GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Need some advice from you experienced Darksiders... I recently purchased a rim, tire, and TPMS sensor from another darksider locally... The tire that was on the rim is a Yokohama Avid Envigor run flat... The tire is worn out (about 2K miles left he said) so I want to purchase a new tire for the rim and have it mounted...

My bike is a 2009 level III (ABS) so it has TPMS as does the spare rim I just purchased... Additionally, I purchased a Tire Watch monitor some time back, this is the one that Fred Harmon wrote about on this forum from Murph's Kits and it is modified to work with the existing OEM TPMS sensors in the bike rims...

Initially, I was going to order another Yokohama run flat, but I have been reading some posts and thinking that perhaps a non-run flat might be a better choice for the following reasons...

(a) The additional tire pressure would permit the OEM TPMS to work without flashing

(b) and also the additional pressure would give me increased load ratings for the tire...

It is worth mentioning here that most of the time, I am running a Tow Pack Insta Trike kit on my bike, so there isn't a lot of leaning involved in the twisties and while riding in general...

So knowing that info would you all recommend another Yokohama run flat or non-run flat OR, is there another tire that might be better suited to my needs knowing that I run the Tow Pac Insta Trike kit a large percentage of the time...

What I am looking to achieve here is increased tire mileage, as well as a better ride and better wet handling characterisitics, while saving a few bucks on rear tire cost... Based upon what I have been reading, going to the Darkside will accomplish all of these items...

Thanks in advance for all your advice and answers...

Les

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
Being you have trike kit non rf should work ok. I run rf on 2 wheels for safety reason . I dont have tpms so cant help there . Beleive tyhose that do reset it so works fine . Someone will chime in . How about running tire you got and mess with air pressure n see if you like ?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I may do that John... I just need to get the MC tire off and the new (car tire) on and that involves removing the trike kit, which in itself is not real difficult, just takes an extra few minutes and I prefer to do it with my bike on the lift, which is not available at this point in time...

Les

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
MY OLD ROYAL STAR DIDNT HAVE CENTER STAND SO USED TO BORROW NEIGHBORS ENGINE HOIST AND LIFT BACK OFF THE GROUND AND DROP WHEEL - USE JACK STANDS !! GOOD LUCK. HEY FIND A DITCH N CRAWL UNDER IT LOL.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Hi guys, ...

Initially, I was going to order another Yokohama run flat, but I have been reading some posts and thinking that perhaps a non-run flat might be a better choice for the following reasons...

(a) The additional tire pressure would permit the OEM TPMS to work without flashing

(b) and also the additional pressure would give me increased load ratings for the tire...

It is worth mentioning here that most of the time, I am running a Tow Pack Insta Trike kit on my bike, so there isn't a lot of leaning involved in the twisties and while riding in general...

So knowing that info would you all recommend another Yokohama run flat or non-run flat OR, is there another tire that might be better suited to my needs knowing that I run the Tow Pac Insta Trike kit a large percentage of the time...

What I am looking to achieve here is increased tire mileage, as well as a better ride and better wet handling characterisitics, while saving a few bucks on rear tire cost... Based upon what I have been reading, going to the Darkside will accomplish all of these items...

Thanks in advance for all your advice and answers...

Les
Well - the TPMS is the real issue here - you don't want the flashing light - otherwise you want a better ride and wet handling characteristics. Okay - not counting the TPMS issue - for a better (ie softer comfortable one) ride then the lower pressure of a run-flat will do you better. I can recommend either a Kumho or an Alpin for that - both are run-flats, both run on lower pressure, both are good in the wet - the kumho has more of a square profile so the bike will tend to stand up more and follow the road grooves/edges/uneveness more. May not be an issue with the trike kit. I'm currently running the Alpin. Minor load differences between a RF and a NRF - that really is not an issue for picking one over the other, and both are way better than a MT.

Now the issue with using a RF is you will need to get with someone that has the TPMS reset tool and swap the front and rear sensor registrations so the lower pressure doesn't activate the light. Not hard - and there are members on the board with the tool that will loan it out if asked.

I personnally like the increased safety of a RF - get a puncture - worst case if can't plug it can still ride 50+ miles on it to get to somewhere to get it repaired/replaced.

Anyhow - final decision is yours - but either way a CT is better than a MT in my opinion.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that info ssncob... I can disable the OEM TPMS per any one of several articles on the forum and my secondary system I believe will marry up to the tires without issue... I'll have to check the parameters of the Tire Watch system to see how low I can program the alerts...

I'm thinking I would prefer the run flat for the added protection of not having a flat tire and your info help with that decision... I also appreciate the info on the Kuhmo and Alpin - I'll have a look at those specs...

I may be back asking more questions on the front tire after I get the rear sorted out... Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate your comments...;)

Les

1 - 6 of 6 Posts