GL1800Riders Forums banner

Will our new social practices continue in the future or fade away?

• Total voters
1 - 21 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, not unlike many others, already have plans made for road trips this Spring...early May for me with two (2) other friends.
I keep waiting for the National Park Service to start closing certain parks. But then again, I see them as places where there is plenty of space for "social distancing" even among the most popular parks...Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, for example.
Barring any closures to our planned visits, I still plan on going even though I am considered "high risk" for contracting the contagen. My thinking is just as I described above....traveling on the bike is safe from contracing COVID 19. Hotel stays are probably OK considering it's clean and I practice good hygiene. And the tourist attractions would be safe as long as I can maintain the "social distance" and maintain good hygiene.
Is today's environment teaching us good practices for the "everyday" socializing in the future? Where it may have once been rude to not shake hands or cancel an engagement with friends due to less than 100% healthy standard, is that going to be acceptable in the future? Or, will this all fade away and we return to our everyday practices until another new virus introduces itself to the human race in the coming years?
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was brought up to always shake ones hand when meeting or haven't seen them in a while.
I have gone to the fist bump instead of hand shaking and when out and about i always wear gloves.
I too am an Old Geezer and we just have to think a little bit before acting and changing our habits somewhat.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
For healthy people this vius rates as a very mild cold to a bad flu. Until an effective vaccine is available, it will come and go just like flu. For vacationing, it is unethical for any of us to travel when we have a contageous disease. If you are not ill, it is easy to motorcyce travel and avoid close contact with others with the exception of eating in public establishmets were selective seating can help and taking your chances with food and beverage.

prs

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
I have to admit, I still shake hands; old dogs and new tricks. Gotta get that elbow bump thing ingrained.

prs

·
Registered
264 Posts
I, not unlike many others, already have plans made for road trips this Spring...early May for me with two (2) other friends.
I keep waiting for the National Park Service to start closing certain parks. But then again, I see them as places where there is plenty of space for "social distancing" even among the most popular parks...Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, for example.
Barring any closures to our planned visits, I still plan on going even though I am considered "high risk" for contracting the contagen. My thinking is just as I described above....traveling on the bike is safe from contracing COVID 19. Hotel stays are probably OK considering it's clean and I practice good hygiene. And the tourist attractions would be safe as long as I can maintain the "social distance" and maintain good hygiene.
Is today's environment teaching us good practices for the "everyday" socializing in the future? Where it may have once been rude to not shake hands or cancel an engagement with friends due to less than 100% healthy standard, is that going to be acceptable in the future? Or, will this all fade away and we return to our everyday practices until another new virus introduces itself to the human race in the coming years?
What are your thoughts?
You may practice good hygiene but others likely not...are you willing to risk your Health to some sranger potential infection?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I remember bird flu, swine flu, oil embargo. All these and many more were looked at as worst things that could happen. This new virus is bad but will also fade away. I think by the time summer travel season gets here things will be back to normal. I just wonder about the economy all these companies thay are sending people home and work from home. Big companies are looseing money and they are going to make it up somehow. Prices will most likely rise and I don't think we need that at this time.
If everyone would say a little prayer for your family, your neighbors, and this great country of ours it will help.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't remember countries shutting down before let alone money making concerns in this greedy country we live in, this is more then the average cold.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As for me, I'm always careful about hygiene in motels, and I don't like being close to other people anyway. Personally, I can't wait to get some me-alone-in-the-desert-with-my-motorcycle time this summer. I'm not much for planning "trips" per se, just a final destination and ride. We'll see how it plays out, but I don't see this pandemic affecting the kind of riding I really enjoy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Until a vaccination is available for covid-19 we have to take precautions.
Vaccinations are available for the other corona virus, not this one.
And our hospital/ICU systems are not prepared for this situation so anything we can do to delay the spreading of this infection is helping.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In May I have a trip to the Smokies. Yellowstone, Moab, Pikes peak, Rocky mountain ntl park are in my plans for June. I have no plans on changing my plans because of a bug.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I look at this like driving in the snow...... I may have snow tires on my car and know how to drive in the white stuff. Doesn't mean the other idiots on the road do.

But, getting the virus is a lot more risky than someone bumping into my car.

There is nothing wrong with being safe. And those of you that want to throw caution to the wind.... well, there's nothing wrong with that either. Until you bump into me....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I refuse to live in fear. I will do what I normally do while being abundantly cautious.I have a couple of rides planned for the month of May, I plan on going. The idiots that think this is the end of the world are causing undo grief to others. Shut off the TV, quit hanging on every bit of news the hucksters are blathering about, Give your wife an extra hug, call your kids and grandkids and tell them how much you love them and assure them that this too will pass, smile and wave to your friends, neighbors and strangers. Everyone could stand a little sunshine in their lives, be that sunshine.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Having lived through my childhood, teen years driving, Viet Nam war, all of the aforementioned end of world events, and now over 70 years old, I am not living my life in fear of pretty much anything!

I will take the common sense precautions (washing my hands) but I'm going to have fun. What gets me in the end, gets me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This pandemic has shut down portions or all of 6 countries that don’t particularly listen to the TV hucksters here. Not backwater third world countries, first world countries with good medical care and modern facilities. Shut down to flatten the curve of infections. All of this in about 15 days. This is something that will pass and everyday life will return to normal but right now we need to learn from the mistakes already made. Every day matters right now if we don’t want the same thing to happen here. Social distancing and good hygiene practices today will protect many lives in the next few weeks. Then we ride on all the trips we have planned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Amen Brother. if People were as afraid to go to Hell as they are of this virus, our churches would be standing room only.

Something to consider. don't take my word for it. google it. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to that article.

the New York Times reported that 80,000 people died of the flu last year in the UNITED STATES alone. We never heard a word about it from the media and there was no panic.
The coronavirus has killed 6,065 WORLDWIDE as of Today.
You can draw your own conclusions from this information.

I hold a masters degree in Pathology/Immunology and I ran Pathology Laboratories at University Medical Centers for over 45 years (recently retired). I am not an epidemiologist but I am educated with a long career in the medical field so I probably understand the science better than the average person.
I won't bore you further.
My opinion: if you plan to ride, do it. don't change your plans. But listen to what your mama told you. WASH YOUR HANDS !

1 - 21 of 76 Posts