GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a dilema and wondering how many have had the same problem and how you handled it. I have about a 2-inch crack towards the top of my rear fender for the front tire. The fender has a Bushtec extension on it (probably caused it). Bushtec sent me the kit to stabilize. I don't know how hard it is to install - but the directions do call for tapping holes which I'm not too exited about. Here are my questions:
1. If I install the bushtec kit, do you think it will stop it from cracking any further?
2. For those of you that have installed the Bushtec stabilize kit, how hard is it?
3. Or, is it time for a new fender. $363 for Illusion Blue - ouuuuuch?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I installed mine when they first became available. I had to purchase a tap as I didn't have the correct size. The tap is used to extent the threads 1/16" in a already threaded hole, so a bolt can go in the backside.
The entire process is fairly easy if you can follow directions.

:yw1:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Try the E/c glue, and maybe some kind of nylon webbing? to reinforce it. Can only get worse, but if it works, you save $$. Like stated, the tapping is only a matter of tapping the last one or two threads in the existing bushing. Just hold it with pliers when tapping to take the twisting stress off. Just did mine.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Same happened to mine, I also had the FFE installed. I believe it's a design flaw so I took mine back to my dealer and argued this point. Honda offers a FFE as an accessory and my point was that the crack would've happened regardless of which FFE was installed. They replaced mine under warrantee. I plan to reinstall the FFE along with the brace kit when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Same thing happened to my bike except the crack wasn't as long. I was all set to order a new front fender part B when I read on this board a post from John of Bushtec to have my dealer replace it. I took the part to my parts manager and no questions asked, ordered a new one. A week later I installed the FFE and the brace and new fender back on the bike. If your bike is under warranty, have your dealer order a new one. If they are any kind of a decent dealership, they will warranty it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.