GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in north east Geauga county, and Ashtabula county is only a 1/2 mile down the road. Never went to the bridge festival, but have seen most all of these bridges. I would say that most of the ones I have visited are on dirt/gravel roads, but can be ridden by MC if are not picky about dust:22yikes:

Some of the bridges are on our area snowmobile trail routes and others we have just seen in our "Cage" outings

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wonder which covered bridge in Ohio is my favorite...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I looked at the history, most of the Ashtabula County bridges aren't that old. The biggest one I found was, maybe on State Rd, but shortly down the road the pavement ended like the road didn't go anywhere. That's a nice area, but I left wondering what the bridges were all about? The other link that was posted above misses the neatest covered bridge in our area. If you ever make it to Volant, check out Covered Bridge Road, along with all of the oddites that the Amish along the road do. There is an elevated laundry system that has clothes drying on pullies that are barn high, and an Amish saw mill. It's not a long road, but it's a fun road! (watch the horse droppings, you'll smell them for miles if you hit them:lol:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ashtabula County now has 17 covered bridge with 1 being the longest in the nation. I can forward some info if u would like.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ashtabula County now has 17 covered bridge with 1 being the longest in the nation. I can forward some info if u would like.
Could you Pm me any info you have on the longest? Covered bridges and the Amish have been getting my attention lately. I'm ready to re-grow the beard and buy a horse:lol:

TIA

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sammisgrammy,
PM sent, We will have to hook up sometime, I live across the lake from the spillway and I work for the Ashtabula County Engineers office as an Inspector. I Inspect all of the bridges every year and could show you around. We have a very good rehab program for the Covered Bridges and thats why they dont look to old, although we do have a couple of brand new ones.

Randy

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sammisgrammy,
PM sent, We will have to hook up sometime, I live across the lake from the spillway and I work for the Ashtabula County Engineers office as an Inspector. I Inspect all of the bridges every year and could show you around. We have a very good rehab program for the Covered Bridges and thats why they dont look to old, although we do have a couple of brand new ones.

Randy
Thanks Randy! I'm in that area (the spillway) once or twice a week during riding season. Let me know what works for you. Sunday and Thursday are the only days that I have any commitments, but all of the others work for me. Thanks for the PM

·
Registered
67 Posts
I drove a 108 mile loop today that goes thru or by 10 Covered Bridges on paved roads. The loop took me about 3 hours with no stops. As I stated in your PM, I am considering guiding a small group on the loop if you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested. The best day would be a weekend due to the time it takes to ride it, stop for photo's, EAT lol, and whatever anyone wants to do. I can also get tons of info from our Covered Bridge Committee that might be of interest.

My schedule is pretty flexible so if anyone would like to do this, I can make it happen.

Randy

·
Registered
136 Posts
My wife and I did a very small covered bridge tour yesterday. We spent too much time at the fairgrounds and only went to 3 bridges. It was 48 degrees most of the day and at speed....we got a chill. 140 mile day at that temp without restrictive cloting is about all I want. Leaves were at or near peak color and it was a beautiful day overall. My wife wanted to go back and see more bridges today, .....by car. I will be in Astabula quite a bit next summer, including Geneva (50 min straight up 534). BTW a lot of Amish along 534, especially on Sundays. :lol:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife and I did a very small covered bridge tour yesterday. We spent too much time at the fairgrounds and only went to 3 bridges. It was 48 degrees most of the day and at speed....we got a chill. 140 mile day at that temp without restrictive cloting is about all I want. Leaves were at or near peak color and it was a beautiful day overall. My wife wanted to go back and see more bridges today, .....by car. I will be in Astabula quite a bit next summer, including Geneva (50 min straight up 534). BTW a lot of Amish along 534, especially on Sundays. :lol:
Nice area! If you haven't been over to the Pymatuming Spillway in awhile, it has been totally redone and is a unique destination. Goldwing09 has a great job.......he's the county engineer for those bridges and he has some great info!! Ashtabula County is home to the longest covered bridge in the country (although I haven't got to that one--YET), so you'll have lots to see. Sounds like a good summer to me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
While riding in Andover on the covered bridge tour stop in at the Covered Bridge Pizzeria in Andover. I think it pretty good pizza and the restaurant is an old covered bridge. Eat there often during the summer while at camp.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While riding in Andover on the covered bridge tour stop in at the Covered Bridge Pizzeria in Andover. I think it pretty good pizza and the restaurant is an old covered bridge. Eat there often during the summer while at camp.
Thanks! I'll try it when the warmth returns:lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife and I do this ride every year during the festival. It's great. You start in the little town of Jefferson (County Seat) at the Fair grounds. We grab something to eat and check out the exibits. the head out on the road. even if you don't have a map all you have to do is follow the Little sign on the side of the road that have a cover bridge on them. They will take you thru the whole trip. At each bridge, they are selling something like Amish bake goods, Amish Crafts Etc... And because so many people are follow the route there are a lot of Yard Sales along the way. Yes, the Cover Bridge Pizza Restuarant is great to stop at along the way. It should take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours depending on how lond you spend at each bridge. We call this the last great ride. This our Labor Day for riding.

Everyone should do this festival at least once :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: out 5

1 - 17 of 17 Posts