GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it is Feb. 24, 2009 and I have not ridden any of my bikes since Thanksgiving..

Now this is just a poor excuse to get one out but sometimes you have to do what you have to do..:nojoke::nojoke:

Anyway I was watching the weather forecast and they are calling for a couple good days of warm up. I keep the Nomad out in my nice barn and the JD snowblower in the garage for ease of operation for when it snows.. The Wing is sitting on the big lift up against the front wall of the garage so when things are put up they are there for the duration...

I decided to get the Nomad out because when the thaw comes it is very difficult to get it out. Mud and slush... I did get the Nomad out tonite and traded parking places with the JD.. Wife said it was all just so I could go for a ride.. Wellllllllllllll maybe she is partly correct, but the ride was a very short one.. Our road is solid SAND.....on top of blacktop... Very slickery to say the least.. I also had about 10 feet of ice to get the Nomad in the garage after I got it on the concrete.. I did get a short ride and I did get it in the garage without any mishaps.. Sometimes I do get lucky.

Now if it does get warm and the sand gets washed off guess who is ready for a ride.........

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
I feel your pain, but I just put the wing in the trailer heading south for a week
(I mean my evil brothers going south)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, here it is Feb. 24, 2009 and I have not ridden any of my bikes since Thanksgiving...
LOL Ross!!!

I feel your pain... I really do.

I did the same last week with my Wing. I usually ride it all winter unless there's snow, salt & crap on the road... but this year I had it off the road for the last 2 months of the riding season here while I did the 32K maint. thing and a few other mods that's I'd been wanting to do with the shelter & the other skin off of the bike.

Then... when I got it back together... since I hadn't gradually eased into cold-weather riding mode, it was too dang cold to ride.

Well... last week, I finally decided to break it out for the first ride. I mean, I had to road test my maintenence and mods, right? ;)

So I know what you mean! :thumbup:

And yeah, I'll be sure to park my toy box up your way when they let me retire.
:cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know i'm ready for a ride. I tore my right bicep back in September and had surgery for the repairs. They say it will take about 8-12 months to be back to full strength. I'm still on light duty at work and not allowed on the bike. :-(

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
just to make you feel better ross, i will run down to my bbq joint wednesday noon, and have a little for you

it should be 70 degrees wednesday

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just to make you feel better ross, i will run down to my bbq joint wednesday noon, and have a little for you

it should be 70 degrees wednesday
This time just have the brisket... :nojoke::nojoke:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ross we need to ride somewhere and get something to eat, it has been a while, I think it is your turn to buy :agree::thumbup::coffee1:
Let me use a quote from another board member: "I will buy you a glass of water while we are at the restaurant" ;);)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate in a way.

I don't store my Goldwing at home.

It's stored in a nearby location, so that why it's:

"Out of Sight and out of Mind."

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,732 Posts
This was me rolling out for work on Feb 9th. The driveway was pretty tricky, especially the closer I got to the street. The driveway is covered in ice and even more so at the apron. I don't have a plow or snow blower (no, I'm NOT shoveling a 250' long driveway that's 10' wide at it's narrowest point). Getting back in was even more tricky. I'm on the parkway, so you don't have a lot of room to swing out and come into the driveway straight on. Yea, that's all ice it's sitting on. :thumbup:
Feb 9 2009.jpg

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Last week it blipped up to 65 one day which gave me a comfortable 3 hour window to charge the battery and fill up the tank. The air tasted sweeter that day.

Bradford

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know where your coming from . Its been since October I haven't ridden the wing due to a broken right foot and ripped tendons. Was in a cast for 4 months after it was all said and done. All healed up and cant wait for the next ride.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Ross,
As stated in another post, this is the first time in 5 years I've been unable to get the bike out for a winter ride. I usually wait 4-5 days after a snowfall for the salt to clear and the roads to get nice and dry. That just hasn't happened this year.

We're on track for a record snow year. Over 58" so far. The good news is that the lakes are rising, so the fishing should be good this year.:p

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Ross,

What you need is a good steak dinner. I think a big steak at the Beef House is in order so you forget about riding for a couple of hours. Saturday, 6:00 PM, jeans and muscle shirt. I'm wearing my Leopard skin thong speedo.

I'll buy the water!!!!!

I couldn't get ahold of Red Willie tonight so I sent him an email. Hope they can make it. Dad says he would like to go but depends on how he feels. I made the Reservation for 9 people.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Today is Fat Tuesday, driveway was clear, roads were clear. I had to take the GW to the local Donut shop and get a couple of the best paczkis ever! Winter doesn't stop a ride. Just do it:eat2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Waiting for spring here in south central Wisconsin. Also for the spring rains to clean the roads. Too much salt and sand this winter for a early ride, even with a warm day.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
rode to Wi Dells today, hamburger at Monks, 280 mile round trip, very nice

1 - 20 of 38 Posts