GL1800Riders Forums banner

Will our new social practices continue in the future or fade away?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
339 Posts
Amen Brother. if People were as afraid to go to Hell as they are of this virus, our churches would be standing room only.

Something to consider. don't take my word for it. google it. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to that article.

The New York Times reported that 80,000 people died of the flu last year in the UNITED STATES alone. We never heard a word about it from the media and there was no panic.
The coronavirus has killed 6,065 WORLDWIDE as of Today.
The current circumstances aren't adding up for me. I don't know if we will ever learn the truth behind what is currently going on, but it wouldn't surprise me if this year's election has something to do with it.
Gentlemen: let's keep political opinions out of this. Gets to be a slippery slope in a hurry!

Thank You.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My apologies. I didn't intend to get political and didn't realize that I had. I was hoping to calm worries. I'll put it this way. if you are out riding your bike or attending rallies with large crowds outdoors in fresh air, you are alot safer than sitting on a plane breathing recycled air in a pressurized cabin for 2+ hours. Everything is relative but all things being equal outdoor activities are generally healthier overall.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am of the mindset that we are past the point of trying to "avoid" getting it. I think that the number of people that already have it is probably astonishing. With that being said, we will use the anti-fever medications and other remedies that we have when combating a bad cold or flu. To the original question, I do believe that there will be some big rally's that are cancelled. I think Americade, Laconia and even Sturgis could be in jeopardy. My question is for those that were planning on going to a larger rally. Would you still go to ride the scenic roads in those areas even if there was no "official" event?

·
Registered
352 Posts
With that being said, we will use the anti-fever medications and other remedies that we have when combating a bad cold or flu.
If you are in the 30% of people getting severe or worse symptoms , those thing will do nothing and you will end up in Hospital + ICU.
If you are isolated at home with the mild version, those meds will only reduce symptoms but you will get better no matter what you do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
--

Funny to me how some things are revelations to others. I'm 79, so I've been around a lot of stuff, but I've always thought it was good to take ordinary precautions when possible and practical. For instance, I've always used a seat belt which has protected me three times from very serious harm. I always wear ATGATT, which has limited my harm in a number of instances. I wear a helmet when riding on a bicycle. I seem to be the only person (and my wife when she was still here) who washes their hands before they eat ANYWHERE, even in restaurants. And so on.

The results: Well, as to flu or colds or other sickness, I get one maybe every 15 years. I have several helmets that have large scratches on them, but not on my head. Maybe this current trial period will get a lot of folks to re-evaluate how they protect themselves from contagions and other easily bad outcomes.

I'm not lecturing anyone, just saying what I think has helped me survive over the years.

--

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am of the mindset that we are past the point of trying to "avoid" getting it. I think that the number of people that already have it is probably astonishing. With that being said, we will use the anti-fever medications and other remedies that we have when combating a bad cold or flu. To the original question, I do believe that there will be some big rally's that are cancelled. I think Americade, Laconia and even Sturgis could be in jeopardy. My question is for those that were planning on going to a larger rally. Would you still go to ride the scenic roads in those areas even if there was no "official" event?
I am booked to go to Sturgis again. Having ridden all the surrounding roads many times, I would not go if the formal event were to be cancelled. It's not the same without all the people and vendors.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I put my bike in isolation when all of this started. I hope I can remember where I put it when it's all over!:)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I heard today from a good source, an MD, that people age 60 and older, especially males, are at most risk for getting this virus. Of those that do the current trend predicts 50% will need hospitalization, 80% if diabetic, 90% for those with heart conditions. Being over 60 I was advised to self-quarantine until this virus subsides. I ride solo. If I pack a lunch, I can easily self-quarantine. The only potential exposure will occur when refueling.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I've seen people say "There's no vaccine for Corona like there is for the common flu so its more dangerous !! " When is the last time the news reported that people were dying because there is people that are not getting a flu shot ?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I believe Daytona Beach Bike Rally this weekend has been canceled....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not changing one damn thing. This political/media virus will straighten up just like all the others. Hope to see you on the road and I will handshake... your option.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I heard today from a good source, an MD, that people age 60 and older, especially males, are at most risk for getting this virus. Of those that do the current trend predicts 50% will need hospitalization, 80% if diabetic, 90% for those with heart conditions. Being over 60 I was advised to self-quarantine until this virus subsides. I ride solo. If I pack a lunch, I can easily self-quarantine. The only potential exposure will occur when refueling.
During refueling, keep the full face helmet on and close the shield, use one of those special pen for the touchscreen or the standard keypad.
Keep your gloves on. Don't touch your face with the glove. Have something to disinfect your hand just in case.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Some truth and some BS here. Yes the Corona virus is like the flu, only 10x more contagious. The flu lives just minutes in the air, the Corona virus 3 hours. Corona virus can live on hard surfaces for 3 days. This is the reason for maintaining distance. It is much worse than the flu just for the likelihood of contagion.

I think the actions of limiting travel and large gatherings have truncated its effects in the US.

I know people in Europe (especially Italy) and the way they speak, you would think the Black Death is back.

Many of us on this site are in the age group where it is more important to not be in a position to get the virus.

But I agree with the advice. WASH YOUR HANDS! And use common sense when in crowded areas. I for one work too much, as does my wife. Neither of us has much contact with co-workers other than e-mail and telephone calls. By the time I get home, it is time to eat and go to bed. On the weekend, after we finish our housework, we take the GW out for a ride. I think I have self-isolated!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've seen people say "There's no vaccine for Corona like there is for the common flu so its more dangerous !! " When is the last time the news reported that people were dying because there is people that are not getting a flu shot ?
Wrong thinking.

This is a novel virus, Covid-19. No one has had it before so no one has any immunity to it. The common flu may make you sick but most people have some exposure to it or one of the viruses in it's particular family so you have some level of immunity even without a flu shot and so we don't get too sick and can recover at home with time and OTC medicine. The really sick with flu go to the hospital and get one of the 45,000 ICU beds in the USA to recover in. Ventilator perhaps, and certainly some treatments and medicine while in the hospital.

If in two weeks, the week of March 30th to April 4th, if 100,000 or more people need one of those 45,000 beds then some doctor decides if you or a loved one is worth saving or to give the bed, ventilator and medicine to someone else. That is how different Covid-19 is from the flu. Sobering.

Let those that have ears hear. (It's biblical)

This is important to know, we have to take action TODAY to save lives in a few weeks. This guy goes as far to say it's a Pearl Harbor moment for Americans. Overblown? I honestly hope not.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
I plan on riding down the Blue Ridge and into the Smokies in mid June...hopefully things will be better...they just announced that they are closing restaurants, bars, movie theaters, and non essential businesses here in NJ til further notice...and they want you to stay in your home from 8pm til 5am..Im sure here in Delaware they will do the same.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Nope....Bike week ran the full 9 days and ended yesterday.
This was a really large gathering and so far I have not heard of a single case of someone testing positive or anybody getting sick that was involved. I know it is early yet but I think this will be a good test case. They did report on the news that a guy had gotten sick from the rally but the truth came out later that he never made it to Daytona.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts