GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my '06 Titanium Wing is dead and gone. :frown: A lady pulled out in front of me a couple of weeks ago and totaled my Goldwing. I wound up with a couple of broken ribs and a lot of bruising on my left side, but the bike took the brunt of the impact on the left front corner of the engine. I feel like she gave her life for mine. My injuries came from hitting the ground and rolling after the bike was knocked out from under me. The ladies car (Chevy HHR) was hit pretty hard, blowing out her right front tire and ripping off the fender and headlight bucket. Unfortunately the impact to my wing was so great that it cracked and warped the frame, so she was totaled.

Although I'm still a little gimpy and on pain killers, I managed to make my way to the local Honda dealer. I was really figuring on buying another Titanium Wing, but it seems that the number of 2009 Titanium Wings with ABS and no air bag are limited, so I went with the Limited Edition Blue. It's a beautiful bike :thumbup: and as long as I don't have any more idiots pulling out in front of me, it will be in the family for many miles and years to come!

Phil
www.wingriderproducts.com

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously. Sound like the bike took a big hit and you escaped in way better shape. Try as we might they just don't see us and pull right out, looking right at us. I have started to wear a high visible florescent green/silver stripe vest when riding to be more visible. Hope the new one will last you forever and not give it's life to a blind cage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously. Sound like the bike took a big hit and you escaped in way better shape. Try as we might they just don't see us and pull right out, looking right at us. I have started to wear a high visible florescent green/silver stripe vest when riding to be more visible. Hope the new one will last you forever and not give it's life to a blind cage.
Thanks John!

One thing my wife and I thought about is that the lighter color may give the cage drivers better visability to me and I've considered your suggestion about the more visible clothing too.

Ride Safe!
Phil

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Really glad you are OK. Don't stop doing your deep breathing exercises, you don't pneumonia.
Hope you have a chance to farkle up that new one before it gets dirty!:congrats:

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
great to hear u came out as well as u did :yes1:

Titanium looks very nice but unfortunately it blends in with everything, blue is a nice color and a lot easier to see

congratulations on the new wing :yes1:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Was just wondering why you are dicounting the airbag, if she gave her life for you I would think she would want you to have the best protection she didn't give you.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Phil - best wishes on a quick recovery and the new bike. Glad to hear you are getting right back on the horse.:thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was just wondering why you are dicounting the airbag, if she gave her life for you I would think she would want you to have the best protection she didn't give you.
Thanks for everyone's well wishes. I do feel pretty lucky to have gotten out with as few of injuries as I did.

In response to the question about the airbag. In my particular accident an airbag would not have benefited me because the accident was not a front on impact type collision, which is what the airbag is designed to protect the driver against.

I guess one of the primary reasons I didn't get an airbag model was because I really liked the control layout (radio-com buttons) on my '06 and the airbag model relocates all of that. I know the airbag could be beneficial, but with the option of keeping the controls the same as they were on my '06, that's what I did. One other factor was that the dealer had the blue one in stock and a titanium of any type would have to be brought in.

Thanks again for all of your well wishes!

Phil

·
Vendor
21,390 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Congrats on the new bike, maybe it will help ease the pains.

I just bought a new BRIGHT YELLOW helmet to go with my Blue Bike, and I'm looking for a new YELLOW jacket.

Anything you can do to make yourself more visible is smart. It won't make you seen by everyone in every circumstance, but it will definitely increase your odds.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I hope you recover fully and quickly. Enjoy the new ride!

prs

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident Phil. At least you can be thankful for it wasn't too bad on your body...Glad you didn't give it up, good old cowboy, gittin right back on the old horse.....:thumbup:
:bow:

We haven't gotten to try out the trunk supports yet, it turned cold and snowy right after I got it installed but we plan on giving it a work out next summer...

The replacement sounds magnificent!!!! (thats greek for beautiful) :thumbup:blue is my favorite color but I settled for dark red just because it was the best deal I found.. Jack

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Thats a rough way to get a new bike. They can stare right at you and still pull out in front of you. Thats the way they are sometimes

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Now that's one sneaky way to get a new bike. :joke:
Seriously, I'm glad your injuries were limited and you're on the mend. Hope you came out OK with the insurance company.
I saw the LE Blue at the Motorcycle Expo Show and I think it's a great color. :thumbup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad to hear that you were not hurt more serious than you were. You will be sore for quite some time.

I laid mine down 9-23-08 and still have some pain at times.

Take it easy and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Joe in Redding

1 - 20 of 45 Posts