GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I posted that my J&M Blu-Hub was rebooting.
Well, I talked to J&M and sent my unit in and they found nothing wrong with it, but did send me a new one anyways. (Thumbs up to them) :)
Well, I still have the problem.
The problem now is that I think it is the radio itself.
I now have an iPhone connected to the bike and here is what happened while riding yesterday.
As I was going down the freeway, just listening to the FM radio and using Google Maps to get somewhere, and I hear the tones of the Blu-Hub rebooting.
When the radio comes back on, my iPhone is disconnected and it is not displaying on the main screen.
What I have to do is pull over, turn the ignition off, and restart the bike.
At this point, the screen comes up asking if I want to use the iPhone once or Always. I select Always, and the screen should never come up again, but it does each time the radio reboots.
This tells me the radio has forgotten that I have ever had an iPhone connected to the bike.
I get the gps going and start on my way.
Later in the day as I am going down the freeway, again, it reboots again and I lose the connectivity to the iPhone and then of course I cannot use the Honda GPS because it won't let you do anything while the bike is in motion.
This happened at least 4 times yesterday, and no pattern to why it would do it.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem with their radio rebooting and losing the iPhone while just riding down the road?
Of course sporadic problems like this could be hard to find.

I want to talk to my dealer, or else call Honda Customer service and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know you just switched from Android to Apple. Did you see the same issue with your Android phone paired?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you just switched from Android to Apple. Did you see the same issue with your Android phone paired?

I had my Android phone paired and it would always be sitting in the trunk. I don't keep any music on my phone, so there was no need to plug it into the bike. It worked fine for phone calls through the radio.
I did have this problem but it did not affect the phone. It would just reboot and the radio and CB would come back on and work as normal. Since it affected my hearing the radio, I thought it might be the Blu-Hub, because I have never had a radio just turn off and then turn back on, on its own.

I have had this same problem of what I now believe to be the radio rebooting since I got the bike.
Now that I have my iPhone plugged into the bike, and it disconnects when this happens, I realized it cannot be the Blu-Hub, because if it was, it would not be able disconnect the iPhone from the radio and then after restarting the bike, causing the radio to ask if the phone should be used once or always. That tells me when the radio reboots, the setting (Always) has been cancelled or erased from the memory and it sees the iPhone as if I plugged it in for the first time.
My wife says it sounds like a software problem.
I went to the local dealer and they said they would file something on "a Tech Line". I don't know what that is, but hopefully someone will find out why this does this.
I am thinking of calling Honda myself and let them know what is going on so they have a record of it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It definitely sounds like an issue with the radio. It could be a software problem but it could also be a bad unit and the hardware is causing the reset. If you dont here back from the dealer in a few days I would call the Honda Customer Support line directly and explain the issue:

Honda Customer Service,
Motorcycle Division,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.,
P.O. Box 2200,
mailstop: 100-4C-7B,
Torrance, CA 90509-2200.
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Are you using an apple cable?

Seems 'aftermarket ' cables have bee a source of problem in several threads.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just a thought, are you using a passcode to unlock the phone. If the phone goes to sleep, it will need the passcode to unlock. I have seen this using the iPhone and Apple TV . I don’t use Bluetooth on the phone with the bike, since there is nothing using it. I have the sena headset as well.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have a Blue Hub, and it reboots every time I transmit with the CB.:frown2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tkenny53 - I have noticed that if I plug in the iPhone before I ride the bike, and then 5 - 10 mins later start the bike, I do have to pull the phone out and use the pass code to get it to work.

Art H - You gave me an idea. Yesterday, the iPhone quit working and there was a message on the radio that said the iPhone was disabled because the headset was disconnected.
So my thought was when it reboots, the connection to the headset is lost, which in turns disconnects the iPhone.
Then after reading your post about how using the CB causes the Blu-Hub to reboot, gave me a thought.
I am now wondering if it is the Blu-Hub, because if it does reboot using the CB, or somehow is affected by the CB, that would cause the iPhone to disconnect.
It could just be the Blu-Hub rebooting and causing this problem by itself.

I am going to have to search this problem further, like riding with the speakers on instead of the headset to see if the radio actually does turn off or if I lose sound only because of the Blu-Hub re-booting. I may have to switch the Blu-Hub for a Bluetooth headset and see if I still have the same problems.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I haven't rebooted the phone in a few days.
The problem is that Apple Car Play will not work without a paired headset.
Since my headset is turning off, it is unpaired with the radio and the Apple Car Play is cancelled.
It is just as if you were to unplug your phone from the bike, the Apple Car Play icon goes away.
Either turning off and on the ignition or unplugging and plugging in the iPhone will cause it to work again.
What I have decided to do is to buy a Bluetooth headset and see how that works.
If the problems go away....then I know the problem is with the Blu-Hub.
If it doesn't, then I will contact Honda.
That is about all I can do for now.
I know for a fact that keying down on the CB will cause the Blu-Hub to reboot. There is no reason why that should happen. Something isn't right in the Blu-Hub and there could be a problem with it that is causing it to reboot at random.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts