GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new owner to this trike came here for an oil change, and to have its air filter replaced. When I pushed the start button to bring it in, I notice that it cranked over strong, but it took about 4 seconds of cranking time instead of 2. Strong but to long ... Ya I know ... most wouldn't notice that, but my ear clued in on that immediately. Especially after the customer had just reported, with receipts in hand, that he'd just had the valves adjusted, and new spark plugs installed, and a new battery was part of the purchase. He's owned the trike for a short time and has only put 4,000 miles on it.

I shared with him the facts ... the crank time was to long, it cranked over healthy and these are the main reasons a 5th gen will take to long to crank:

- weak/failing battery
- valves not set to center spec
- worn spark plugs
- gas additive

My customer confirmed that no additive was in his tank. The battery cranked the engine over in a healthy way, and without testing the battery, I doubted that was the problem. Also, the exhaust did not stink ... that can rule out ignition, and if the exhaust does not stink, it must have clean gas. In my mind, suspicion was leaning towards valves not adjusted to center spec. And that was done by I shop that I know sets the valve to center specs, and the owner would only use the correct NGK spark plugs ... hummm.

Here is what I accidentally discovered. An accessory was tapped into the Bank Angle Sensor circuit (BAS). A very odd find !!! Someone was using the BAS circuit to supply power and ground to a volt meter. What kind of idiot would do that ???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
From my observations there are many different kinds of idiots. Some of the more dangerous idiots are the ones with gobs and gobs of knowledge but don't know how to use it. I suspect the one who did that wiring job was just a common, well-intended idiot without adequate knowledge of the Goldwing's wiring.

Did you rewire the voltmeter? If so, did rewiring the voltmeter shorten the time for the engine to start?

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
A new owner to this trike came here for an oil change, and to have its air filter replaced. When I pushed the start button to bring it in, I notice that it cranked over strong, but it took about 4 seconds of cranking time instead of 2. Strong but to long ... Ya I know ... most wouldn't notice that, but my ear clued in on that immediately. Especially after the customer had just reported, with receipts in hand, that he'd just had the valves adjusted, and new spark plugs installed, and a new battery was part of the purchase. He's owned the trike for a short time and has only put 4,000 miles on it.

I shared with him the facts ... the crank time was to long, it cranked over healthy and these are the main reasons a 5th gen will take to long to crank:

- weak/failing battery
- valves not set to center spec
- worn spark plugs
- gas additive

My customer confirmed that no additive was in his tank. The battery cranked the engine over in a healthy way, and without testing the battery, I doubted that was the problem. Also, the exhaust did not stink ... that can rule out ignition, and if the exhaust does not stink, it must have clean gas. In my mind, suspicion was leaning towards valves not adjusted to center spec. And that was done by I shop that I know sets the valve to center specs, and the owner would only use the correct NGK spark plugs ... hummm.

Here is what I accidentally discovered. An accessory was tapped into the Bank Angle Sensor circuit (BAS). A very odd find !!! Someone was using the BAS circuit to supply power and ground to a volt meter. What kind of idiot would do that ???
JMO, but I think you are really grasping for straws when you say using a gas additive is going to increase the cranking time before starting on a gen 5 wing. I used a gas additive for several years in a gen 5 a month before winter storage. Zero difference in cranking times.

Same applies to my 18 wing. Last year a month before I put it up for storage, I added the recommended amount of Seafoam every time I filled up. Again, same result, no difference in cranking time to start.

:doorag:

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMO, but I think you are really grasping for straws when you say using a gas additive is going to increase the cranking time before starting on a gen 5 wing. I used a gas additive for several years in a gen 5 a month before winter storage. Zero difference in cranking times.

Same applies to my 18 wing. Last year a month before I put it up for storage, I added the recommended amount of Seafoam every time I filled up. Again, same result, no difference in cranking time to start.

Have you considered that a typical GW owner will dump an entire container into a small tank of gas, or nearly empty tank ... or that 2 bottles is better then 1 ??? I can assure you that diluting gas on a 5th gen with a non-explosive liquid, or less explosive liquid, can cause greater crank time and make the exhaust stink.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Gregg,
Ronnie here!
(2010 1800 trike)

Question here too you if I may: What I always do when I'm planning on a very long trip (when I know that I will be using up a full tank of fuel in that day).. is to add either a 1/4 can of Seafome OR Startron. or a fuel injector cleaner into the tank to keep those injectors clean .......It gives me the deep good inside feeling that I'm keeping those injectors clean.... Am I just fooling myself doing this and wasting my money OR am I doing the right thing?? Again I only use a 1/4 can

Thanks for you 4 your help!

Ronnie
I visited you with my wife last year.. and thanks for your hospitality by the way...

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Have you considered that a typical GW owner will dump an entire container into a small tank of gas, or nearly empty tank ... or that 2 bottles is better then 1 ??? I can assure you that diluting gas on a 5th gen with a non-explosive liquid, or less explosive liquid, can cause greater crank time and make the exhaust stink.
The recommended concentration of Seafoam is one ounce per gallon of fuel. Gen 5 fuel tank, 6.6 gals so that would be 6.5 oz. of Seafoam for a full tank of fuel. There are 128 oz per gallon. 6.6 gals times 128 oz per gallon is 844.8 oz. Therefore the amount of Seafoam in relation to the amount of fuel is 6.5/844.8 which equals .0076. Move the decimal point two places to the right and you have .76%. That .76 percent of Seafoam in a full tank of gas is not going increase the cranking time to start and make the exhaust stink.

Doesn’t surprise me that some wingers would dump two bottles in a half or quarter tank of fuel and not top the tank off. Quarter tank of gas, 32 oz of Seafoam, that would be 15% Seafoam. Yea in that case crank time probably would be longer and the exhaust would smell different.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gregg,
Ronnie here!
(2010 1800 trike)

Question here too you if I may: What I always do when I'm planning on a very long trip (when I know that I will be using up a full tank of fuel in that day).. is to add either a 1/4 can of Seafome OR Startron. or a fuel injector cleaner into the tank to keep those injectors clean .......It gives me the deep good inside feeling that I'm keeping those injectors clean.... Am I just fooling myself doing this and wasting my money OR am I doing the right thing?? Again I only use a 1/4 can

Thanks for you 4 your help!

Ronnie
I visited you with my wife last year.. and thanks for your hospitality by the way...
Hey Ronie ... I remember your visit :) I'm not a big advocate of using chemicals such as gas additives. On my GoldWings, I don't think I've ever used one. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever added an additive to any vehicle that I've owned. If you are gonna add an additive, add it and run the tank. Be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle.

When I was a mechanic at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer we were expected to add a can of Dri-Power to the tank after tune-up. Of coarse we all did, because there was a $0.50 token inside. When the Dri-Power rep came by we'd cash in and have lunch money for a couple of days. I never like using it because it would throw my emissions way off.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Interesting thread... I would swear my 2013 is cranking a bit longer before it fires. Engine cranks quickly.

If I have my GPS fully spooled up with engine "off" .. when I start the engine. The system does a full reboot with the Welcome screens and GPS. As I recall: the bike when the engine is started, it did not do a full reboot with the screens and GPS if they were already in operation. Makes me wonder if the battery is a bit weak.

And: yes the battery is the OEM 2013 when bike was new. The spark plugs have 40k miles on them. The valves were in spec at 32k check. They have not been checked recently. Current miles 68k ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts