GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 99 Boss Hoss and up until 2002 some of the Boss Hoss frames would develop a crack in the neck of the frame and would cause the bike to wobble at high speeds. Now we are talking about a 1200 lb motorcycle getting out of control at high speeds :shock: I must say that bothers me and this is a bike that cost over 36K for the plain Jane version. But you know what, I am even more worried about a flat front tire than a cracked frame. I think the likelihood of that is much greater for all of us.

I guess what I'm saying is anything on two wheels are dangerous but most of us except that risk because we get so much enjoyment out of riding. I'm not making excuses for Honda or Boss Hoss but I know there is a potential for a problem and I am willing to take that risk. When you are not that is when you should sell your bike.

Now what I would really like to see is a tire that never went flat. ;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Another Amen, Brother LaMonster! :clap2:

Also.....COOL PIC!!!!!

Pat H

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that we all accept the risks of riding bikes. I Have been riding since the late 60's. What I do not agree with is taking that same risk with a bike that you KNOW has a faulty frame. This is even worse when you take your wife or other loved one on that same faulty bike and subject them to that risk. Let's get serious here. If a company puts out a product charges, anywhwre from $17,000 and up $35,000, in your case , that company should taken to task. Then on top of all that this same company is holding back production of the supposedly improved 2004 year model because it wants to sell it's remaining 2003 models. I have been riding Honda's since 1975 ( CB750 ), but I'm beginning to have doubts. I will NOT accept the risks of riding a bike with cracks in the frame. Honda should be held responsible for their cost saving mistakes. Come on guy's these bikes are anything but cheap.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
I agree with ya Lamont, it's a good idea to be cautious but after reading some of the posts it's hard to believe they actually choose to ride motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I agree with you Lamont. I have to say I like the picture. So when can I "borrow" da HOSS. :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I made a similar comparison on "the other gl1800 board" last year, and got flamed to a crisp! While the frame is a serious concern, the chances of a tire blowing out and causing a crash are more likely than the bike breaking in half without warning. Even with the agreement that riding a motorcycle involves risk, I don't think the frame causing a crash adds significantly to that risk. Before going on a ride, most of us take a moment to check the tires. While I'm at it, I'll take a quick look at the frame too.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You guys need to hit the return key after your
type goes out several inches. You may hate it
at first, but it will become habit.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G1NOMAD said:
You guys need to hit the return key after your
type goes out several inches. You may hate it
at first, but it will become habit.
That was my fault. The BIG picture caused that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Frame Cracks

Lucky,

The reason you got flamed before is that your post was too logical and calm. It is amazing to me that even when faced with a very small number of frame cracks and two or three failures, some will conclude that all the frames are "faulty" and will not ride. I will not go into a long statement that rehashes the frame recall and will no doubt get my share of flames on this, but you are correct in that the chances of having an accident related flat tire is more likely than one realted to a frame failure. It's old history but, no one has had a accident or injury related to any frame defect and the frame recall has been pretty sucessful, according to the majority of those in it. This frame issue keeps coming back and new people join the board and the thing starts all over again.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Lamont,
I agree that tire failure is a much greater risk than a broken frame.
They could make a solid tire but the ride would be terrible. Pneumatic
tires are a compromise. The idea is to reduce the risk when possible.

Frame safety should never be compromised. When the original frame
problem started many wanted to blame the problem on potholes, fat riders,
speed bumps or anything other than the manufacture process.
Some are now saying the same things. As I have said before, You can overload
the bike or hit something but if you don't have external damage the frame
shouldn't have damage. JMHO

·
Registered
45 Posts
Response to frames or flats?

Lamont is correct. I worry more about the MC tires than I worry about the frame. I have over 36000 miles on my 02 GL1800ABS and have taken many trips 2 up, hitting potholes on the turnpikes etc. with alot of weight on the bike. The more I ride it, the more confidence I have in the frame and the less confidence I have in the tires as the miles add up.

I believe my frame is ok. If it were going to crack or let go, it would
have long before 36000 mile marker.

I am a little tired of some of the members of this board complaining. I bought the bike to enjoy it. Not to be constantly reminded of flaws or potential flaws.

Please don't assume most of the gl1800 have bad frames. I do not
know the stats, but I have observed that most the bikes have good frames and that it is a very small % of consumers that are doing all the complaining on this board. Sincerely Sadlsore. :a13:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Response to frames or flats?

Lamont is correct. I worry more about the MC tires than I worry about the frame. I have over 36000 miles on my 02 GL1800ABS and have taken many trips 2 up, hitting potholes on the turnpikes etc. with alot of weight on the bike. The more I ride it, the more confidence I have in the frame and the less confidence I have in the tires as the miles add up.

I believe my frame is ok. If it were going to crack or let go, it would
have long before 36000 mile marker.

I am a little tired of some of the members of this board complaining. I bought the bike to enjoy it. Not to be constantly reminded of flaws or potential flaws.

Please don't assume most of the gl1800 have bad frames. I do not
know the stats, but I have observed that most the bikes have good frames and that it is a very small % of consumers that are doing all the complaining on this board. Sincerely Sadlsore. :a13:

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
The chances of getting a flat tire on a bike has always been a concern. Yet chances are that you will get a flat tire, crash & burn, before you have a frame break.

What I would like to say is, that a frame break shouldn't even be in the back of a riders mind! That's something that's never been a concern for me until the 1800. :cry: Should we just except the idea that the 1800 frame has it's weak spots? I don't think so!

I'm not flaming anyone, but it's just a sad fact that the 1800 is a POS, quality wise, compared to Wings of the past! :( What is even worse, the 1800 is still the best touring bike on the market, even with it's warts and defects!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Faulty frames ( I ) recall...

Since there is without a doubt some problems with the GL 1800 frame, it remains to be seen how many are affected. If the numbers are significant I believe Honda will have to follow the example that Triumph set when they RECALLED ALL the frames on a recent run of Daytona models. This was the RIGHT THING TO DO, and from a much smaller company than Honda... I am sure that Honda will do what is necessary to maintain buyer confidence. I sure hope so since I dropped by my local Honda/Harley dealer this PM and inquired ( out of curiosity ), what the trade value of my 03 ABS GL1800 might be... :cry: Blue book is $15,500 Can. ONLY a $12,000 drop from what I paid last June. HOWEVER he said that because of all the concerns about the frame integrity he would have to knock off $2,500 :evil: .
So guess what, I'm riding my Wing till the wheels fall off. Or I do. I love the damn thing, warts and all, and Honda better take care of the lost value by DOING THE RIGHT THING !!!
Jim W. Black 03 ABS

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I think if does become necessary for Honda to replace the frames because of this latest crack issue Honda would most likely make up new frames with thicker, stronger heavier frame tubes in the affected area.

I know this might be a silly question but can Honda afford to replace all the 01 to 04 GL1800 frames if they had to? Could you imagine the nightmare the dealers would have if they had to replace every frame of every GL1800 they have sold.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have yet to read a post or write up anywhere about the frame crack or ecm causing someone to crash. YES, it is poor quality management by HONDA, YES these things should have been fixed before they sold a new bike after becomming aware of the problems. But you can always look back and say should have or if only. The fact is I really love my wing and would not trade it for any other bike on the market. Until I hear of a defect that actually caused someone to go down, I will not worry about it and in fact have put over 8,000 mile on mine since I bought it last July and will probably double that before it first year.

This board is starting to sound like a bunch of old ladies at a quilting bee!

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Re: Faulty frames ( I ) recall...

jkwinchester said:
So guess what, I'm riding my Wing till the wheels fall off.
Winchester....You might make some folks nervous with a statement like that! It sounds like we have a better chance of the rear wheel falling off first! LOL.... :D

Sorry....Couldn't resist!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea, I hear ya Red, gives new meaning to the back of a T-shirt I saw once, "If you can read this
the bitch fell off" He was of course riding another
marque that also begins with 'H'. I assumed he, or at the
very least, she, had a sense of humor :D
Jim W.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree

I agree with all of the opions on this board and a frame problem does not bother me near as bad as the resale thing. A goldwing is a awful expensive motorcycle and if they turn into the plague due to this problem it would be a shame. It is hard enough to finally be able to afford one them all of a sudden it is worth substantialy less. I am in the auto business and if some one brings in a branded title vehicle and it was repaired properly $2500.00 would be a awful large discount for that. I have my wing in getting welded up right now. I called my local dealer today and he said that he had not heard of the new cracks yet but he would call MH :phone2: he also said that honda could possibly get by cheaper by replacing frames. He said the amount of labor and the special welding that they are doing is very labor intensive and they have to remove a lot of the tupperware and the ECM so as not to fry it when welding. I have personally know my local dealer for most of my life he is runnin g a secound generation honda store and he is honest as the day is long, he hates what has happend with the wings and is doing everything he can to assit he even came to my home and picked my bike up and will deliver it back. 80 degrees in SD today and where is my bike :weeping: thanx for all of your suggestions Great board

1 - 20 of 34 Posts