GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After testing the danged bank-angle sensor about 4 times today in the parking lot while trying some of the MSF/GWTA/etc parking lot practice, I need to know before I go crazy:

90 degrees stop turns without dropping the bike - is it a secret trick or it's just a thing that you learn with age and miles?
(The 90 degree stop turn is where you try to make a 90 degree (handle bars locked/amost locked to either side) turn from a stopped position in (one width of a parking spot, from one end and try to get vertical before you exit the spot).)

I can turn the bike in about two and a half to three parking spots, but dropping the bike in stop turns just kills me.

So... inquisitive minds want to know - how do you stop the cow tipping :)

Oh, and before I forget - thank you Honda for the crash bars!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
In the 90 deg turn, in the Advanced class, the instruction was to straighten the handle bars before trying to stop. Don't try to stop quickly with the handlebars severly cranked.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is...

I'm having problems right as I start. With the handlebars locked, the bike leans too much as it starts the turn, and I don't have yet enough speed for it to stabilize itself.

In all but one case it hasn't moved more than 2-3 feet. In the other case, I must have not payed attention since I dropped when stopped.
The thing is heavy - if it decides to go down there's no stopping it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have found, if I lean my body back just a tad and hang loose on the handle bars I can do scary locked turns from a dead stop. Im working at keeping my feet on the pegs during the turn, but am finding that need them off for a little counter balance.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
As the bike starts to fall into the turn, give it a little gas and it will NOT fall.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
KA7W has it right, keep the power on, look where you want to go, the bike wants to straighten up, keep the power on.

if you continue to struggle, try 2nd gear.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
feather the clutch, look where you want to go, feet on pegs a quick as you can, lean or slide you butt off the opposite side...use the rear brake to control bike...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you're all right. It's all of them done right at the same time. So maybe it's experience. I still have a chance! :)

I also felt like I was anticipating too much or something.

I would straigthen the bike, turn the bars, looked where I wanted to go, eased on the clutch, easy now, started to move... then k-plash... in an instant it goes over while I'm still wondering ... huh what the heck happened?! :roll:

What nags me, since I really like to go back and over-analyze things, it's that it happens so fast I can't figure out what exactly was I doing wrong.

I guess it's more parking lot practice for me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hook up with someone in your area, perhaps a MSF instructor, have them coach you. Buy them a drink afterwards. Practice, practice.

Borrow a Jerry Paladino video.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
KYBLUE said:
feather the clutch, look where you want to go, feet on pegs a quick as you can, lean or slide you butt off the opposite side...use the rear brake to control bike...
ditto

·
Registered
66 Posts
Philipx,

What size rear tire are you using? The size of the tire might not have one thing to do with this at all, but I dropped my twice in one week :oops: while attempting the same maneuver after switching to the 70 series.

I had never dropped the bike before, and was totally surprised. My bike sits higher and, it seems to me, to tip over more readily with the 70 series tire and Traxxion springs in the forks.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Another good tip is to get some lengths of heater hose and slit them up the middle and attach to the crash bars with Wire Ties. Now when it is dropped it won't scratch.

Good luck with your practice!

·
Registered
348 Posts
One more suggestion... set your suspension to its lowest setting to lower your center of gravity.

·
Registered
464 Posts
philipx said:
I think you're all right. It's all of them done right at the same time. So maybe it's experience. I still have a chance! :)

I also felt like I was anticipating too much or something.

I would straigthen the bike, turn the bars, looked where I wanted to go, eased on the clutch, easy now, started to move... then k-plash... in an instant it goes over while I'm still wondering ... huh what the heck happened?! :roll:

What nags me, since I really like to go back and over-analyze things, it's that it happens so fast I can't figure out what exactly was I doing wrong.

I guess it's more parking lot practice for me.
Sounds like you missing a little bit of throttle. Like said, try a little practice in second gear until you get the hang of it. Don't get to hooked on second gear starts cause your still gonna need to start out in first most of the time. Don't beat yourself to death with to much practice. Sometimes you get in a rut and the only way out is time out. :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now let me clarify I'm NOT an expert in this, but want to relate my own personal experience on this.....

Keep your throttle up to at LEAST 1000 rpm, and use the clutch to scrub off speed. If you need to scrub off more, use the rear brake, but DO NOT use the throttle to slow down! As sensitive as the throttle is, it's difficult to keep it smooth when you just need to slow just a little, or move just a tad faster to keep it up.

While watching our local PD demonstrate during the class, that was the trick they used. You will find the friction zone with your clutch, and learning how to control your speed with the friction zone in the clutch makes all the difference in the world.

Again, I'm not an expert, but with practice, hope to get much better. I know that's what works for me!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Use the friction zone, turn your head, and weight the outside peg. Sign up for a MSF Experienced Rider Course.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Phil, please excuse me, but I do not understand what you are describing. :roll: :oops: I completed the ERC back in May when I still had my VTX and do not remember attempting to execute the turn you explained. Someone please help clarify for me. :?

One thing I do practice with regularity in parking lots (when I can find one empty) is to ride through back to back parking spaces, make a U-turn left (or right) into the second parking space (not the space next to the one in which you start). I weave my way in and out of the parking spaces, left, then right, making U-turns at slow speed. I try to stay to the far side of the space away from the direction I am turning

For example, if I am going to do a left U-turn, I stay to the right of the parking space before making the turn. If I am going to make a U-turn to the right, I stay to the left of the space as I ride through it. Remember to turn the head/eyes as far toward the side to which you are turning by looking over your shoulder.

When I first started practing the U-turns I was riding my VTX 1300. I could only turn into the fourth space over to the left of right. Eventually I was able to turn into the second space over. When I bought the Wing about two months ago and began practicing the U-turns, I could only turn into the third space over but am now able to do every other one.

Feathering the clutch and the throttle and keeping a little pressure on the BACK brake helps. Again, turning the head in the direction of the turn is a must. Most of the time I can make the U-turns w/o using the brake, in first or second gear.

I find that this practice is extremely helpful in gaining confidence handling the Wing (or bike) at low speeds like in a parking lot.

Hope this helps. BTW, as a reminder, someone please clarify the 90 degree turn that was the topic of this thread. Thanks. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Why would someone want to do this? When would it come in handy?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts