GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they can make corners, but I was jumping to conclusions that a crotch rocket can go around a corner. They seemed to low side around corners at doable speeds. Yeah I know sand oil and the like, but it was odd. Some of those had to have gone to the hospital too. It was a bit of sensory overload with them all coming one after another. Some were clearly rider goofs. But man.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Are you watching blooper reels?
Most of the lamest crashes are people on Harleys. It's not even close.
I'm not condemning Harleys, just making an observation.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I started riding 6 years ago, I began watching some of those videos to learn where motorcyclists make mistakes and get into accidents. What I learned was that a majority of these show that the rider could have avoided most of these accidents and that some of those people should not even be on the road, except walking along side it. When I approach or see a crotch rocket or grom, I tend keep my distance from them as I expect them to begin sliding down the road at any moment. But I too like the "Fails" videos as they are educational as a "what not to do" and entertaining at times.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, having ridden crotch rockets on occasion, I can attest to the supreme handling and total performance of the machines, I find the videos so disheartening because I believe that were I the one on that bike in each of those videos, I would have made the corner. Arrogant? I suppose, but you have to to even get on 2 wheels and head out into todays traffic!!! I came away from the barrage of crashes, overstating the concept that those bikes don’t work. The airplane ones can be downright scary. It’s amazing that anyone walks away. Anyway, we all know what we can do, we have been riding for a very long time. stay safe and watch out for the crash rockets :eek:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
So, having ridden crotch rockets on occasion, I can attest to the supreme handling and total performance of the machines, I find the videos so disheartening because I believe that were I the one on that bike in each of those videos, I would have made the corner.....

I feel the same. I have a CBR1000RR, has 12,000 miles on it, all me... and I've never crashed it. Most of these videos are folks going too fast for conditions, freezing up due to changing conditions, not remotely knowing how to properly ride a motorcycle... especially knowing how to use the brakes and swerve....

How many just ride into the hazard without even remotely trying to miss it? I also feel a lot of these folks get the bike, get the leather suit, knee pucks etc and it makes them over confident riding the bike. They think, "I'm protected.... I can push it!..." and ... wrong. Much less the ones who think they are a really great rider and I don't need a helmet... folks who think they are experience with all of 6 months under their belt. I actually saw one guy on YouTube say he was qualified to be giving advice on riding because he'd been riding "over a year..."

When people ask me about riding, possibly getting into it, I ask them what do they think the most important thing to learn first with riding a motorcycle is?... I get all kinds of answers, but never the one I'm looking for... "the first and most important thing to learn is to know how to STOP it... "

:p

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It's enough to make you lose your faith in Darwin.
Or realize how many just don't get basic physics... I had a ED doc tell me about a guy recently trying to load his ATV in the pickup and.... a few seconds later ended up with a broken leg, pelvis, and arm... and a minor head injury (that he was lucky wasn't major...). This guy's Christmas plans, much less the plans for the next six months, just changed.........

Congrats Gary on post #5000... I've been here since 2007 and I'm way behind you...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Oh, videos in general rather than a specific one. Would anyone care to post some that can be graded?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts