GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a good quality jack to do basic maintenance including pulling off the wheels to have the tires changed. It seems like the more I read the more I am not sure what would be a good choice for the $. Sure the pitbulls get the best reviews but also cost the most. I read the reviews on this jack and many give it a thumbs up who are lifting heavy bikes. I would appreciate it if anyone has experience with this jack or another suggestion in this approximate price range. This is on sale now for $160. Thanks

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950191000P

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I would like a good quality jack to do basic maintenance including pulling off the wheels to have the tires changed. It seems like the more I read the more I am not sure what would be a good choice for the $. Sure the pitbulls get the best reviews but also cost the most. I read the reviews on this jack and many give it a thumbs up who are lifting heavy bikes. I would appreciate it if anyone has experience with this jack or another suggestion in this approximate price range. This is on sale now for $160. Thanks

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950191000P
I have it and use it for my wing all the time. It has not given me any trouble. It probably isn't as sturdy as some others, but lift it up and strap the bike down all is good. I will say, I bought it when I had a Yamaha 1100 Vstar, and couldn't see getting another when I got my wing!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
IMHO only - Putting my expensive bike on a jack not as substantial as a Pitbull just doesn't make sense.

People have used other jacks successfully but once you've used a Pitbull (or other similar jack) you'll understand what I mean. There is just no comparison.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The Craftsman Jacks are pretty decent quality. But on a bike the size of the Goldwing, they are far less stable than jacks like the Pitbull. Despite its 1500 lb capacity, it is much better suited for smaller bikes. (And despite what some people claim, it is not the same as the Harbor Freight jack.)

Based on how many people I know that own motorcycle jacks, the Craftsman steel jacks are the most popular. I would guess that is due to the low cost and availability. The only benefit of the aluminum one you are considering is that it is lightweight. But I think the steel one is more stable, and you can get them when they are on sale for less than $75.

I'm a safety fanatic, and my Craftsman makes me nervous based on how much the Wing makes it flex. If I decided to hang on to my 02 for a few more years, that is going to mean more frequent maintenance. And that means I will be switching to a Pitbull.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I need to clarify my post above. My opinion of the aluminum jack is based on my comparison of my aluminum car jack compared to a steel jack. It is a really nice jack, and I like it. but I can tell that it isn't quite as steady as any of my old steel ones. Others who own the aluminum one have said it isn't as steady.

I just didn't want to unfairly malign the jack by giving the impression that I owned one. I was just drawing a parallel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just bought a pitbull from Bulldog and have a Craftsman like the one pictured above for sale at $50.00 Its on craigslist and not one call? Yes I did use it for my Goldwing but the pitbull is safer:popcorn:

·
Registered
792 Posts
No to the aluminum for me - yes I have one of the steels.

For the amount of lifting I do with all three of my bikes I couldn't justify the cost of the pitbull. It's definitely a better jack, no doubt about it, but for the occasional lift the steel unit works just fine.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Varider, some have said that the aluminum jack you posted isn't as strong as the cheaper steel jack:

This steel one is $99: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/s_10155_12602_Power+Tools+%26+Equipment_Equipment_Mechanics+Equipment?keyword=atv+jack&sLevel=0&sLevel=0|2&prop17=

They say this red one is more stable. Personally, I do not know.
My bike is up on my red Craftsman right now. Took the front wheel off so I can get a new tire put on. It's stability is fine with straps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I use the Pitbull Dyna to pick up the Wing like a toy :thumbup:. It will raise it up to 25" total lift and I don't need any straps or tie downs even with the engine running.
I have 2 of the Craftsman yellow aluminum jacks that I use to raise and lower the wheels. I really don't care for the Craftsman valving being controlled by rotating the lift handle. Not much precise control. A little hand valve found on cheaper steel jacks give me more precise control to lower small amounts. I will probably sell the Craftsman jacks for that reason :nojoke:.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I got one from Costco years ago, similar to the steel Craftsman but with a foot operated mechanism. I've had my Wing on it without tiedowns, remove both wheels and even move the jack around with the wing on it, all without incident.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
You guys made me take a closer look at that aluminum jack. I would definitely recommend the steel one now, at least if the choice was between those two.

The steel one has a foot operated lift arm, and a foot operated release arm. That aluminum one looks like a converted automotive jack. I don't like that.

Good info given here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been using the red Craftsman lift myself for years. It's... okay is about the best endorsement I can give for it. If I can find someone local who's willing to give me some cash for it I'd jump on the chance and then buy a Pitbull, but I cannot seem to justify to myself buying the new one while the old one still works. I'll probably do it when I replace my old fashioned "bar' torque wrench with a digital one :)

But if you're doing limited work (tires, brakes, oil changes) it should work ok for you. Just make sure it's on level concrete and tied down.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I purchased that jack for the wing and do NOT recommend it. The narrow arrangement of the wheels near the handle and aluminum construction allow it to twist. It is not stable, but I am able to work on it.

I place 20lbs in the trunk and a 1 x 4 underneath the frame of the jack to keep the FatGirl from doing a nose dive.

Find another jack solution in my first hand opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
for those that have pitbull stand....

their website says special ending July 31st = $419

.... question is, where is the best place to get product @ best rate?

how much does shipping typically run?

Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Craftsman steel. If you cut a 2x2 to fit the flat area just ahead of the center stand and place the rear pad on that, the lift very level and stable.
This works great for me. You can put it on the side stand while on the 2x8's to get off the bike, then slide the 3" under the stand. Makes it easy to align the jack. Also less scary letting the bike down.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've used the red steel Craftsman jack for awhile now. I picked it up on sale for about eighty dollars. If you balearaide the bike well and then tie it down with the supplied straps it will stay where you put it. The second notch is about right for me to work on most anything on the Wing plus you can roll it about as needed.

IMO for the money this is a very good jack for the home user. If you work on several bikes a day, everyday you might look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts