GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Why can't the plug just be left out?
You are not supposed to drip oil/foam onto your rear tire or the street so the tube is plugged. Drain into a small container for recycling.
Actually, the tube will suck in unfiltered air into the cylinders. The other end is in the bottom of the air box after the air has passed through the air filter. It may not be that much air, but I am sure that air will come from where there is the least resistance allowing it to suck up an ugly amount of dirt and grime.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Actually, the tube will suck in unfiltered air into the cylinders. The other end is in the bottom of the air box after the air has passed through the air filter. It may not be that much air, but I am sure that air will come from where there is the least resistance allowing it to suck up an ugly amount of dirt and grime.
Just to clarify: my Vt1100C2 crankcase drain tube drops down from the centre lowest point of the air filter housing, surrounded by air filter ie "inside" the filter and therefore any air being sucked up the tube would have to pass through the filter. Is the GL drain tube "outside ie in front and not lowest point of the filter? How does anything drain?

1614068070824.png

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Just to clarify: my Vt1100C2 crankcase drain tube drops down from the centre lowest point of the air filter housing, surrounded by air filter ie "inside" the filter and therefore any air being sucked up the tube would have to pass through the filter. Is the GL drain tube "outside ie in front and not lowest point of the filter? How does anything drain?

View attachment 379617
If what is pictured is a "can shaped" air filter with outside air coming from the inner part of the "can" and through, you will still be pulling in unfiltered air into the intakes through an unplugged drain hose. That picture would not make any sense if it were not a "can shape". The diagram also does not show that the filter seals off the drain forcing draining liquid through the air filter nor forcing any inflow of air from an unplugged drain hose. Air flows from high pressure to low, with "low" being in the cylinders not the "dirty" side of the air filter. On 1988-2018+ Goldwings, the bottom of the air box is the filtered air with a flat filter across the box and "dirty" air at the top of the box.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I checked mine at 12,000 miles and there was nothing in it. When I checked it at 65,000 miles there was about an inch of oil in the bottom.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Leave it plugged to avoid intake of unfiltered air AND to allow it to catch blow-by oil and water. If open, the engine vacuum will prevent the oily gunk and water from being trapped. Trapping the gunk instead of burning it keeps the crankcase oil cleaner and more dehydrated.

prs

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maybe just a fed requirement to put the check in the manual?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,474 Posts
If you ride in extreme temps, condensation can collect inside the air box and it needs to be drained out so it’s not pulled into the engine and burned. This can mix with the oil residue from the crankcase breathing, which makes a nasty “milkshake” that you don’t want in your engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
seems like with a little ingenuity the tube could be extended to an area that is easier to reach for inspection and draining...

·
Registered
23 Posts
seems like with a little ingenuity the tube could be extended to an area that is easier to reach for inspection and draining...
As seldom as that tube needs to be inspected, a small panel removal easily accessed from the outside of the bike is a pretty easy procedure. If they’re going to spend their energies to make things a little easier, I would rather they attack the deep dive for the air filter. But, that’s just me. 😁

21 - 33 of 33 Posts