GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a warning to any of you folks that have cracked front fenders (from FFE or otherwise) and have been procrastinating about fixing them or getting them replaced.
Mine cracked last spring after mounting an FFE and I've just not gotten around to getting it replaced under warranty ... and kept thinking about it whenever I went for a ride and heard the noise from the front end .... but kept forgetting when I was at the phone...
Anyway, while remounting the front cowling this afternoon I was noticing how bad the crack was now .... and then noticed that I now have additional damage because of my laggardliness .... now the caliper cover on the opposite side is also cracked!
So ... if you're putting off fixing it ... don't! :(

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Pete,

I just finished an inspection today. Looks like I got away clean so far. I will be pulling the complete fender assembly apart this weekend to start the fender reinforcement install, from Bushtech.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Per Honda and the Dealer cracked or broken fenders are limited to a 45 day Cosmetic Warranty and won't be covered past that time.
Just more $#it from Ma Honda.

Jerry

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jerry Roebke said:
Per Honda and the Dealer cracked or broken fenders are limited to a 45 day Cosmetic Warranty and won't be covered past that time.
Just more $#it from Ma Honda.

Jerry
That's horsehockey because I got a new front fender just a few months ago and my bike will be 3 years old in February. Its all up to your dealer. And I doubt if my dealer paid for it themselves since I didn't buy the bike from them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so ... I finally decided that I'd better get busy fixing the front fender so that everything was ready when I could do some serious riding again ... so today, I washed the bike, and then disassembled the front fender so I could take in the pieces and have them replaced.
That crack on the opposite side caliper cover? Well, I went for a ride on New Years Day ... and now I see the crack actually became a missing chunk. The attached pics will show you what damage can happen if you hold off as long as I did. The fender is completely toast ... cracked on the bottom on one side and the top on the other side. The caliper cover has a chunk missing ... which disappeared with the screw so I'll need to replace that too.

That's the left side, note the crack and the missing tabs.

A little better view of the left side (top) crack.

That's the right side of the fender.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've had this thought for awhile and I'm going to stay away from the front fender extension completely. You guys are having way to many problems with them in my opinion. Sorry for your grief Pete ! I think riding is done for awhile, the temp is about to drop big time. I see they are predicting high's in the lower teens going down to 9 or 10. Gee's I hate it when it gets that dam cold ! :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Jerry,
You need to find a more agreeable dealer. Got my fender and caliper replaced under warranty, and I didn't even buy the bike from him.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
That is how Holly's looked when I took it off. You would think that Honda would have made a correction to fix this by now.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
us folks on the outside lookin in think that way.... ;)

BlueWing said:
That is how Holly's looked when I took it off. You would think that Honda would have made a correction to fix this by now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts