GL1800Riders Forums banner

Will our new social practices continue in the future or fade away?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
For all of you thinking this is no big deal, read this, it is long and full of charts, graphs and science, explaining how this speads and how it can and has been contained in a couple of countries, (Japan is one). US, not so much but we are on the right track now thanks to some pro-active Governors.

Those of you poo pooing this, need to remove your head from the hole it is in and see the light.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
How many of you wash your hands BEFORE you go to the bathroom? Rethink that. Wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER. You know where your junk has been and what it has touched. You don't always know what your hands have touched.

·
Registered
511 Posts
This was a really large gathering and so far I have not heard of a single case of someone testing positive or anybody getting sick that was involved. I know it is early yet but I think this will be a good test case. They did report on the news that a guy had gotten sick from the rally but the truth came out later that he never made it to Daytona.
Seeing how a person can carry the virus for 14 days before showing symptoms it’s a little premature to claim victory. Of the thousands that were here it’s possible some were exposed to people not yet symptomatic. Now those visitors have gone back home as carriers. Then there were the visitors that were carriers and have exposed locals.

Four days ago Florida had 21 cases, two days ago 50 something cases. 8 hours ago the count is 192. 9 are in Volusia which had 2 cases a few days ago. 2 begets 4, 4 begets 8. In two days Volusia will have double that. And so on 16, 32, 64, 128........for a few months unless we wake up and isolate for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This reminds me of what happens when you take one penny, double it on day two, double that amount on day three, and so on every day for a month.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone cancelled their plans to attend Wing Ding?
As of right now I have not cancelled. However, I wondered if they would have as a contingency to move the date to Labor Day like they had last year. My guess would be no since I'm sure there are contracts involved

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My Road Trip isn't until July, so right now, the Plan is the Plan.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Simply watch what's going on in Italy now for a (small) example of what'll be happening in some regions of North America in a couple of weeks.

Pay close attention to the ages of those that are succumbing to this, then note the (probable...) age group of the cohort that rides this style of motorcycle.

:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have camping plans for next month and major MC trips planned for this summer so fingers crossed. For the most part it's common sense caution and the realization this is real and it's real bad. We have no real testing, we as a country were unprepared and are now in panic mode. Our guide in this is science and medical professionals defiantly not the ones we would normally turn to for leadership. I feel for all the independent small business owners who will be facing economic hard times for many months. Keep your stick on the ice, we are all in this together.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Fear is one thing but Facts are another thing. I'm not running around screaming "the sky is falling, everybody head to an underground bunker" but being 75 and a diabetic I'm definitely heeding the advice of the professionals for 2-3 weeks and see what they say then.
We all have to make our decisions within our comfort zone.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
50 to 100 million people died of H1N1 Spanish flu 1918-1919. Is there an over reaction to this flu now? I have to believe yes. But, that begs the question, what is the "proper" reaction?

For this flu, gestation can be as long as 2 weeks before symptoms indicate a problem. The highest period for possible contagious contact is after symptoms appear. But, it can remain active on surfaces for up to three days. It is easily transmitted via airborne particles sneezed or coughed, with 10 particles or less needed for infection. Or through secondary contact from touching surfaces then touching eyes, nose or mouth. Normal amount of particles in a cough range from 900 to 30,000. Much higher with sneezes.

However, the death rate in the US with current statistics is less then two percent, which may be exaggerated since many with the flu are not seriously ill and don't report. Young people seem more resistant to this flu. Older people and those with respiratory conditions are most at risk.

I am certainly more aware of where my hands have been. I wonder about take out restaurants and working staff. I don't know if I would be comfortable in hotel/motels when traveling. I watch what I touch, and wash my hands every time after contact of surfaces in public. Not sure where this will lead, but I do like the fact that the roads are less traveled and riding motorcycle seems to have no more risk than usual.

Time to go for a ride!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Simply watch what's going on in Italy now for a (small) example of what'll be happening in some regions of North America in a couple of weeks.

Pay close attention to the ages of those that are succumbing to this, then note the (probable...) age group of the cohort that rides this style of motorcycle.

:eek:
Not sure what source of information would provide the age group that is succumbing to the virus and what age group rides this motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Here:

Here:

Unfortunate, but many of the other, older polls done here on this forum no longer have their data associated with them - one of the artifacts from the move to the new software, I presume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I, not unlike many others, already have plans made for road trips this Spring...early May for me with two (2) other friends.
I keep waiting for the National Park Service to start closing certain parks. But then again, I see them as places where there is plenty of space for "social distancing" even among the most popular parks...Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, for example.
Barring any closures to our planned visits, I still plan on going even though I am considered "high risk" for contracting the contagen. My thinking is just as I described above....traveling on the bike is safe from contracing COVID 19. Hotel stays are probably OK considering it's clean and I practice good hygiene. And the tourist attractions would be safe as long as I can maintain the "social distance" and maintain good hygiene.
Is today's environment teaching us good practices for the "everyday" socializing in the future? Where it may have once been rude to not shake hands or cancel an engagement with friends due to less than 100% healthy standard, is that going to be acceptable in the future? Or, will this all fade away and we return to our everyday practices until another new virus introduces itself to the human race in the coming years?
What are your thoughts?
82025. Wow! I think that your plan to ride all over the country is a sad/bad idea. If you think about what the Center for Disease Control CDC) states as fact you should not do so. Why? Remember. You can carry the virus and not be sick or show symptoms. I for one, would not appreciate the spread of this disease to me just because you “probably” would be safe. What about the rest of us. I am 71 years aged. I am the top target. The worst that could happen to me is death. I think you are overlooking something. I care not if you decide to ride. If you get sick or die? Not my problem. but....if you spread this virus and you kill me? I think that says it all.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those of you not taking this pandemic seriously are being foolish and selfish. Foolish for allowing yourself the risk of getting infected. And selfish for having no concern about infecting others. It can take 7 days for symptoms to form after being infected during which time you could be infecting others.
Although 80,000 people died of the flu last year, this disease is more than 30 times deadlier than the flu. That means that 2.4 million people may die of this.
The problem with taking trips is that you have to eat. If you're OK with eating takeout the entire time, then fine.
Also, these lockdowns may come in waves until a vaccine is available in a year to 18 months from now.
So we need to learn to live with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I, not unlike many others, already have plans made for road trips this Spring...early May for me with two (2) other friends.
I keep waiting for the National Park Service to start closing certain parks. But then again, I see them as places where there is plenty of space for "social distancing" even among the most popular parks...Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, for example.
Barring any closures to our planned visits, I still plan on going even though I am considered "high risk" for contracting the contagen. My thinking is just as I described above....traveling on the bike is safe from contracing COVID 19. Hotel stays are probably OK considering it's clean and I practice good hygiene. And the tourist attractions would be safe as long as I can maintain the "social distance" and maintain good hygiene.
Is today's environment teaching us good practices for the "everyday" socializing in the future? Where it may have once been rude to not shake hands or cancel an engagement with friends due to less than 100% healthy standard, is that going to be acceptable in the future? Or, will this all fade away and we return to our everyday practices until another new virus introduces itself to the human race in the coming years?
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are your thoughts?
Wait no longer!
Last Monday 3-16-20 I got turned away from Monument Valley.....can you believe it!?!?!
I can't!!!! It's a 17 mile dirt road that you drive and see the monuments!!
I'm beside myself!
Then I want to Canyon DeChelly and it was closed too!
Sorry for the bad news
thanks to Covid-19

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in China when the s**t hit the fan there. Luckily I was smart enough to fly out on a Thailand airline from Beijing on Jan 28 to Thailand and then stay at a nice beach for the next 3 weeks in Phuket. Trust me.....it is going to get much worse than better with our social life. In the province that Wuhan was in...Hubei....all cities had roadblocks to turn people away or arrest them...as well as roadblocks going into the province. Wondering people were beat with clubs by police, and even some had their metal doors welded at apartments if they had several offenses. It might happen with the road blocks...after what I saw in China and if it happens, I do support it. At the rate it is going....hunker down for at least 2 more months...if not more. The hot spots need to be identified. It is strange....China had shortages of face masks but plenty of respirators!! When I arrived on Feb 16, no one checked me at the arrival airport for temperature after it was known that I was in China...only the simple question, "did I have a good flight"; at immigration check in.
I might get blasted...but......

1. We should not be calling out China on the cause, but trying to work with them on what they did to stop the spread, and research their results. so we can stop it here with known facts.
2. Wild animals......well I grew up on a farm where grandparents lived through the depression.....I have ate.....Squirrel, rabbit,deer, muskrat,snapping turtle, frog legs. This is common for my area!

IMHO, it is going to get much worse before getting better.....any trip in the next 2 months I would have alternate plans.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts