GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is the large silver cover on the front of the engine (behind the front wheel)? I'm asking because I've noticed a build-up of grime that is either some type of splash debris or I have oil weeping from the center bolt on the cover. The grime has an oily texture to it and I assume with the low front fender, I wouldn't be seeing splash patterns that high up. I've wiped of the build-up and will keep an eye on it but thought I'd see if this rings a bell with anyone. (I've only put 500 miles on the bike since last weekend so I'm still figuring out all the nuances.)
 

·
GL1800 Doctor
Joined
·
20,207 Posts
The large cover is the timing cover and the bolt/cap in the center is what you remove to line up the crankshaft timing marks to do the valve clearance check.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
TowJam said:
I'm sure this is a stupid question but what is the large silver cover on the front of the engine (behind the front wheel)? I'm asking because I've noticed a build-up of grime that is either some type of splash debris or I have oil weeping from the center bolt on the cover. The grime has an oily texture to it and I assume with the low front fender, I wouldn't be seeing splash patterns that high up. I've wiped of the build-up and will keep an eye on it but thought I'd see if this rings a bell with anyone. (I've only put 500 miles on the bike since last weekend so I'm still figuring out all the nuances.)
You need a service manual. It will tell you all about the machine. Get it here - they're on sale for the next few days! Get the Honda CD or paper manual - much better than Clymer's. The CD also comes with the owner's manual and parts manual.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/byProduct.asp?prd=Manual/Catalog&str=4&ID=715215782
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
techdude2000 said:
The large cover is the timing cover and the bolt/cap in the center is what you remove to line up the crankshaft timing marks to do the valve clearance check.:D
Thanks! So I will assume that what I was wiping down was road grime since there wouldn't be any oil collecting behind that bolt/cap.
 

·
GL1800 Doctor
Joined
·
20,207 Posts
TowJam said:
techdude2000 said:
The large cover is the timing cover and the bolt/cap in the center is what you remove to line up the crankshaft timing marks to do the valve clearance check.:D
Thanks! So I will assume that what I was wiping down was road grime since there wouldn't be any oil collecting behind that bolt/cap.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, there is oil behind that cover. It is covering the timing chains and the end of the crankshaft. There's an o-ring on that bolt/cap and it could seep some oil, but I'm betting you are seeing a little cosmoline residue mixed with road grime. Keep an eye on it, you shouldn't see much of it. If you don't know what cosmoline is, honda sprayed a mist of it all over the metal parts of the bike to protect it from corrosion while it was stored in the crate. Your dealer had to wash it off and sometimes they don't do a thorough job. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
techdude2000 said:
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, there is oil behind that cover. It is covering the timing chains and the end of the crankshaft. There's an o-ring on that bolt/cap and it could seep some oil, but I'm betting you are seeing a little cosmoline residue mixed with road grime. Keep an eye on it, you shouldn't see much of it. If you don't know what cosmoline is, honda sprayed a mist of it all over the metal parts of the bike to protect it from corrosion while it was stored in the crate. Your dealer had to wash it off and sometimes they don't do a thorough job. :D
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I did a 30 mile ride this morning (took the LONG way to work) and didn't see any further weepage. I'll keep an eye on it. But based on what you've told me, the worst case scenario is that I'd probably just need to remove the cap and R&R - or reseat the O-ring. I'm planning to pick up one of the service CDs that Wanderer linked to so this could end up being my first Wing wrenching job. (But again, only worst case scenario.)

Thanks for not laughing at a my obviously noob question. :bow:
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top