire changer with a balancer from: Nomar Tire Changer Haven't used it yet. I have new tires for my Gold Wing and Street Glide waiting in the garage to install this spring.
hulkss, I have the machine. The ty-wrap method is much easier than the machine. I only use the machine to hold the wheel so I don't have to work on the floor.

·
Love The DCT
12,011 Posts

I supplied the tires and had the dealer change the front and rear tires. Price was 154 bucks. That included new valve stems, weights, balancing and tire disposal fee. Labor rate was 119 bucks/hr.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I supplied the tires and had the dealer change the front and rear tires. Price was 154 bucks. That included new valve stems, weights, balancing and tire disposal fee. Labor rate was 119 bucks/hr.

I think that is a fair or even more than fair deal.

prs

Reactions: murf

·
Registered
998 Posts
hulkss, I have the machine. The ty-wrap method is much easier than the machine. I only use the machine to hold the wheel so I don't have to work on the floor.
Yes, half the battle is securing the wheel in a decent position to work on it. The machine is good at breaking the bead loose too.

I can't comment more than that 'till I use it.

I figure I can save about $300 per tire change (front and rear) based on internet tire discounts and installation charges.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
in Orlando Florida the shop rate is $130./hour plus shop fees and tire disposal fee. with the tires on the bike it is over $250. to change tires, plus the cost of the tires, could be easily $600. total if you choose Avons. when I asked why the answer was liability for changing the tires.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
I take my wheels to the dealer to have the tires changed. It costs 30 dollars per wheel around here. I take my wheels to the dealer because they have a tire machine that never touches the rim when changing the tire, so no worries about scratches or dings on my wheels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts