GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I think you would do better with standard maintenance ramps for a trike. While that lift works well for the standard GL1800, it's a little wobly for me with a trike up there. You can probably get a set for less than the cheap lift.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
For $90 you get: Red

Jack has 1500 lb. load capacity and a 5- in clearance. Includes a fast action foot pump for easy lifting as well as a 3 position locking mechanism for positive locking at 3 lift heights at 11-3/4 in. 14-1/4 in. and 16-1/2 in. Also features precision controlled foot release for smooth lowering and T-handle for added control. Includes 2 ratcheting tie-down straps and adjustable locking screws and wheels to increase stability. The jack can also be used as a dolly. Makes a good addition to any shop or garage.

For $170 you get:

Lightweight aluminum construction- weights only 44 lbs.; Low profile 3-1/2 inch clearance extends up to 19 (with Adapter Bars). Ideal for oil changes, tune-ups, clean-ups and more. Can be used as a dolly to move vehicle to convenient location for work or storage. Four position locking mechanism engages at 7, 11, 13-3/4, and 15. Rubber padded saddles resist vehicle slipping.

What is important for you? Remember, you can also get a air actuated platform for a few hundred more. Its only money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rastoff said:
I think you would do better with standard maintenance ramps for a trike. While that lift works well for the standard GL1800, it's a little wobly for me with a trike up there. You can probably get a set for less than the cheap lift.
I agree about the ramps and I do use them, but ramps wont let me lift the front wheel for inspecting/cleaning the tire.

IR Harry said:
For $90 you get:
Jack has 1500 lb. load capacity
A 5- in clearance.
Includes a fast action foot pump for easy lifting as well
3 position locking mechanism
3 lift heights at 11-3/4 in. 14-1/4 in. and 16-1/2 in.
Also features precision controlled foot release for smooth lowering
T-handle for added control
Includes 2 ratcheting tie-down straps and adjustable locking screws
Wheels to increase stability.
The jack can also be used as a dolly.

For $170 you get:
  • Lightweight aluminum construction- weights only 44 lbs.
    Low profile 3-1/2 inch clearance
    Extends up to 19 (with Adapter Bars).
    Ideal for oil changes, tune-ups, clean-ups and more.
    Can be used as a dolly
    Four position locking mechanism engages at 7, 11, 13-3/4, and 15. Rubber padded saddles resist vehicle slipping.

What is important for you? Remember, you can also get a air actuated platform for a few hundred more. Its only money.
I thought of a air unit, but then you get into the needing a Compressor, and I have NO room in the garage for that,

Overall this is to be used to lift the front of the bike/trike, not the back

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have both jacks simply because my Heritage is too low to the ground for the $90.00 jack. They both do an excellent job, had the $90.00 jack for 8 or 9 years and the $170.00 jack for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
cjmitch said:
I have a 1 ton auto jack from Wally World ($15) that I put under the engine with the bike on the center stand. It’s lightweight and easier to use that my aluminum mc jack. A couple of pumps and the front wheel is up enough for cleaning and inspection.

Maybe you could do something similar on your trike, blocking the rear wheels to prevent rolling.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
betthe said:
cjmitch said:
I have a 1 ton auto jack from Wally World ($15) that I put under the engine with the bike on the center stand. It’s lightweight and easier to use that my aluminum mc jack. A couple of pumps and the front wheel is up enough for cleaning and inspection.

Maybe you could do something similar on your trike, blocking the rear wheels to prevent rolling.
sounds like the right idea, thats what i often do and its so easy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
betthe said:
I have a 1 ton auto jack from Wally World ($15) that I put under the engine with the bike on the center stand.

So let me get this straight.
Is everyone putting the jack under the engine? and lifting it that way?
Will that damage the engine?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
cjmitch said:
Are ther any advantages to getting the Sears HEAVY DUTY Bike jack (the yellow one)
Here is the yellow unit
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00950191000&vertical=AUTO&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

or the regular unit at 1/2 the price.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00950190000&vertical=AUTO&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

REMEMER I HAVE A TRIKE, so which would yo use?
Looks very similar to the Harbor Freight ATV/Motorcycle jack and
it's on sale right now for $49.95
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=2792

Dennis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cjmitch said:
Did you take a close look at my picture?

One pad under the center stand, one under the engine (with Tulsa belly pan)

Jack up the front and back alternately a little at a time.

Place jack stands for extra stability.

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
There have been one or two reports of the bolts failing in some of the Chinese made motorcycle jacks. As a precautionary measure, I replaced all mine.

Here is the bolt info from another post in case you want to change your bolts...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I just put in an order to replace all the bolts on my Sears Lift with
bolts from Bolt Depot.com http://www.boltdepot.com/

I ordered 8 metric M12x1.75x80 for the lift mechanism and 2 M12x1.75x120 for the connection from the hydrallic jack to the lift bar. I ordered all bolts in the strongest grade made (class 10.9 in metric which is equivelant to grade 8 in SAE).

Total cost, including shipping was $24.07.

Once I get them and insure that they all fit and work properly, I will let y'all know in case any one else wants to order from them. I also told the folks at Bolt Depot to keep note of my order as others may call and want this same set of bolts, assuming the sizes all fit ok.

I did not order any nuts as they don't really support any load and I plan on reusing the existing nuts and washers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got the bolts from Bolt Depot for my Sears lift. They worked OK and are much stronger, but if I had it to do again, I would have ordered 4 metric M12x1.75x80 (instead of and 4 metric M12x1.75x90

The 80 mm are a bit too short for the 4 top bolts on the lift arms. They worked, but I didn't have much thread to get the nut onto. In hindsight, 90mm would have worked better for these 4 bolts. The lower bolts worked fine with 80mm.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Craftsman motolifts

I've had a couple of questions about those two lifts also. I'm trying to decide if the new aluminum one is really much better than the other. The lower profile seems like a good thing on the new version. I'm just not to sure about the lighter weight being advantageous though. I know that being lighter is good as far as mobility goes but wouldn't that effect the already questionable stability of these kind of lifts even more? Finally why doesn't some metal fabrication savvy person develop some detachable outriggers for increased stability?? I know they could get in the way but they could be also be designed with a low profile and different attachment location options so that you could keep your work area clear. Just some questions and thoughts I had. Terry

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The "lift" from Harbor Freight claims 4.5 inch clearance ... that's an inch better than the 5.5 claimed by Sears ...

I think I'll go down an pick one up today ... hard to beat for $49 even if one does have to change out all the bolts.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Both the Sears jack and the HF jack are made in China ... and they look identical ...

I think we're paying 20 bucks more 'cause it says "Sears" ...

Dennis

·
Registered
147 Posts
cost a little more but much more steady than that small one

A little wobbly but it sure makes it nice to clean the bike. See how shinny the aluminum wheels look. There is a trick to cleaning them. I use a little jack to lift the front tire so it will spin. I have one of those, but like the platform one better

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
cjmitch said:
Mitch, you might want to take a look at the following. There are some very good photos that could help. Scroll down about five posts to the one from "Hawk." Hope this helps. :)

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... 358763e285

Todd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Worried new GL1800 owner

I'm very worried about lifting this huge machine on two bars like these. The platform lift is impressive but I don't see what it does other than bring the bike to eye level. I like the ratcheting tie down straps feature on the aluminum model.

I bought one similar to the Sears model #34612 from Pepboys for $39.95 which was normally $49.95 but I took it back since I hadn't bought my GL1800 yet. They had it priced at $39.95 again on their day-after-Thanksgiving sale but I didn't go back.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
CJ Mitch

I have the Yellow one and like it better than my Pit Bull for storage. It is much lighter and stores better out of the way that the Pit Bull. It has metal wheels which move around better on my garage floor. I have two wheeler and I think the yellow jack from Craftsman/Sears would be a little under what I would trust just with one jack under a trike.

Check out Don Austin's set up. The two jacks he uses are a great idea and then he uses jack stands under the trike axles to stabilize.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts