GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would dodge the coolant leaks on my 2005 wing.

Looked under the front cowl today and saw a few blue drops on ground.

She's been sitting about a month and a week due to weather.

Looks like it's time to go exploring for loose clamps.:22yikes:

later..Randy

·
Read Only
842 Posts
Been there....done that, and I still have enough of a leak to cause a fresh smell every time I start it up cold. I tightened the 3 clamps at the "Y" as well as all the clamps accessible behind the side covers last winter ('09), and as soon as it started to get cold weather again, the smell is back. I'm not seeing a puddle this time like last winter, but it does give off a fresh smell on warm ups.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I was going to say welcome to the world of the 1800 GW, but I see you have been here for awhile! I tightened mine down well over a year ago and so far so good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Coolant

Just check your coolant level occasionally, add a little if needed and ride the chit out of her!:yes:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
coolent leaks

Board, to find small leaks use a mity-vac

to pressure the system. Connect a hose to

the radiator overflow on the neck below the

radiator cap. Or any 10/14 PSI source.

When the system holds pressure over night;

problem solved.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
a few years ago mine would leak and smell on startup, fortunately it was the clamp on the left side rite behind the shift lever, very easy access, with quarter inch drive ratchet and extension, if i remember rite it takes 6mm socket, gave it about a quarter turn and the problem was solved :thumbup:

this fall when it got cold it started leaking from the same spot again :evil: took about 5 minutes to tighten and the problem went away again :thumbup:

i hope fixing yours is just as easy :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
a few years ago mine would leak and smell on startup, fortunately it was the clamp on the left side rite behind the shift lever, very easy access, with quarter inch drive ratchet and extension, if i remember rite it takes 6mm socket, gave it about a quarter turn and the problem was solved :thumbup:

this fall when it got cold it started leaking from the same spot again :evil: took about 5 minutes to tighten and the problem went away again :thumbup:

i hope fixing yours is just as easy :thumbup:
Mine leaked in the same location.Only both clapms (one each side) leaked.
I could smell it when it was warm only.Never saw drop on the ground.

I have a Stant Pressure tester.Go to a auto parts store that loans out tools (for a deposit),Make sure you have the adapter for Honda Radiators.The neck on out 1800's is the same size.

Remove the lower cowl & Both header covers.
Then pressure test the system.If they are leaking it will show up there.
My bike is a 04 w/93K and all my clamps were tight under the tank.But they missed the two hose clamps under both of the cyl heads.

Here is a thread by Soloquest showing all the clamps.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196496

Here are the hose/clamps under each cyl head you need to check first.
Check the easiest things first.:doorag:

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have a Stant Pressure tester.Go to a auto parts store that loans out tools (for a deposit),Make sure you have the adapter for Honda Radiators.The neck on out 1800's is the same size.

My bike is a 04 w/93K and all my clamps were tight under the tank.But they missed the two hose clamps under both of the cyl heads.

Thanks Rocky and others,

Are the exhaust covers hard to get off?

I've had the front cowl off and that was a pain to get the several layers of plastic lined up right, when going back together.

Those clamps look easy to get to however.:cool:

Thanks Again..Randy

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks Rocky and others,

Are the exhaust covers hard to get off?

I've had the front cowl off and that was a pain to get the several layers of plastic lined up right, when going back together.

Those clamps look easy to get to however.:cool:

Thanks Again..Randy
Randy.The header covers (Why Honda calls them the lower cowls is beyond me?) are held on by two 10mm acorn nuts on each side.and one 10mm bolt in front of each cover.

The front lower cowl has to come off to get at the front 10mm bolt that the cowl covers/hides.

After the cowl is off.You remove the front bolt and then the two side acorn nuts of each cover
Then pry out the header cover off the studs you took the acorn nuts off of.
Then you slide it forward,Because the rear is held inplace with built in tabs that have rubber tips on them for anti-vibration purpose.
You'll see how you need to re-instell the covers once you slide them off.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Rocky Thanks for all the pics. and informative information helping us other GW riders :thumbup:
I know this is a older thread I found it in search,my wing started leaking coolant yesterday and I believe it's from this location
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I remember someone had an issue of a nipple thread leaking? May have been the same hose adapter piece. All was fine after replacing it. About 3 years ago I think it was posted. Right side if I remember correctly also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The reason these hoses leak is not because the clamps loosen...its because the hoses loose their compressive resistance to the pressure of a clamp....making it appear the the clamp loosened. (you can visualize this by removing a clamp and seeing it's permanent imprint on the hose).

Best thing to do is to get new hoses (use good quality ones (thick) from an auto parts store if you can....(cut to fit)).....get NEW (round) WIDER (more pressure over wider area) hose clamps, and use gasket sealer on fittings before installing. This will do a permanent job...

Also, the plastic "Y" under the seat should be removed and sand the manufacturing "groove" flush. I have found that fluid leaked it's way past this groove.

If you want to do the job once, this is what to do.

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
Best thing to do is to get new hoses (use good quality ones (thick) from an auto parts store if you can....(cut to fit).
Just an FYI ... many of the hoses' ends are a different size, so OEM is the only real option.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I remember someone had an issue of a nipple thread leaking? May have been the same hose adapter piece. All was fine after replacing it. About 3 years ago I think it was posted. Right side if I remember correctly also.
GL03 Thanks for the extra information :thumbup:.We have about 5" of snow on the ground,I think it will be a good day to find that coolant leak. Pretty sure the leak is coming from the front,last year I topped off my rear shock fluid and tightened all the hose clamps at the "Y" connection Thanks!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I just found new one and a couple other guys found the same
right near where you drain the clutch fluid the hoses that go to the
part that has the drain for coolant these hose clamps have been found so loose you can turn them with you finger
under lower front cowl right where your seeing fluid?
worth a look ?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Great theory but mine were several turns loose with 2000 miles on it
yes I pulled it completely apart new, but missed a couple under front cowl
Honda simply is not tightening them from new.

The reason these hoses leak is not because the clamps loosen...its because the hoses loose their compressive resistance to the pressure of a clamp....making it appear the the clamp loosened. (you can visualize this by removing a clamp and seeing it's permanent imprint on the hose).

Best thing to do is to get new hoses (use good quality ones (thick) from an auto parts store if you can....(cut to fit)).....get NEW (round) WIDER (more pressure over wider area) hose clamps, and use gasket sealer on fittings before installing. This will do a permanent job...

Also, the plastic "Y" under the seat should be removed and sand the manufacturing "groove" flush. I have found that fluid leaked it's way past this groove.

If you want to do the job once, this is what to do.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I just found new one and a couple other guys found the same
right near where you drain the clutch fluid the hoses that go to the
part that has the drain for coolant these hose clamps have been found so loose you can turn them with you finger
under lower front cowl right where your seeing fluid?
worth a look ?
Thanks for the information :thumbup:

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
if your lucky the and its the clamp on the left side by the shift lever thats leaking, that clamp can be tightened very easilly without removing any thing, just push in the rubber flap next to the shift lever and reach in with 6mm socket, its very easy to see on that side :thumbup:

if its the right side thats leaking its a lot more fuss but does not require removing the front lower cowl, i have done it by just removing the 3 front lower cowl bolts on each side so thay the front lower cowl can be swung out enough to get at the front exhaust cover bolt, then the 2 lower exhaust cover nuts and it can be removed pretty easilly by sliding forward to remove then access that stinkin right side leaking clamp :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts