GL1800Riders Forums banner

Will our new social practices continue in the future or fade away?

• Total voters
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Wait no longer!
Last Monday 3-16-20 I got turned away from Monument Valley.....can you believe it!?!?!
I can't!!!! It's a 17 mile dirt road that you drive and see the monuments!!
I'm beside myself!
Then I want to Canyon DeChelly and it was closed too!
Sorry for the bad news
thanks to Covid-19
Get use to it folks I'm sure theirs more to follow. ;)

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Last Monday 3-16-20 I got turned away from Monument Valley.....can you believe it!?!?!
Then I want to Canyon DeChelly and it was closed too!
Commonality? Both are on sovereign Navajo tribal lands...even though Canyon de Chelly is a National Monument.

Their nation, their rules.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This really sucks! I had to lay off riding for 4 years due to a health issue. My wife noticed I kept watching touring videos and finally said "Your health is better now and you sure are watching a lot of videos about traveling; you need to buy another Goldwing!" I took her up on her suggestion and now this happens.

Here in Oregon the governor is thinking about enforcing the stay at home unless absolutely necessary policy since we are in between California and Washington which both have outbreaks. I have thousands of miles of roads here on the high desert so I'm hoping I can still roam around the wilderness without any issues from big brother. I'm looking forward to the day when all this is in the rear view mirror.

God bless you all.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, it does suck. I for one dont care to potentially catch it or contribute to possible spread. Time to do the other things that suck that I have been putting off.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019, 2020 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes, it does suck. I for one dont care to potentially catch it or contribute to possible spread. Time to do the other things that suck that I have been putting off.

Greg
2004 GL1800
I'm with you Greg. I've been cleaning out my office. I'm destroying paperwork from my business in 1998. I guess I've been putting it off a little longer than I should. Next project is my closet, will probably find some bell bottom jeans from the 70s.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yesterday it was the Big Reds' oil change, and brake pads all around and clean up the garage

Greg
2004 GL1800

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
This "three weeks" was a fib.

'Cause when the three weeks is close to expiring, those with the data will point to it and go "nope, still climbing - needs another three more weeks."

Come back at the end of the month and see if my premonition was accurate.

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
This "three weeks" was a fib.

'Cause when the three weeks is close to expiring, those with the data will point to it and go "nope, still climbing - needs another three more weeks."

I think most of us feel that way.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just seen this thread, honestly cannot believe there are people in the world literate enough to be able to type on an Internet forum who think this is no big deal. You think the scenes you're seeing in Italy and Spain are faked or something?

Yes, people die from flu. My grandfather died from flu turning into pneumonia. The difference between this and a normal flu season is that it will spread far more quickly, and especially so if we don't socially distance. So much so that it will totally overwhelm the numbers of critical care beds and ventilators available. Your chances of dying from pneumonia are far higher if there's no ventilator for you than if there is a ventilator for you. That's why this is a big deal... if we don't take extreme measures, critical cases will exceed the numbers of ventilators available to treat them. It's that simple. Maybe you thought there's a chance you may end up in hospital with pneumonia someday anyway, and you're right, there is. But did you imagine you'd end up lying on the floor in a hospital with pneumonia, with no ventilator for you?

FYI, according to the OECD, the US has fewer critical care beds per capita than Italy (the UK, where I live, even fewer), and about the same as Spain. Again, take a look at the scenes in Italy and Spain.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just returned from a 6-day mid-west ride where the C19 debacle is alive. FL had canceled its Rally and I decided to ride to the Ozarks Mountains.

I found it difficult to find somewhere to eat and being on a bike had its challenges. I was reduced to 1 meal per day. All the Rest Stops along I-40, I-882, I-59, and I-22 were closed along with a lot of weight stations. Some states were shutting down non-essential businesses and I was dining in a Waffle House in Russellville and the health dept in Arkansas threatened them with fines if they didn't stop serving. The Ozark Mnt Parkway was open and the ride was spectacular.

Right now, WingDing is still scheduled, but who knows...

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Kinda like a modern day Johnny Appleseed ain't cha?

I just returned from a 6-day mid-west ride where the C19 debacle is alive. FL had canceled its Rally and I decided to ride to the Ozarks Mountains.

I found it difficult to find somewhere to eat and being on a bike had its challenges. I was reduced to 1 meal per day. All the Rest Stops along I-40, I-882, I-59, and I-22 were closed along with a lot of weight stations. Some states were shutting down non-essential businesses and I was dining in a Waffle House in Russellville and the health dept in Arkansas threatened them with fines if they didn't stop serving. The Ozark Mnt Parkway was open and the ride was spectacular.

Right now, WingDing is still scheduled, but who knows...

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Close enough.

Chief medical officer of ¡Arizona! reports the middle-to-end of April will be when the peak hits here. :cry:

Look at it this way...when you live thru this...and, more importantly, when our kids and grand-kids live thru it, they will have something to tell future generations about!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
GWRRA...

Update regarding COVID-19
The health and well being of our members and employees is our top priority. Considering how far out Wing Ding 42 is slated (June 30 – July 4), we are still planning to proceed as scheduled and hope to see you all there!

As this is a fluid situation, we are monitoring the updates from the state and county health departments and the CDC as well as working with our contacts in Springfield to ensure the event can go on as scheduled with their venues, hotels, etc. If there are any changes or updates, we will post them here.

For now, we look forward to having a great event and seeing you all there!

Thank you,
Gold Wing Road Riders Association

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This is a further update for those considering attending WD 2020 in Springfield the end of June......

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to GWRRA. We are working directly with the city and are evaluating the current situation and a decision will be made in May. The decision, whatever it may be, will be announced and published and posted for all to see. The plan would be to offer the option to apply to a future event such as Wing Ding in 2021, assuming it's canceled. Keep in mind that 2021 would be a different location since contracts are signed. The location for 2021 would be announced at this point for those to be able to make a decision. If that option does not work out, full refunds can be done as well. I do hope the event goes on as planned. We shall see how it goes. Take care and be safe!

GWRRA values its members, and we always like hearing from you. Your communication is very important to us. In this way we can attain our ultimate goal to provide you with the service you deserve. Please feel free to contact us at anytime.
"Building Relationships"
Come visit us at Wing Ding 42 June 30 - July 4, 2020 in Springfield, Missouri

61 - 76 of 76 Posts