GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were out riding yesterday and we got run off the road by a senior woman in an SUV on a back road. I won't go into the detail except to say she was driving in the middle of a narrow back road when we past coming out of a turn in the opposite directions. My wife and I are sore but no damge to us. We had full face helmets and I was wearing a Tour Master Tranistion jacket/ First Gear pants and she had a Joe Rocket Touring jacking/pants (All with full CE armor). If anyone is interested I'll post pics later to show how well these jackets and pants did thier duty. Shoei rf-1000 proved itself as well.

Back to the wing...We went off the road then went down on the left side and took a 40 foot slide through large chunks of rock and asphault rubble. There is some scrape damage to the body work, but I was amazed at how well the front and rear guards did thier job. They saved our feet, legs and ankles as well as the engine. I expected the wing to look destroyed when I picked it up. This is one fantastic safety feature.

I've been riding for 24 years wihtout an accident and just started riding with body armor this past summer. Needless to say all my riding gear will include it in the future.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ATGATT!

mdb, Glad you and your wife are safe!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:yes1: Chuck - Glad you and the wife are okay. Sounds like it could have been a very nasty spill. I also started riding with JR armor this summer. I still have to work out pants. Gotta get the wife in it too. Been lucky for a long time. Again, glad to hear you are okay and the Wing held up well. Hang in there. :D

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
sorry to hear u crashed, reading about how quickly accidents actually happen is a good reminder to b prepared

did the lady in the SUV stop ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the well wishes. Yes it could have been worse. To answer a couple of questions...

The lady in the SUV did not stop, but given the angle of the up hill turn she was making she may not have seen us go down. She did yell sorry when we had to go around her, but we were upright at the time and I was focused on trying to keep us on the pavment.

For me this was more of a lesson learned. For 24 years I rode in T-shirts, leather jackets with no armor, jeans etc. This was until a little voice in my head convinced me to try body armor. I have always riddent with full face helmets. I am still a firm believer that we all assume our own level of risk, but I am now convinced the safety gear really works and I intend to use it all of the time.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Sorry that you had the accident but glad it was not worse.

If your story helps another person to rethink their riding gear, in some strange way it was worth it.

As we all hope that we never have to use the protective gear we buy it is nice to know that it will help if needed depending on circumstances of course.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mbd said:
I've been riding for 24 years wihtout an accident and just started riding with body armor this past summer. Needless to say all my riding gear will include it in the future.
sorry to hear about your get-off, but damn glad it wasn't worse. no accident in 24 years, then you start wearing proper gear and *only then* have a wreck. you must be living right. keep it up. :)

like you, i'm impressed with the crash bars. i haven't slid my ride, but my previous wing was dropped a time or two. those guards definitely do their job.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Glad everyone is ok.

Speaking of armour...does anyone know if there exists a mesh or kevlar pant with armour that would be hot weather friendly...a similar concept to mesh jackets?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Crossrodes said:
Glad everyone is ok.

Speaking of armour...does anyone know if there exists a mesh or kevlar pant with armour that would be hot weather friendly...a similar concept to mesh jackets?
Bohn Body Armor features Cool Air Protection that can be worn under jeans or your favorite non-armored textile pants. I have worn them under everything from jeans to firstgear overpants to leather.
http://www.actionstation.com/

This summer I upgraded my First Gear Mesh tex pants

Now I have Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants

1 - 10 of 10 Posts