GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Goldwing Base DCT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes, the brain is a amazing thing. I remember with the guy yelling at me, I tripped over my saddle bag and thinking after all this, now im going to get into a fight with this yahoo and I cant see, thats when the 2 guys on bikes arrived. They were 1%ers and wearing colors, needless to say 1 helped me the other went after the dog owner. The guys were great, they called their guys, got a trailer loaded my bike up and got me home after.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour
7 Posts
Alittle back story, been riding for 47 years now. A few years back I was hit on my bike by someone running from the police. Luckly I was not hurt, only a small burn on my arm from my arm laying on the exhaust for a few seconds.
Bike was complete loss.
Fast forward to last Easter Sunday, I took my brand new Harley Road King out for a short ride.
Riding on the main 4 lane street, there was a guy walking down the street with his pit bull. Little did I know the dog was not leashed, and as I was riding along at 55mph or so ( that was the speed limit there) the dog charged me. I hit the dog which ripped the bars to the side and me and the bike went sliding and tumbeling 150 ft.
Bike was toast, my full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves were all tore up.
I didnt get a scratch.
Police, paramedics and firefighters there couldnt believe it after seeing my gear.
Now I bought my new Goldwing DCT. When I got on to ride away from dealership, I made it about a mile and had to stop. Shaking and breathing fast. Calmed down and made it 5 more miles, same thing happened. Calmed down and it happened again after another 5 miles or so..
Made it home, and the bike has sat for almost 2 months now. I go to ride it, and I have only made it down my driveway and I just cant seem to go.
I want to power through it, but I dont want to ride if im spending my time paying attention to my nerves and less on the road. I hope this goes away over time, I never had a issue after the wreck, but once I got this bike im even having nightmares about it now.
The brain does some wild stuff sometimes.
And as a side note, while me and the bike were laying in the street, cars were just going around me. People stopped to help the dog which was dead but no one stopped for me until 2 guys on bikes went by in the other dierection, stopped and ran over to help me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
Fast forward to last Easter Sunday, I took my brand new Harley Road King out for a
I always find taking an Advanced Riders Course gives me increased confidence that I'm 'road ready'

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Airbag
53 Posts
Alittle back story, been riding for 47 years now. A few years back I was hit on my bike by someone running from the police. Luckly I was not hurt, only a small burn on my arm from my arm laying on the exhaust for a few seconds.
Bike was complete loss.
Fast forward to last Easter Sunday, I took my brand new Harley Road King out for a short ride.
Riding on the main 4 lane street, there was a guy walking down the street with his pit bull. Little did I know the dog was not leashed, and as I was riding along at 55mph or so ( that was the speed limit there) the dog charged me. I hit the dog which ripped the bars to the side and me and the bike went sliding and tumbeling 150 ft.
Bike was toast, my full face helmet, leather jacket and gloves were all tore up.
I didnt get a scratch.
Police, paramedics and firefighters there couldnt believe it after seeing my gear.
Now I bought my new Goldwing DCT. When I got on to ride away from dealership, I made it about a mile and had to stop. Shaking and breathing fast. Calmed down and made it 5 more miles, same thing happened. Calmed down and it happened again after another 5 miles or so..
Made it home, and the bike has sat for almost 2 months now. I go to ride it, and I have only made it down my driveway and I just cant seem to go.
I want to power through it, but I dont want to ride if im spending my time paying attention to my nerves and less on the road. I hope this goes away over time, I never had a issue after the wreck, but once I got this bike im even having nightmares about it now.
And as a side note, while me and the bike were laying in the street, cars were just going around me. People stopped to help the dog which was dead but no one stopped for me until 2 guys on bikes went by in the other dierection, stopped and ran over to help me.
Wow. Glad you were physically OK. That's a really messed up story. It's bad enough with cars, but we also have to look out for charging pit bulls? I hope you went after the man whose fault this all is. His recklessness changed your life, and you should be compensated for it (seriously). I almost always wear a full face helmet but don't always wear other protective gear. Your story is making me think twice about that. I usually ride in southern Chester County, PA (Amish country) where I often don't have cars around me, and the most dangerous thing I have to watch out for is a slippery pile of horse you-know-what in the middle of the road. Haven't seen any dogs, thank God. You might want to look into using CBD in some form or other. I have had several friends who said it helped tremendously with anxiety. One is an ex-fire chief who said it helps him a lot with his PTSD (why he is no longer chief). Best wishes and God bless. Hope you conquer this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with bumblebee I have crashed my bikes once every 10 years over 40 years of riding. Four times.
Each one is a journey. Luckily growing up as a kid we rode bicycles all over motocross like dirt tracks, we crashed our bikes all the time so I did learn how to crash. Crashes are very similar to natural disasters... Forces of nature rise up and interfere with your plans and/or expectations.
I do a deep forensic analysis of the event.
As a motorcycle rider I have learned to be committed to learning improving every trouble spot is a point of learning. You go through stages in riding where you get comfortable and consider yourself skilled and perhaps overconfident, and you lower your defenses and awareness, and you raise your expectations that nothing will happen today. Missed opportunities to pay attention and see the event before it happens.

My forensic analysis tries to accurately assign blame to the various participants and/or natural forces.
This can be difficult for certain egos, also good people can take way too much blame, thus the accuracy is important.
This accident was about 20% my fault. Then specifically and detailed what skill needs to be improved, that could have avoided this. Most motorcyclists obviously carry too much speed, and do not give enough space to the objects around them.

The best example I have I was third in a line of 4 cars with a yield sign entering out heavy traffic four-lane highway.
15 to 30 seconds before each car could enter the highway. First car pulls out.
We all move up 10 feet, next car wait wait wait wait. Makes it under the highway.
We all move up 10 feet. My turn to move up to the limit line. I move up gently stop.
I am a rear ended at 15 miles an hour by the car behind me crushes the bike knocks me over disaster.
100% no-fault of mine I did absolutely nothing incorrect. That is the lesson most motorcyclists learn, you are extremely exposed, to the forces of nature, and you need to develop skills and expertise in strategy.... 2 to 3 times better than the general public. I was extremely upset angry unfair afraid why did it happen to me. Some random idiot stole my confidence and my skill, how will I regain it. Could I have seen that coming? Answer yes.
So within a few days I came up with a learning strategy to prevent this from happening again, a new skill a new lesson learned.
I now will not allow a car to get within 8 feet, while I am stopped at stop signs or stop lights. I very carefully monitor the people behind me and their approach speed. I often now turn around and put my hand up to cars behind me...... stop you are getting too close.
While I am splitting traffic I almost never have problems because I am driving the bike in spaces where cars do not go regularly. At a stoplight you start behaving like a car. So you will get hit like most cars get rear ended.
So now I also make sure to pull over to one side of the lane to give the idiot a last-second chance to swerve and avoid hitting me creating more space for the poor drivers. So now I have a certain amount of confidence that I will Not be rear-ended again.
Just a small example of many of the skills you pick up if you analyze your disaster of the day.
Perhaps you had 10% fault. What could you have done better, how could you have helped everybody have a winning day including yourself.
Your confidence is restored, if you can admit that you may have been lackadaisical, or could have paid attention to detail a little better, or were carrying too much speed.
But even if you had no-fault there is still the skill of paying attention to detail to prevent it from happening again which then also gives you your confidence back.
A renewed sense that it does require you to be better than all the rest, unfortunately, to ride a motorcycle.
Fear of the unknown, not being able to figure out why you crashed as bumblebee said is the source of the fear and lost confidence.
So, the brain is very complicated and stubborn sometimes.

Good luck sorry to hear about it.
A series of unfortunate events.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
I didnt get a scratch.
I had bad crash in 2008, hit head on at 55, my body broke the cars windshield, broke 9 bones, 4 in my back. 3 months in wheelchair. 91 days after the wreck, I started riding again. First thing I did was took and finished the ride I was on that day. For the next 6 years, on the anniversary of the wreck I rode and finished the ride. First time I was shaking and a chill up my back. Still riding today. As for you, if you feel uncomfortable riding, there is NOTHING WRONG with stopping. You have to feel good about riding or stop. I hope all goes well for you and you are content with whatever decision you make. God bless.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Every accident is different. Everyone's reactions will be different. Everybody will find a different way to deal with his or her reactions. Everybody here means well, and there is a lot of useful advice. But the symptoms @Whylee is describing go well beyond "regular" reactions, beyond anxiety and "get back on the horse." He's describing, and having, panic attacks.

Sometimes we need help. Just like broken bones that can't be walked off or sucked up, some mental reactions go deep into the brain, and they can't be walked off or sucked up. We, especially men, are raised to show mental toughness; our identities as men are tied up in that. Often that's appropriate, but sometimes it's not. Far from solving a problem, sometimes sucing it up and getting back on the horse can make things, sometimes far worse. It's crucial to know the difference; crucial to know when and to admit that we need help, crucial to seek that help. There's no shame or weakness in it; what's a shame and a weakness are insisting on self-help we can't possibly provide. To his credit, @Whylee is aware of this. More people need to be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Really sorry to hear it. But you are correct in that, "the brain does some weird stuff." As Shakespeare might say,
"yes it do." As we get older, the stuff it does get stranger and more surprising. As others have pointed out. You'll probably get over it with time. Key word being, "probably". You can continue to try and push through. I think you will push through eventually. Maybe see a therapist? They can sometimes make sense of these things and give you some exercises to do. Mind exercises. I think the mind exercises will amount to slowly getting back into it, but I'm not a therapist. Might not be so bad to stop riding? I know I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. I know damn well my reaction time as diminished exponentially! The idiots on the road are worse than they ever were, and they were always pretty bad.
I sincerely wish you good luck in whichever route you take. It's all a part of like. Adapt and continue on, partner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Believe me, I consider myself very blessed that I have had the time I have. I have been through a war, 2 nasty motorcycle wrecks, and about 38 years of riding motocross and road racing, and made it pretty much unscathed.
If its time, im good with that.
It just confused me more than anything, trying to understand what was going on.

For what it is worth Whylee you may want to consider something like Motomark 1. Taking a refresher course (which I do every couple of years) can do wonders and we may also learn something new from it.

A year next month I was coming home from a 4 day bike trip down to Maggie Valley, NC. 15 minutes from home a guy in an SUV drove into me clipping the left front of my bike just in front of my left knee. I still can picture the front fairing exploding off and sliding down the road (I came off the bike at about 65mph). I had to get up and stop traffic so I could get off the road since there were semi's around me. Only one person stopped to see if I was ok and the person who hit me skipped off. I talked to a motorcycle cop about this and trying to wrap my head around it which helped tremendously.

A good friend of mine was out bicycling and had the same type of accident (dog ran out in front of him) and ended up in the hospital for a week. You and I lucked out. I was back riding in two weeks and have ridden about 7,000 miles since my accident. Leaving for a 9 day motorcycle trip out west in 2 weeks and heading back down to Maggie Valley in September.

Whylee hope this helps but would still strongly recommend motomark 1 or something similar. BTW a will be 71 in 5 months.

Mike Perez
Dublin, Ohio

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
All the replies have been enlightening. I do have a appointment to talk to someone, and take it from there depending on what they think.
I am going with my brother to the motocross track in a few hours.
Me and him have rode and raced here many years. I stopped riding dirt bikes a couple years ago, but I am going to give it a go out there and see how I feel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
I didnt get a scratch.
Sorry about your accident and more sorry for us, the people, who have lost our senses and priorities. I do ride a Goldwing and admit the bike gets heavier as the years pass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
I didn't get a scratch.
Police, paramedics and firefighters there couldn't believe it after seeing my gear.
I was in a very bad accident back in 1980. I was unconscious for two and a half weeks, paralyzed for nine months and when I finally came to I didn't recognize my mother. Thirteen years later I got another bike and I have been riding ever since. I have been riding my whole life and it's just in the blood. I have been riding with no fear and if I was scared ,I never would have gotten back in the saddle. If your not ready I would not recommend getting back into it until you are. Like you said you have to have full concentration on riding instead of fear. It's a very dangerous means of transportation that you enjoy ,It's all about the ride but I would not push yourself back into it until you are ready.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour 6 MT
257 Posts
Whylee:

Only you can decide to ride or hang it up. No one can fault you for stopping your riding, it should be something you enjoy. Otherwise there is no reason to continue.

I can relate totally to your aftermath. A dog ran out into my path from behind a hedge while on a trip on my Road King. I only had seconds to react at 35 MPH, I squared up on the dog and tried to ride straight. I think I hit the handle bars in the chest.

I woke up in the middle of the road laying on my side. When I opened up my eyes, I could see the teenage dog owner crying over her dead dog, and the thought went through my mind, "hey, want to check on me laying in the middle of the road"?

I broke my shoulder in 7 places, 9 broken ribs, punctured lung. My spleen was detached from both ends and I was bleeding internally. Had the ambulance not got me to the hospital fairly quickly, I would have died from the internal injuries. I spent a week in the hospital.

Long story short, this happened in August of 2008 near the end of the riding season. After a few months when I healed up, I retrieved the bike from the dealer where it was taken, brought it to the local dealership where I bought it and had them repair it over the winter.

In the spring, I went for my first ride. It was unsettling, but I just rode around residential areas for a couple of weeks until if felt natural and normal for me. It was like learning to ride all over again. After a few weeks, I started with some short rides and gradually built up my confidence.

Today the memories have faded and my wife and I just got back from a 8 day trip down the Oregon coast and the Pacific Coast Highway. I should mention she was on the back during the accident. Thank God she was unhurt. She still loves to ride 2 up and is a real encouragement to me.

I will say I am more cautious now, not that I wasn't a defensive rider before. But only you can make the riding decision for yourself. I just wanted to share my story with you and encourage you to give it a try. I don't regret my decision to restore my love of riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
I didnt get a scratch.

Around 2010 I Talladega on the way to work one cool Saturday morning. Came over a small rise and there were two cars stopped in both lanes, could have been talking to each other.. I was on my 2003 Sv1000s and got on the brakes hard and it locked up, it was either that or run right in the rear of one of them.. End up high side it and sliding head first then moved around sliding feet first.. The van moved forward (if not I would have been under it).. After that I had problems mentally when riding.. I was a aggressive rider and that stayed with me for about 4 to 5 years.. I was the guy who set the pace up front and after I was the guy in the back trying to catch up. Took me a while to get over that for some reason.. I am good now.. Give it some time..Dont give up yet..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
On a good note, I went out this morning to a local MX track that I have rode on for years.
Using my brothers bike since I sold mine a couple years ago, I wanted to give it a go and see what happened.
I rode a couple loose laps to reaquaint myself with the track, then gradually picked up the pace.
Had no issues at all, and by about the 5th lap, I was just trying to catch the guy in front of me.
Makes me wonder why I stopped riding MX. Im sure I will be sore tomorrow, put a good 1 1/2 on the track and had a blast.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
4 years ago I went to hospital to have 3 way bypass. A few days after I got home, I started having major issues. Was rushed to hospital by Wife, then ER put me in Ambulance to go to neighboring town/hospital. I was bad enough that a Priest was called in. 3 months later I finally went home to stay. Every time I would start to tell friends what all had happen I would start to cry very hard. After a week or so of this I talked to Doc who subscribed an mild anti-depressant. I couldn't really tell any difference, but my crying stopped. I don't remember name or if, but if you talked to Doc I'm sure they can help.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
4 years ago I went to hospital to have 3 way bypass. A few days after I got home, I started having major issues. Was rushed to hospital by Wife, then ER put me in Ambulance to go to neighboring town/hospital. I was bad enough that a Priest was called in. 3 months later I finally went home to stay. Every time I would start to tell friends what all had happen I would start to cry very hard. After a week or so of this I talked to Doc who subscribed an mild anti-depressant. I couldn't really tell any difference, but my crying stopped. I don't remember name or if, but if you talked to Doc I'm sure they can help.
Glad you're okay now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bike was complete loss.
I didnt get a scratch.
Take if from someone who has been riding for 54 years: If you're in an accident like you experienced, and you're having trouble getting back in the saddle, what I did was to get in my car/van/truck or whatever you drive; roll all the windows all the way down and lean a little closer to the window as you drive. The immediate feedback that you get from the sound and the wind rushing by is a bit of a "ramp" that will assist you in returning to what you love. It worked for me but I had to figure it out all on my own. Call me the bike whisperer . . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm there with you. 7 years ago, I hit a patch of ice on the interstate on which I should not have been riding. The bike was totaled. I bought a new 2015 Goldwing and went back to riding but every time i would come to a bridge, for the next year - even if it was in the summertime I was unnerved at the thought of ice on the bridge. It took a while for me to get over it, but it did happen with persistent riding even though every individual is different and handle things differently.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts