GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the manual says but is anyone really cleaning out the crankcase breather tube or even checking it every 4K miles? This seems a little excessive of a checking/cleaning interval. Has anyone tried to extent the tube to a more convenient location or even put a catch can somewhere that allows easy checking and draining? I've got 6K miles on my 2018 DCT tour and have never checked this but am curious what everyone else is actually doing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I know what the manual says but is anyone really cleaning out the crankcase breather tube or even checking it every 4K miles? This seems a little excessive of a checking/cleaning interval. Has anyone tried to extent the tube to a more convenient location or even put a catch can somewhere that allows easy checking and draining? I've got 6K miles on my 2018 DCT tour and have never checked this but am curious what everyone else is actually doing.

" .... seems a little excessive .............. ." A little ?? Nobody will have a GOOD answer for this as to why Honda recommends this, if in fact, they do. FWIW............I looked at mine when I changed the plugs at 15K. There was absolutely nothing there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
" .... seems a little excessive .............. ." A little ?? Nobody will have a GOOD answer for this as to why Honda recommends this, if in fact, they do. FWIW............I looked at mine when I changed the plugs at 15K. There was absolutely nothing there.
This is kinda what I figured. I don't know that I have ever checked this on any bike I've ever owned. I appreciate the response and won't put to much thought into it until I happen to have the covers off for something else, otherwise it probably doesn't sound like it warrant a specific check.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is kinda what I figured. I don't know that I have ever checked this on any bike I've ever owned. I appreciate the response and won't put to much thought into it until I happen to have the covers off for something else, otherwise it probably doesn't sound like it warrant a specific check.

True.................I'm a # 2 mechanic. Hardly know anything. I've had about a dozen bikes over a span of 30 years and about 1/2 million miles of riding. Almost every one of those bikes, I owned for about 50K miles or more. Some close to 100K miles. I'm 66 years old. Before this bike, 2018 DCT, I had NEVER, EVER checked the crankcase breather tube.

I can GUARANTEE you that, being a # 2, for the majority of those 30 years, I didn't even know what it was much less WHERE it was on the bike. Given THAT, how important can it be to check it ?

It can't be important. My NOT SO SMALL sampling PROVES it, right ?? Yes. To my knowledge, I have NEVER had a problem related to the crankcase breather.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I check mine yearly for 25 years (1995 VT1100C2) and never found anything. Just be careful on oil changes ie dont overfill and you will never have anything. Lots of Shadow owner have overfilled oil and ended up with a messy air filter and tube full of foam.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have ridden all day in a tropical Cyclone, west coast, south island nz where they .
The road was awash and you couldn't see the white lines.
Did 1/2 a dozen fording maneuvers along undulating coastal road.
1 where the culvert had blown out and it was rocks with a fast running stream from left to right, was a bit tricky. 😁
Water comming up onto and over the foot part of my riding boots. Crikey!

My tube was clean and dry after that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ridden all day in a tropical Cyclone, west coast, south island nz where they .
The road was awash and you couldn't see the white lines.
Did 1/2 a dozen fording maneuvers along undulating coastal road.
1 where the culvert had blown out and it was rocks with a fast running stream from left to right, was a bit tricky. 😁
Water comming up onto and over the foot part of my riding boots. Crikey!

My tube was clean and dry after that.
Wow, what a story! I would say if its dry after that I shouldn't worry!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Epic day fr sure, down the West Coast, New Zealand where they measure the rainfall ni metres.

Cyclone Gita. Greymouth to Kumara Junction, then up and over Arthurs Pass to the other side where it was warm and sunny.
Actually tipped water out of my boot at some stage. Haha

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I check mine, only if I'm in that area working, like changing my spark plugs...[once a year] .On both my 02/2010 and never seen any 💩 💩 in there...

Ronnie

Reactions: JHoss

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
When new, my 2018 had some reddish goo that had stained the "clear" tubing that reddish color. Nothing really to pour out. I was exploring how the body panels removed and replced, so checked it. I inspected the air box and found a heavier coating of the same reddish oily goo that Honda evidently puts there on assembly. I wiped it, bt did not really clean it off totally. On my 2002, I did find water in the down tube a time or two at pre-winter inspection and I attributed that to rainy day rides. On the 2002 I did route it to where i could check it under the lower cowl lights. Have not event thought about tht on the 2018. I figure while "in there", check it; otherwise don't worry, be happy.

Honda specs some group of services every 4,000 and both checks need extensive labor. Bullspit! Do ALL of the services at one interval and avoid all of that wear and tear on the body parts.

prs

Reactions: CO-GLrider

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When new, my 2018 had some reddish goo that had stained the "clear" tubing that reddish color. Nothing really to pour out. I was exploring how the body panels removed and replced, so checked it. I inspected the air box and found a heavier coating of the same reddish oily goo that Honda evidently puts there on assembly. I wiped it, bt did not really clean it off totally. On my 2002, I did find water in the down tube a time or two at pre-winter inspection and I attributed that to rainy day rides. On the 2002 I did route it to where i could check it under the lower cowl lights. Have not event thought about tht on the 2018. I figure while "in there", check it; otherwise don't worry, be happy.

Honda specs some group of services every 4,000 and both checks need extensive labor. Bullspit! Do ALL of the services at one interval and avoid all of that wear and tear on the body parts.

prs
Thanks for the detailed response. I think I will check the tube when the covers are off for other maintenance items like you suggested. I only ride in the rain if I'm on trips not when just going out for a local cruise.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had never even knew that drain hose existed until I had my 2002 and maintenance manual for it. I have found that most of the time it is dry, but I cannot say that after a few hundred thousand miles among the different year models I have had has it always been dry. I have seen a couple of oily-watery drips to about a teaspoon come out. But it has been dry more often than not. I usually only check it when checking valves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can easily see the tube by looking by the left side rear cylinder. It's a clear tube and can see if anything has accumulated in it. I just went out to take a peek. It is really not a big deal to check it. If you had to drain it it would only require you to take the left side cylinder cover off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts