GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 gL1800. Rode all day, yesterday. On/off several times and restarted as usual. Checked into hotel, parked, and covered it. This morning all it does it crank. Got a quarter tank of gas. Kick stand is up.

Of course it's Sunday so no dealers open. I'm 200 miles from home. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Wiggle kill switch? Shouldn't crank if stuck but strange things happen. Turn key off and on and listen for fuel pump to load up? I have heard of at least one battery that would crank, but not spin fast enough to start.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
2010 gL1800. Rode all day, yesterday. On/off several times and restarted as usual. Checked into hotel, parked, and covered it. This morning all it does it crank. Got a quarter tank of gas. Kick stand is up.

Of course it's Sunday so no dealers open. I'm 200 miles from home. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?
Put it in neutral with the side stand down and crank it for at least 10 seconds, it should flash the FI light at you in long and short flashes. example: 1 long and 3 short= 13 Count them and come back, I suspect it will be 19.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Won't start.

Can you check the battery voltage. You will need a minimum of 10.4 volts to start the Goldwing. They can go from good to bad rather quickly. Have you tried to jump start it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't listen for the fuel pump. Didn't know about how to get the FI to flash code. Went across the street for coffee and calm down. I'll go back and try both of those in a few minutes.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
Had a kill switch experience on my old wing so that was the first thing I tried.
The kill switch on this wing will not let the starter turn the engine if its not in run or has any kind of connection issue, in other words, if its bad enough to keep the engine from starting, it won't spin the starter either. Do my test above and see if you get a code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got back to the bike and this time after it cranked a bit, it started. Hopefully, it will start again after I get gas. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had the same problem over a year ago. I did what techdude said to do. What I found is that the crank sensor and the wiring harness is two different types of metal. I cleaned both contact points and it has work ever sense. Moisture gets in and a little corrosion sets in. A lot of people just replace the sensor but the connector is the problem. Hope this helps. Techdude know his stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rolled it into the sun when I went for coffee so that May have helped. Started ok several times on the way home. Dampness on the wires from overnight ? Don't know but ran fine all day. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week and see how it goes. Thanks for all the good advice.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
I rolled it into the sun when I went for coffee so that May have helped. Started ok several times on the way home. Dampness on the wires from overnight ? Don't know but ran fine all day. I'll keep an eye on it over the next week and see how it goes. Thanks for all the good advice.
Glad it didn't act up the rest of the day. The crankshaft position sensor is a common cause of bikes not starting. We don't know for sure without a failure code, but if you get the time, you should pull the front lower gray and upper black cowl off and trace the sensor wire out of the top of the big timing cover back to its plug. Pull it apart and check the pins for corrosion, spray a little contact cleaner into it and plug it in and out a couple of times to scrub the pins a bit. Hopefully you won't get any more no-start mornings again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts