GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You deliver Bike and you have tires on hand! What is your cost?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In general, $100 to $150. Dealerships don't like people that bring in their own tires.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Each dealership is differant. Some don't like it ? Others don't give a rip. My dealer charges a modest fee. Ballpark figures ?......With tires in hand about $50.......

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
You deliver Bike and you have tires on hand! What is your cost?
If they have to remove the wheels, figure an hour each at whatever rate the shop has. If you take the wheels in, figure a half hour each.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My local dealer charges $30 per wheel if you bring them the new tires and the wheels/old tires off of the bike. This is to change the tire and rebalance.

RRP

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just had mine changed Saturday, $25 per tire off the bike, I bought tires and stems @ Hals brought in the old tires, hour later walked out with new tires mounted. Rate on the bike is $30 per tire.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Just did mine last Saturday. I took off the wheels, took them in and they installed my new tires for $22 each - includes $2 disposal fee for old tires.

They also allowed me to install the smart tire system in the process. This was a smaller motorcycle shop, does not sell bikes - you might try finding one of those as generally they'll let you wait while it is done and you can watch.

And to your original question if you take the bike in and they handle it from there - I did that on the previous set of tires and they charged $100 for the pair - again, a small shop, did not sell bikes.

For the extra $60 I'd rather they did the whole thing, but I wanted to install the smart tire system myself this time and felt this was the best way to go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
tires

If you don't mind going for a little ride to get tires try Eric Howell at Howells Cycles in Van, Texas.

Last time I brought in the tires and he changed front and back and balanced for around $60 I believe.

He also sells tires at reasonable prices and is a very nice person.

http://www.howellscycle.com/

Alan

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Unless I misunderstood the question, jchef was asking for a price including removing and replacing the wheels and tires from the bike. The rear wheel on an 1800 is a piece of cake to remove, but the front is just as involved as that same job on any Wing back to the GL1000.

If you carry the tires and wheels in, it shouldn't cost more than $20 each for tire replacement and balancing, but my local dealer charges a $15 each surcharge for mounting tires purchased elsewhere. Even then it's cheaper to buy them from Hal, the dealer adds $50 to $75 to Hal's tire prices.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think it is around $100.(34.50 front and 64.90 rear)
It took me awhile to figure out the system at Woods Fun Center in Austin.
I was very upset with my first experience because after I got a labor quote on the phone, they tacked on additional $25 dollars penalty during checkout since I had "carry in" tires. I still saved $50 (instead of $75) by mail ordering my tires. I was also frustrated at getting very expensive valve stems put on every 6 months by default since I go through almost two sets of tires a year.

Well I am a happy customer with Woods now because I found out that they match any available internet price I can find and they let me decline the new stems (I choose to have them replaced every year or two). I can actually call them on the phone and give them the URL for the tire price and place my order over the phone if they don't have them in stock. I don't mind paying the %8.25 sales tax on $300 to $350 worth of tires to support our local business ($25 OR $30). I would not even mind paying a local shop %10 above internet prices for having a local shop with new motorcycles to drool on and repair parts in stock. I guess everyone has their limit, but for me, I am not willing to pay more than about a 10% premium to keep my business local. That’s why Hal gets a good chunk of my business.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
The Honda dealer here in Jacksonville has the best prices around.

Metzlers, E3's, Avons are all $269.99, mounted and balanced (plus tax and those stupid tire disposal fees). Bridgestones and $10 more.

I just had my first set installed last week. I went with the Avons. Took them about an hour to do the install. So far, so good. I only had about 9000 miles on the D250's, but with two plugs in the rear tire and needing another one, I deicided to bite the bullet before I bit the dust.

Bartman

·
Registered
49 Posts
In addition to the price of the tires, a dealer here in Northern VA charges 90.00 for the rear and 50.00 for the front if you bring in the bike and you want them to do the whole job. Thats provided you buy the tires from them.

If you just bring in the wheels, For 35.00/rim they will remove and dispose of the old tire and mount and balace the new tire. Again, that provided you buy the new tires from them.

If you dont by the new tires from them, add a 100.00 to the fee.

The price of their tires vary. Sometimes their tire prices are close to the web prices and sometimes they are over by about 20.00 - 30.00. It seem like it always cheapest to buy the tires from the local dealer here, then bring in just the wheels from them to unmount/mount.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed, got it right! How to install? Carried tires and have them install!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Checked my records and was charged $132 to change Hal bought tires still on the bike at Twin City Honda/Suzuki in Festus, MO. 2.2 hours at $60/hr.

One place wanted double normal fee since I had the tires, others won't do any install unless you buy from them. Twin City figures $60/hr is $60/hr no matter what they install. Just got quote of $90 for heated grip install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts