GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While unbolting the rear section of the front fender,one of the fender tabs just crumbled apart into three little peices...I did a search here on the forum,and found alot of people have made this repair by using ABS cement.The only cement I could find for ABS was a multi purpose cement Oatley brand used for CPVC,PVC,as well as the ABS...This cement didn't work for me??? Seems that this product would not fuse the peices together,after drying the parts just fell apart???
So I am wondering which ABS(brand) cement you used or what other bonding adhesive you used with sucess??? TIA

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
There is some stuff called Rigid Plastic Repair that may work, or you may have tobuild up some thickness for strength with MarineTex.

Alternately, find someone with a plastic welder.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
This cracking problem is so common that I always rough up the area and use JB weld epoxy to strengthen it. Haven't had one break since the epoxy treatment.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
While unbolting the rear section of the front fender,one of the fender tabs just crumbled apart into three little peices...I did a search here on the forum,and found alot of people have made this repair by using ABS cement.The only cement I could find for ABS was a multi purpose cement Oatley brand used for CPVC,PVC,as well as the ABS...This cement didn't work for me??? Seems that this product would not fuse the peices together,after drying the parts just fell apart???
So I am wondering which ABS(brand) cement you used or what other bonding adhesive you used with sucess??? TIA
Kevin.Could you post a picture of the broken tab?

I have used this stuff and believe me it is very hard to crack or break.
I get it at ACE hardware store.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
After you get the broken tap glued back on you might want to reinforce the fender. I reinforced mine using truck bed liner. I painted the whole underside of the fender making it about a 1/16 of a inch thick........ thicker around the mounting bosses. What you are doing is creating another fender with the truck bed liner that is bonded to the OEM fender. It won't crack after it's reinforced.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Boy, you guys have different stuff in the South, here in Canada ABS glue is yellow.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
It's a problem that has been ongoing! Do you use a extender? Mine was covered under warranty. Some don't get the warranty coverage, I guess I was lucky. I did get documented with Mother Honda that alignment while installing the new one was off, measurements were taken with nothing found wrong. Oh well, I'm covered if it cracks again! Try to get covered by posting a poll to see how many have experienced this and print results then take to dealer. Your dealer can help you if you have proof!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW!! What a great board and great members!...I want to thank everyone for posting their experiences and fixes to these cracked fender tabs,as well as products used to repair these tabs...

I have been looking for days trying to find the black ABS cement without any luck?? Also looked for the JB Weld for plastic came up empty handed??...I hunted for these products @ Lowes,Home Depot,Walmart,O'Reilly,Auto Zone???? Seems like in my area these stores aren't stocking much "product selection"???
I didn't get a chance to read this post before I picked up another product at Lowes Loctite plastix bonder,on the way home

Rocky I saw the Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy at Lowes and wondered about that product,the employee steered me into buying the LOCTITE Plastix Bonder which takes 20 min. to set up and 24 hours for a full cure...How long does the Devcon set up and fully cured??? I may take this LOCTITE back???

Here are some pics. of my damaged fender tab

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know what happened I wasn't done posting must have hit the wrong button :shrug: Any way here are the rest of the pics. of the rear section of my front fender
Rodie that looks like that would really beef up that plastic fender :thumbup:

Thanks again for all of the helpful input

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I just wanted to Thank everyone for the great responses and advice which proved very helpful :thumbup:

I ended up finding the black ABS cement @ Lowes well hidden in the plumbing section :lol: Thanks for the tip AlabamaWing :thumbup: also used the Devcon Plastic steel epoxy great advice Rocky :thumbup:

I took the three little pieces what was left of my left rear tab,used the ABS cement to glue these littles pieces back to my fender...After allowing the ABS to throughly cured,I used the devcon epoxy to build up the inside of the tabs after sanding and roughing up the surface...I took good ol' gray duct tape,taped on the inside of the fender to create a damn to keep the plastic epoxy from running down inside the fender away from the fender tabs...Then mixed and layed the plastic epoxy level with the fender bolts on the inside of the tab...Seems like this really made the tabs stronger then factory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts