GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 2400 mile trip into Mexico and found out my front fender on both sides were broke off. I have a Bushtec ffe on it without the reinforement (got before were avaiable) talked to John at Bushtec and he said it should be a warranty issue stopped b dealer today and said honda was not having any problems with them I know better based on this board So my question what has anybody been doing to get this covered by warranty though a dealer network that may not think it is a problem?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Per my Dealer, APEX in Colo Spgs, and Honda the Plastic is only covered by a 45 Day Cosmetic Warranty.

No Coverage for Broken Fenders, or much else unless the NHTSA gets involved that is.

What a great Warranty we have, eh. :?

Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 01 wing, with broken (F) fender, and from the accumulation of dirt in the cracks in the tupper ware I would think it sure happened a long time ago. I found it while changing fork tube oil...20,000 Mi.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Jerry Roebke said:
Per my Dealer, APEX in Colo Spgs, and Honda the Plastic is only covered by a 45 Day Cosmetic Warranty.

No Coverage for Broken Fenders, or much else unless the NHTSA gets involved that is.

What a great Warranty we have, eh. :?

Jerry
Your dealer is making an ARBITRARY decision since the warranty on a GL1800 is 36 months, unlimited mileage. Some dealers frequently do this to avoid performing repair labor that pays significantly less than customer pay labor. Make your dealer show you, in the warranty, where it says 45 days on plastic! He can't and won't, since it does not exist. Unless you force the issue, up the service chain, the dealer wins. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Much easier said than done John. I have been there before with Honda (Dis)Service all of whom have stated that they arn't allowed to get involved in Warranty Issues or contact the area Service Reps for customers. See my long term fiasco over High Fuel Pressure and a deffective Vacuum Controlled Fuel Pressure Regulator that Honda Tech Line refused to replace for a classic example of Honda Customer Service as reported in WingWorld.

BTW the Dealer, APEX in Colo Spgs, doesn't give out the Honda Warranty Booklets and their Sales People tell me they have never seen one in all the years they have worked there, some for over 20 years. They don't have copies of the Warranty, I've asked several times and simply get a null responce.

In my case I simply bought a new fender and the chrome side pieces from Hal. I included one of your FFE's with the metal reinforcements. Why keep PI$$'n in the wind with Honda, It just isn't worth the aggravation.

Jerry, an origional Wing Rider from the first shipment in '75.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Crazy glue is suppose to work(not sure) but ABS pipe glue from loews, home depot or local hardware store does work and fast. Hold together for about a minute. Can even build up out layers by globbing on. Or E/C sells a plastic bonding glue. Worth the $5 attempt !

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jerry,

I agree with you on everything most of the time. Yes it is easier to bite the bullet and buy the part and replace it yourself.

But then, you have done nothing to cause the dealer and then Honda to honor the agreement that we paid for. The Warranty is not a gift from Honda, but rather a paid contract by the buyer to the seller.

I have made it my life long promise, to make Honda stand up and do what is right. I will not let anything slip, because of the way they treated me on the overheat.

If we don't turn it in and make Honda pay, they will not know that there is a problem, and correct it for the new purchasers down the road.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Hi there Bulldog.

I'll simply just vote with my $$$$ in the future and you can bet it won't go toward any more Honda M/C's or auto's for that matter.

Honda's M/C division just isn't hungry enough to really care what the customers think about their service and it shows.

On the other hand there are others out there like Triumph. I'm not sure when Triumph will dip the Rocket III in plastic but the rep insists that it is in the works for the touring market in the near future. When they do I'll give them a try, at least Triumph uses current technology like programable ECM's that have a Test Port for attachment to a Laptop to perform trouble diagnostics and system software updates. Then there is the "Hungry for Customers" factor. There many not be many Triumph Dealers yet but all of those I have run across, except for the multi-metric-&-jap ones, really want the business and go out of their way to keep their customers satisified in order to build future business.

See my statement about the Dealer not having any copies of the Honda Warranty. There is a reason for that - They just don't want to deal with it - and Honda is aware that the Dealership doesn't have any Warranty Booklets to give out with new bikes. Still no Warranty info at the Dealer level and it is hard to discuss the issue with them when there isn't anything in writing to work with.

As Gary Smith, the "retired" Honda Insider, keeps pointing out Honda doesn't want to get involved with their Dealerships and the totaly hands off attitude shows up with poor or non service from both Dealerships and Honda support groups.

Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts