GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Goldwing Base DCT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alittle back story, been riding for 47 years now. A few years back I was hit on my bike by someone running from the police. Luckly I was not hurt, only a small burn on my arm from my arm laying on the exhaust for a few seconds.
Bike was complete loss.
Fast forward to last Easter Sunday, I took my brand new Harley Road King out for a short ride.
Riding on the main 4 lane street, there was a guy walking down the street with his pit bull. Little did I know the dog was not leashed, and as I was riding along at 55mph or so ( that was the speed limit there) the dog charged me. I hit the dog which ripped the bars to the side and me and the bike went sliding and tumbeling 150 ft.
Bike was toast, my full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves were all tore up.
I didnt get a scratch.
Police, paramedics and firefighters there couldnt believe it after seeing my gear.
Now I bought my new Goldwing DCT. When I got on to ride away from dealership, I made it about a mile and had to stop. Shaking and breathing fast. Calmed down and made it 5 more miles, same thing happened. Calmed down and it happened again after another 5 miles or so..
Made it home, and the bike has sat for almost 2 months now. I go to ride it, and I have only made it down my driveway and I just cant seem to go.
I want to power through it, but I dont want to ride if im spending my time paying attention to my nerves and less on the road. I hope this goes away over time, I never had a issue after the wreck, but once I got this bike im even having nightmares about it now.
The brain does some wild stuff sometimes.
And as a side note, while me and the bike were laying in the street, cars were just going around me. People stopped to help the dog which was dead but no one stopped for me until 2 guys on bikes went by in the other dierection, stopped and ran over to help me.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Anxiety can be tough, kind of like getting thrown off a horse and getting back on. From my experience you just have to do it! It will/should go away with time!

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
WOW! I feel for you and wish I could say no, you'll get over it. However, I can't. You are the only one who can make that decision.

Your gear experience matches that of my friend who was rear-ended very recently. He wears ATGATT high-end Klim gear boots, gloves and helmet. His gear was destroyed but saved him. We pursue a dangerous hobby and know it has risks. I try to dress and to ride in a manner to minimize the risks, but they still exist.

It's a hard decision, but it is your's, and perhaps your loved ones, to make. Good luck.

Glen

·
Administrator
4,943 Posts
Love your user name, I was wearing my Glock at the time in my waist band ( I have a CCW) and the grip was ground through to the magazine. That saved my hip.
I always said my Glock is protective gear, but now it has a double meaning. Cool!

·
Registered
766 Posts
You road one mile, then you road five miles – twice. Baby steps… You may never ever have another incident. But that doesn’t matter if your anxiety level keeps you from enjoying it. I’ve never been in your position and can only guess at what you’re experiencing. If I were, and riding meant that much to me (which it does) I may decide to talk to someone about it. Seriously, no disrespect intended. What you decide is ultimately up to you. I wish you well with your decision.
By-the-way, I love dogs. It's people I have issue with.

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
My wife has the same problem, she used to to ride with me 100% of the time, and on long distance trips, 100's of miles.. then we got into a slight fender bender 10 years ago @ 5mph.and that was the last she rode...............And fortunately when I ride, I have to brag that I DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT, and defiantly not a speed demon .......... What's - so- ever

Ronnie

Reactions: Kodiak536

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My wife has the same problem, she used to to ride with me 100% of the time, and on long distance trips, 100's of miles.. then we got into a slight fender bender 10 years ago @ 5mph.and that was the last she rode...............And fortunately when I ride, I have to brag that I DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT, and defiantly not a speed demon .......... What's - so- ever

Ronnie
Wife and I ride together still, except when I ride to work.

We had 2, yes TWO, rear end accident(they hitvus) at stop lights on our bikes.

She STILL insist on riding together🤔😁

I wonder what's wrong with her??? Oh, never mind. She's married to me, there IS something wrong with her🤣🤣🤣🤫🤭

·
Registered
766 Posts

Ronnie
Unfortunate about your wife not riding with you. Those were my best times.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I went flying over the Handlebars on my Harley Low Rider when I locked up the front brakes while trying to keep from running into the back of a guy's bike who had abruptly slowed without warning while we were doing over 70. I had always kept a good distance but that day it disappeared in a hurry. After I got back to riding my Goldwing, I was a nervous wreck every time I would have to slow and stop behind other vehicles. It took a couple years for that fear of running into the back of someone to diminish. But it finally did. I've been riding for 58 years, 43 on Goldwings and I have had one or more motorcycles for every one of those years. But, like so many say: "Time Heals."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a little advice, not that it means much but,,, I raced superbike for many years, and crashed many times, I never had an issue with the crashes that I knew what happened, which was the case for most of them. But there was one that I could not explain. That one laid in the back of my head for the rest of the time I raced. It didn't slow me down, but it did tear up my stomach and brain. Still think about it sometimes. How does this info apply to you, you ask? Well, it seems like from the descriptions above (at least the dog incident), you can explain what happened. When you see a dog now, you can approach the situation differently. Maybe change lanes, slow down, turn away, what ever may have been available at the time. You now can look for those opportunities when the situation comes along again, because you have experienced it. Use what you have seen in the past to your advantage. I know, easy for someone else to say...

One other thought,
After one of my more sever crashes, the team manager suggested that I race down a couple of classes for a while before jumping back on the fast bikes again. It helped me tremendously!! I would suggest that if you have the means, maybe purchase a small bike or scooter just to putt around the neighborhood for a while and see how that goes. Maybe you will gain back your confidence, and be rolling again!

·
Registered
2019 Tour 6MT
649 Posts
You have PTSD from your accident.
Back in 2019 on a Friday evening, I was sitting [in my business Suburban] at a red light behind an older Ford F150. We were in the center lane of three lanes heading north (the two outer lanes were open). A 16 y/o girl with seven weeks of experience WITH A PASSENGER (illegal in Colorado for her to have had him in the car) plowed into my Suburban at 50MPH. The skids marks from her braking were maybe a dozen feet long. Pushed my Suburban into the F150 for additional damage.
I had a very sore neck for a while - and $20k worth of damage to my Suburban.
For weeks (months) after that, I'd freak out if I had to stop at that light - and I would not stop in the middle lane. I no longer live in that area - but still get the low-level heebie-jeebies when I have to go through that intersection.
It'll take some time - but continued exposure will make it easier each time.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
216 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
I'd suggest riding in less crowded places. All your accidents, as described, sounded like an urban area, where dogs and humans are walking next to roads with 55 MPH traffic. That sounded like insanity to me.
I do not ride in urban places, unless I have no choice. My preferred riding locations are often country roads, farm roads and ideally in the wilderness.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Alittle back story, been riding for 47 years now. A few years back I was hit on my bike by someone running from the police. Luckly I was not hurt, only a small burn on my arm from my arm laying on the exhaust for a few seconds.
Bike was complete loss.
Fast forward to last Easter Sunday, I took my brand new Harley Road King out for a short ride.
Riding on the main 4 lane street, there was a guy walking down the street with his pit bull. Little did I know the dog was not leashed, and as I was riding along at 55mph or so ( that was the speed limit there) the dog charged me. I hit the dog which ripped the bars to the side and me and the bike went sliding and tumbeling 150 ft.
Bike was toast, my full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves were all tore up.
I didnt get a scratch.
Police, paramedics and firefighters there couldnt believe it after seeing my gear.
Now I bought my new Goldwing DCT. When I got on to ride away from dealership, I made it about a mile and had to stop. Shaking and breathing fast. Calmed down and made it 5 more miles, same thing happened. Calmed down and it happened again after another 5 miles or so..
Made it home, and the bike has sat for almost 2 months now. I go to ride it, and I have only made it down my driveway and I just cant seem to go.
I want to power through it, but I dont want to ride if im spending my time paying attention to my nerves and less on the road. I hope this goes away over time, I never had a issue after the wreck, but once I got this bike im even having nightmares about it now.
The brain does some wild stuff sometimes.
And as a side note, while me and the bike were laying in the street, cars were just going around me. People stopped to help the dog which was dead but no one stopped for me until 2 guys on bikes went by in the other dierection, stopped and ran over to help me.
Have you considered hypnotherapy(hypnosis}? It can do wonders for this kind of issue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Possibly look into taking a rider course. No only will you learn something (we ALWAYS do) but a controlled environment and some time working on small stuff might give confidence and allow time to work back into it. You might even be able to use a smaller bike. Many motorcycle schools also offer private lessons if that's more your style.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts