GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently placed an ad on Craigslist to sell my 2004 Gold Wing. I received what I thought was a reasonable inquire from a woman who said she wanted to buy my motorcycle for her dad as a Father's Day present. She said she would pay my asking price and would have a shipping company pick up my motorcycle after the payment cleared PayPal. I Googled the person's name and found that she (if she was a she) had run this scam in the past. I called this deal off as soon as I read about the scams. It seems that the person who contacted me was out to steal my Gold Wing and that the shipping company was part of this fraud as well. They run this elaborate scam to make you think that your PayPal payment was received but that they needed some sort of Tracking number before it could be released. The e-mail that appears to be from PayPal which references your motorcycle transaction is not real and that it is a phishing e-mail. So the shipper picks up your bike, you think you have money in your account and then the money is gone when you actually log into your real PayPal account. I just placed my bike on Craigslist again, guess what? I got the same scam request, this time from a soldier in Colorado who wanted to run the same scam. Beware! I know place in my ad that I must meet and see the person who is buying my motorcycle and that cash must change hands at the bank to release the title.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
That scam has been around for quite awhile in various forms.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Mine was the son of man that worked on an oil rig, so I couldn't talk to him. They wanted to pay me 2 grand over my asking price so I could wire the excess money to a shipping company. When I insisted that I would deliver the bike where ever they wanted, even Alaska, if I could keep the 2 grand, they quit calling.

It's a scam where they send you more than needed and for whatever reason you have to send the excess back to them. Only the check bounces and your out the money sent to them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That scam has been around for quite awhile in various forms.
Look up "Nigerian scam". I get at least 1 for every vehicle I have tried selling on Craigslist. That or every mouth breathing hillscoggin that thinks he wants a "motorsickle".
Joe

·
Registered
874 Posts
Usually if it seems too good to be true it is... BUT not everyone on CL is a crook/scammer/scumbag etc. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff (and even given away stuff that I couldn't sell or just wasn't worth anything really) and actually picked up two motorcycles for free (with paperwork) from people just wanting to be rid of them. Obviously every case is different but if your mentality is that EVERY ad is a scam you might miss out on a great deal...I always try to contact the poster and actually speak to them and go from there...NO paypal however...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It's happened to me also. I ask them to send the truck with the cash money and we meet at my bank.
I never hear anything after that.

Barney

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a rule, that you MUST come and look at the item and pay cash if you want it. Once I have the "CASH" in hand, you can ship it anyways you want to.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Around here CL has got people robbed and worse. Never go to an address or alone. Sad.
Again, after I speak to them I tend to form an opinion of them and base my decision (weather to proceed) on dealing with them. But then again I am not on the "casual encounters" section! :cool:

Again I have had very good luck and made some GREAT deals and met so nice people (again 2 free motorcycles) and also have spoke to a couple of yahoos (and don't bother with them.) You can tell alot about the type of person simply by reading the ad. If the can't even spell what they are selling (a 1980 CAMRO comes to mind...Camaro) sometimes that is a clue. ALTHOUGH that isn't always accurate either. If you guys are afraid of CL that leaves MORE goodies for me!!! Of course a new GL1800 trike for $2242.00 PROBABLY IS A SCAM!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I recently placed an ad on Craigslist to sell my 2004 Gold Wing. I received what I thought was a reasonable inquire from a woman who said she wanted to buy my motorcycle for her dad as a Father's Day present. She said she would pay my asking price and would have a shipping company pick up my motorcycle after the payment cleared PayPal. I Googled the person's name and found that she (if she was a she) had run this scam in the past. I called this deal off as soon as I read about the scams. It seems that the person who contacted me was out to steal my Gold Wing and that the shipping company was part of this fraud as well. They run this elaborate scam to make you think that your PayPal payment was received but that they needed some sort of Tracking number before it could be released. The e-mail that appears to be from PayPal which references your motorcycle transaction is not real and that it is a phishing e-mail. So the shipper picks up your bike, you think you have money in your account and then the money is gone when you actually log into your real PayPal account. I just placed my bike on Craigslist again, guess what? I got the same scam request, this time from a soldier in Colorado who wanted to run the same scam. Beware! I know place in my ad that I must meet and see the person who is buying my motorcycle and that cash must change hands at the bank to release the title.
Exactly the scam some Nigerian thief tried to run on me for two cameras I was selling on Kijijji. They send a fake Paypal page that seemed to imply they had put the money into my Paypal account, which they didn't, when I checked. The tipoff was the Nigerian address they gave me to send it to.

We shared a few choice words via email which made me feel a little better, but the word is "beware"

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
There really isn't much (if any) worry when selling a vehicle on CL...just keep your insurance for a week after the sale to make sure all goes well. If it doesn't, you simply call the police, report your bike stolen and get a check for more $$ from your insurance company than you could have ever sold it for..

The "scams" on CL that you have to worry about are the ones that cost you money when you are buying, not selling...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You can tell alot about the type of person simply by reading the ad.
If you are reading the ad then I presume you are a buyer?
The OP was a seller.

The difference is pretty striking...

Buyers have much more to lose, especially when sending money for vehicles that don't exist. Sellers (like the OP) really have no worries as long as the bike is insured. I've sold several late model GL1800s on CL, some to out of state buyers. They were the ones taking the larger risk. Me? I have great insurance and if they ended up stealing it I could care less. I get the $$$ either way ;)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If it doesn't, you simply call the police, report your bike stolen and get a check for more $$ from your insurance company than you could have ever sold it for..
I'm not sure that is correct..

From my understanding, if you give it to a person, voluntarily, it's not considered stolen in either the Police or Insurance eyes. If you don't get paid, that's your problem, not the insurance or the police.

Reporting it stolen, in this situation, is committing insurance fraud.

I may be wrong......

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Never have them come to your home.

They could come back when your gone and get everything.

Barney
What? Why?

So someone knows where you live. Tons of people know where you live. Tons of people drive by my house every day. People see me ride my bike from my house and see me load up bikes to go to track days. Guess they all could come by and take everything.

Must suck to live in a world where you are scared of things like that.

My philosophy...you can't control bad. Sometimes it just happens. Carry insurance for big losses and live your life without fear, fear doesn't do much but stress you out anyway...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

From my understanding, if you give it to a person, voluntarily, it's not considered stolen in either the Police or Insurance eyes. If you don't get paid, that's your problem, not the insurance or the police.

Reporting it stolen, in this situation, is committing insurance fraud.

I may be wrong......
In Illinois, I was a PO there, it's called 'Theft by Deception' and is still considered a theft.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It is correct and your insurance company is obligated to pay you for your loss. These are criminal offenses, not civil.

Theft by Deception: There are two kinds of theft by deception. One is called false pretenses and the other is known as larceny by trick.

• False Pretenses - When you deceive someone into giving up possession and ownership of his or her property through some misrepresentation of the truth, such as lying, you have committed the crime of false pretenses. For example, if you lie to someone and tell them that you will pay $5000 for his or her car and they give you the car, with the pink slip, you have committed false pretenses.
  • Larceny By Trick - Unlike false pretenses, to commit larceny by trick all you need is to trick someone into giving possession of his/her property to you. For example, if you just tell a person you want to borrow his or her car, yet you do not intend to return it, you have committed larceny by trick.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Cashiers checks are not the same anymore. I had a dope sent me a $38,000.00 cashier check to buy one of my trucks. When to my bank and told them to verify funds which they were unable to do it was worthless. Only way to except a cashier check us go to the bank were the cash is and have them issue a check if you don't want to walkout with the money .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts