GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A bit of an involved, multi-part question.

I have a 2006 Basic GL1800 (IIIA)

I am the 3rd owner, and I KNOW the first owner (who I do not know) mucked about quite a bit....cut turn signal cancel pin, etc..so not discounting that widespread vandalism may have been done.

The first owner had installed PIAA lights just below the windshield fairing, and they were OK, but burned out and bulbs no longer available. I removed the fixtures and left all wiring he (she?) installed intact.

I have decided to install EC High Intensity Cowl LED lights, and have them on order.

Starting to do my pre-homework, I removed lower cowl, and found the connectors for the cowl lights. Having removed the upper shelter and such, there is ZERO, NIL, NADA trace of C12, which is where one is supposed to hookup the illuminated switch that EC supplies.

I have the 2006 shop manual, and cannot even find the big connector bundle which is supposed to contain C-12, and a bunch of other connectors (photo 29 in my shop manual). It does say that C12 is OPTIONAL..... so...here are questions:

1) Do you know if C12 is in the wiring harness for a 2006 IIIA model?

2) If not, am confused as to why the connectors for the lights themselves would be present (OK, that is not a question).

I have a good electronic engineering / technician background, and if the answer is "no", then I simply plan on extending the old fixture connectors from PIAA down into the cowl and hookup the LED lights there...the current draw is certainly lower....but in doing that I will (without trying to dig through the PO's rats nest of wiring) give up the ability to have the cowl lights dim when brights are applied..which is OK with me...

So, the question is, #1...does the 2006 IIIA have C12 in the bundle normally?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Sorry ... I don't have a Service Manual handy, and am not able to see photo 29 to see C12. However, if you are talking about the 4-pin connector that should be in a single large black boot that resides behind the left radiator, next to the frame rail, that is there for a fog lamp switch, then the answer is yes. The connector for the fog lamp switch should be there. I've never seen any 5th gen Wing from 2001-17 that did not have one.

Is the shelter off for a thorough look ???
Is the Wing in question intended to be used in the USA ???

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry ... I don't have a Service Manual handy, and am not able to see photo 29 to see C12. However, if you are talking about the 4-pin connector that should be in a single large black boot that resides behind the left radiator, next to the frame rail, that is there for a fog lamp switch, then the answer is yes. The connector for the fog lamp switch should be there. I've never seen any 5th gen Wing from 2001-17 that did not have one.

Yep, USA model. Yep, 4 pin, connects to Switch. Don't see it all. Based on the photo, of a frame with a label, expect it to be near the center part of frame where the model info is. Are you saying it is much more to the left very near the radiator? Will take a look there.

Shelter off, will advise after I take another look nearer the left radiator....

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, USA model. Yep, 4 pin, connects to Switch. Don't see it all. Based on the photo, of a frame with a label, expect it to be near the center part of frame where the model info is. Are you saying it is much more to the left very near the radiator? Will take a look there.

Shelter off, will advise after I take another look nearer the left radiator....

Thanks!
I looked further to left, found a big black boot, had 2 connectors, identified as C35 3 pin Aux in (Natural color) and C36 RED color 3 pin (2 wires)

Beginning to suspect that PO has done something evil.....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

12th time's a charm! Sometimes all you need is the assurance of a guru that something MUST be there. Took another look at a rubber boot I had examined multiple times before, and found the 4 pin black connector WAY up inside.

I think part of my problem was knowing of the PO's other "butchery", I pre-supposed that it had been removed or appropriated for other purposes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C12 Location Pic

Based on the comment from cihilb...here is a photo of where I found the elusive C12...may be of help to someone else someday..

Attachments

Reactions: techdude2000

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yup, that is where I found mine on my 2013.

Reactions: techdude2000
1 - 9 of 9 Posts